• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LF Good Hearing Protection

bassani

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Mandeville, LA
I have been looking at some of the different styles out there and want to get a set of over the head hearing protection muffs. This would be mostly for indoor pistol shooting so I'd want it to really be higher dB protection.

I see that now there are the electronic versions that somehow stop the gun fire sounds but amplify normal speech sounds allowing for communication. I'm not quite sure how they do that but that sounds like a desireable feature.
I'd like to hear from people that have tried these types of hearing protection to see if they actually are effective for both dampening the gun shot sounds and allowing you to hear normal speaking volumes.

If i am going with an electronic pair, I see that most allow for you to use them for listening to devices via jack ins. Does anyone know of a brand that allows for bluetooth technology?

Thanks for your input

Re: LF Good Hearing Protection

We are an authorized MSA Dealer. MSA claims to have a Bluetooth version, but I dont think it really exists.......

Any time I shoot indoors, I wear foam plugs and muffs (MSA/Supreme Pro X). The extra protection is a bonus, and I can turn up the speakers on the muffs and still hear my surroundings.

http://www.triadtactical.com/MISC-Shooting-Gear/

I have used Peltors in the past and now currently have 2 pair of MSA's that I got from Triad. They work very well. I can hear normal conversations without a problem. I don't have to shout when I am talking with them on either (something I do with non electronic muffs so I can hear myself). You can adjust the volume of the speaker for how loud you want to hear things. I use them when hunting everything from doves to deer to turkeys. When turkey hunting I usually end up turning them down some because the mosquitoes get annoying. Whenever a loud noise like a gunshot goes off the electronics automatically shut off blocking the noise.

I have an original pair on Peltor ComTacs (not the newer design with the considerably larger domes). They have been through some nasty stuff over the last 10yrs or so and they keep on ticking as long as I change the batteries as needed. The noise reduction is excellent and normal conversations can be heard/participated in with ease but yet they block out any sound over a certain decibel level (i.e. - gunshots, etc.). It is an excellent piece of kit.

A friend of mine has the MSA/Sordin Extreme Pro X set and they are very nice. If/when my Peltors finally bite the dust, I'll likely move over to that make/model as a replacement.

As for bluetooth, the electronic models I have seen with that technology are HUGE...like for dedicated aircraft/communications uses. The domes on them are way too big for shooting (at least rifle shooting as they'd keep you from getting a decent position on the rifle).

I'm replacing my HL Sport Muffs with some MSA Sordins from Steve(TriadTactical), I'm looing forward to abusing them.

My MSA Supreme Pro X showed up today, thank you Steve, first impressions, battery changes might suck, I opted for the Silicone rings, these things are super comfortable, the level of volume is nice, after 25years of being a aircraft mechanic my hearing is no way perfect, full blast is too loud, my HL Sport muffs full blast isn't enough, did I mention these things are comfortable, they appear to be made with hard use in mind, the wires are beefy, and shrink wrapped to the bows, the buttons are easy to actuate, the microphones are sensitive to the rear even though there located in the front of the ear pieces, all in all money well spent so far, I hope to abuse these for years to come, now I think I'll get TAB to make me custom cover with my name embroidered on it.

I have the impact sports ones. They work great for hearing speech and killing the high decible sounds. However, for the best hearing protection, most recommend running both in ear plugs and over the ear muffs to try to stack up the protection ratings. The main problem I have with the over the ear muffs is shooting with a rifle. I can never seem to get a good cheek weld with them on, and if I do, the stock shoves the muffs over so that they really aren't doing a whole log of good.

I realize your shooting pistol so likely won't have this particular issue, I am just pointing it out in case you want to use these muffs as sort of a multi-use scenario. If that is the case, I would suggest more the in-ear versions, and run maybe cheaper muffs on top when pistol shooting.

Of course the best solution when your shooting by yourself is to run hearing protection with a suppressed firearm.