• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lever Gun?

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 5, 2009
    WA, USA
    I am in the market for a large bore "bullet proof" lever gun. I am looking for something other than wood furniture. Not a big lever gun guy, but I am thinking 45/70 or something else that lobs a big chunk of lead. anyone do more "modern" versions of these classics?

Don't think the furniture matters so much but I think you are looking for is a pre-Remington ownership Marlin 1895.

Reactions: fanninland

^played with one of these X series the other day at the LGS. It’s actually not a bad feeling blaster. Another option is the Marlin Dark Series.

Reactions: Spooky68
    Don't think the furniture matters so much but I think you are looking for is a pre-Remington ownership Marlin 1895.

Or wait for Ruger to re-launch the Marlin line-up, which is my plan.

Reactions: Runnineh
    Wait on a Ruger/Marlin, buy a pre Remington Marlin, or buy a Henry (I like my Henry .45 Colt) as far as “reasonably priced” options go.

There’s also various recent manufacture 86 Winchesters and Brownings floating around.

.45-70 is a really fun round, from mild to wild. My Ruger #1 is accurate, light, and points like a quail gun (though it is a single shot and not a lever gun).

A used Marlin 1895 or wait until Ruger begins manufacturing them again. Or.......drop $3K on a custom rifle from Big Horn Armory out of Cody, Wyoming and have a pretty broad selection of cartridges including the 500 S&W!

I’m running homemade 430 grain cast bullets from my Marlin GG @ 1790 fps gettin 1 1/4” 5 sot 100 yard groups. It will do pretty much anything that I could expect from the rifle/cartridge combo! memtb

You can also spend a LOT of money on one at Turnbull Restorations.

I took my chances on a newer Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70 a few years ago and it's been perfect. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen though, I handled a bunch before picking mine. A few had weird wood fitment issues.

I have handled a few different Remington era 1895 and 336 very late stuff is much better finish. I ended up buying a stainless trapper 16.5 inch barrel and a SBL 18.5 inch. Fit and finish on both is good. Feed and cycle very nicely.

Reactions: ZG47A
    Hi have a Chiappa Alaskan, 20" in .44 mag and I like it and Chiappa do various takedowns in .45-70 as well.

My .44 Mag currently with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope

ju8Ssv9l.jpg

Skinner carry case:

aOppM28l.jpg

E1a0zd9l.jpg

Reckon should be good for a cleaning kit / rod and an MTM box of 50 rds.

El1Owhvl.jpg

And when you unpack it:

SZkmfbSl.jpg

Hm8K79Cl.jpg

And out on the range:

8vXPHrWl.jpg

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Hi have a Chiappa Alaskan, 20" in .44 mag and I like it and Chiappa do various takedowns in .45-70 as well.

ju8Ssv9l.jpg

Skinner carry case:

aOppM28l.jpg

E1a0zd9l.jpg

El1Owhvl.jpg

And when you unpack it:

SZkmfbSl.jpg

Hm8K79Cl.jpg

And out on the range:

8vXPHrWl.jpg

Best wishes,

Scrummy
    That Chiappa Alaskan was unobtainium even pre-pandemic. Been waiting for a 44mag 16" since February, may be another 6 months. How does the takedown mechanism hold up after multiple disassembles?
    (Sorry don't mean to hijack thread, but this is a pretty rare levergun!)

Reactions: Scrumbag
    That Chiappa Alaskan was unobtainium even pre-pandemic. Been waiting for a 44mag 16" since February, may be another 6 months. How does the takedown mechanism hold up after multiple disassembles?
    (Sorry don't mean to hijack thread, but this is a pretty rare levergun!)
    So far so good. It's a pretty solid piece of kit. The threads are large but not coarse and seems to be well done.

(JMB designed the original 1892 including the takedown and he seemed to know what he was doing)

Last edited:
    You're right, now corrected :p
    That being said, is it the Browning or Wild West Co-pilot design or something of their own? Not familiar with what Chiappa did there, they have some cool stuff of their own in revolver design.

That being said, is it the Browning or Wild West Co-pilot design or something of their own? Not familiar with what Chiappa did there, they have some cool stuff of their own in revolver design.
    John Moses Browning designed the 1892 for Winchester which included a takedown.

I understand that the Chiappa is a fairly close copy of that original Winchester 1892 design - https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1892/current/model-1892-trapper-takedown.html They look very similar.

I'm not sure what Wild West did I'm afraid.

Scrummy

Reactions: 6.5SH

ju8Ssv9l.jpg

Skinner carry case:

aOppM28l.jpg

E1a0zd9l.jpg

El1Owhvl.jpg

And when you unpack it:

SZkmfbSl.jpg

Hm8K79Cl.jpg

And out on the range:

8vXPHrWl.jpg

Best wishes,

Scrummy
    How does the Chiappa do in regards to feeding? 44mag and 44 special? I know Marlins had some feeding issues (remington gen).

How does the Chiappa do in regards to feeding? 44mag and 44 special? I know Marlins had some feeding issues (remington gen).
    I've found it pretty good.

Have fed it:

44 mag:
    210 gr Sierra JHC
    200 gr XTP
    Prvi 180gr and 240gr FPJ
    Geco 250gr Jacketed and 240gr Soft Point
    240gr cast Pb RNFP

44 spc.
    200gr Magtech Cowboy Action loads

I've not had any issues but with that nice long taper the Magtech has I imagine it would feed in anything.

I understand (though I am certainly no expert and happy to be corrected) that Win '92s and their clones are less prone to COAL issues than the Marlin 1894s.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

I've found it pretty good.

Have fed it:

44 mag:
    210 gr Sierra JHC
    200 gr XTP
    Prvi 180gr and 240gr FPJ
    Geco 250gr Jacketed and 240gr Soft Point
    240gr cast Pb RNFP

44 spc.
    200gr Magtech Cowboy Action loads

I've not had any issues but with that nice long taper the Magtech has I imagine it would feed in anything.

I understand (though I am certainly no expert and happy to be corrected) that Win '92s and their clones are less prone to COAL issues than the Marlin 1894s.

Best wishes,

Scrummy
    I might have to look for one.

Thanks for the replies, all. The Chiappa and Henry X look great.

Last edited: