• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Leverevelution Ammo

Natep

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2009
Central, MO
Has anybody here had any experience with this ammo? I shot a deer with it yesterday in 444 Marlin and was kinda disappointed in the expansion of the bullet. The exit hole was only about half again bigger then the entrance hole. Perhaps my expectations of the bullet having alot more expansion then that where to high.

Re: Leverevelution Ammo

I have shot several with the 45/70 Leverevelution and all went bang/flop. It may have just been the big hunk of copper and the short distance of the shot, but I was impressed. I like not having to blood trail.
smile.gif

Did the deer die, and quickly? Not sure that I'd be too disappointed, lol. I shoot the same in .30-30 and had my first kill with it this past weekend up in Macon, MO. Regular sized entrance hole, and the exit wound was considerable. The lever guns aren't known for outstanding accuracy, but I can keep around a 2" group at 100m, certainly good enough for me/deer. I'm very happy with it all around.

A buddy of mine shot deer 2 years in a row with a 44 mag leverevolution. Both were good shots (kill zone for a high power rifle) and approx 100yards. Both ran off. One was tracked about 100yards and was dead. The other went about 75 yards and laid down. We found the second one still alive 3 hours later and had to shoot him again. I was stunned to see how good the bullet placement was and the deer not be dead. The shot was square in the shoulder and IMO would have been very dead using a caliber that created a larger wound channel. He likes lever guns and is going to a 30-30 with soft points next year.

No more Leverevolution for him, at least in a 44 mag.

Hope this helps.
Trilogymac

The deer ran about 10-20 yards and fell over, kicked flopped around a bit and then expired after about 5 minutes. I hit just a little higher then i would have liked, but still a solid hit a little high behind the shoulders. I shot a buck last year in the same place with Remington Core Loks in my 7-08 and he folded up right there. The bullet did considerable damage internally. The 444 just punched a hole.

18" barell wincester 94 357mag 50yards = venison sandwich i highly recomend it

I just bought a ton of the .44 cal 265 grain FTX bullets to play with in my 44 mag lever gun. I would think the flex tip would help with controlled expansion, even at the slower velocities.

Also, does anyone have any trouble cycling the flex tip ammo in a lever gun? I was curious if it made a difference.
Thanks!

Chad

Ive not shot mine that many times and certainly not cycled it with enough speed to see if there could be an issue.

Hopefully some deer with it next week out of the 30 30. I have gotten it shooting pretty good with some sight tweaking since the POI was waaay off from my regular old 150s.

My buddy clipped a small button buck last Saturday, but only hit its leg, so I had to finish it for him. Shootin' LeveRevolution 150 gr. out of my Marlin .30-30, it was hit right behind the shoulder, ran about 25 yards, and dropped. Regular size entrance wound, had a roughly 2.5-3" exit though, even pulled a handful of guts out with it. Pretty happy with it, first kill with the new ammo.