• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LH Bolt handle interference with S&B PMII

1luckeyt/a

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Okinawa
I’m in the process of planning out my LH M40a5ish build. I already have the McMillan USMC spec A4 but in LH. What I’ve been thinking about is if I get a PMII will there be enough space to work the bolt without crushing my thumb on on the illumination knob? Does anyone have experience running a PMII on a left hand rifle that can weigh in?

Since it’s left handed and will never be a true clone I do have some freedom of movement on this. If a 90 degree bolt throw doesn’t work with the scope I could pick a nonstandard action that would look close if you squint real hard and maybe can pass a field sobriety test or use a different scope. Either way just brainstorming right now. Last option that just popped in my head, try to find a 3-15 premier. But correct me if I’m wrong, if that scope were to break I would be screwed on getting it fixed.

Last edited:
Most lefties remove the illumination off the PMII for the reason you describe. It's not super expensive and it is reversible.

Big fan of PMII scopes so I vote do it!

Reactions: 1luckeyt/a
I might still search out a premier. I don’t know yet. I still have to find a LH Rem 700 action, which seem to be pretty hard to come by these days. So time is on my side to get it figured out.

I might still search out a premier. I don’t know yet. I still have to find a LH Rem 700 action, which seem to be pretty hard to come by these days. So time is on my side to get it figured out.
Yeah, nevermind on that premier thought, if you can’t find parts that’s a dead end until the Marine Corps lets go of all their abused scopes.

For what it's worth, the illumination by today's standards sucks on the PMII.

When I'm shooting with it behind a clip-on, I can barely see it on full intensity. It only lights up the center dots on my H59 reticle.

The brightness on a cheap Bushnell would blow the PMII out of the water.

I think the light transmission makes up for this, personally, but your mileage may be different. A ZCO would be a comparable option with current illumination tech.

I was issued quite a few over the years and I think I had 1 that worked. Luckily the reticle is so thick, with some ok natural illumination you can pick it up. Probably me just holding on to the looks more than anything.

Bringing back the dead...
I have multiple lefty rifles with SB PMII and the all work fine. Stiller Tac30 pictured, Bighorn TL3 and a BAT TR, all work fine with the illumination knob.
1.4" era-tac and Spuhr and ARC M-BRACE, 1.5" height mounts.

Scott

22DE1860-83AD-47C5-97A2-284075073111.jpeg

FBE78AD5-925D-46AA-B699-D12309D2B135.jpeg

Reactions: 1luckeyt/a
It depends on a lot of factors. The illumination knob doesn’t interfere with AI rifles, but it does interfere on a Tac Ops and on a custom rifle with a Defiance Ruckus lightweight action in a light fiberglass stock. I could use taller rings to help it clear, but that would throw off other elements of overall fit. I ended up snagging a PMII 6-36 for the Tac Ops rifle.

Bringing back the dead...
I have multiple lefty rifles with SB PMII and the all work fine. Stiller Tac30 pictured, Bighorn TL3 and a BAT TR, all work fine with the illumination knob.
1.4" era-tac and Spuhr and ARC M-BRACE, 1.5" height mounts.

Scott

View attachment 8308285

View attachment 8308288
This is my experience as well. My S&Bs have been on both of my AIs and my Anschutz...no issues at all. I have used 36mm tall ARC rings in all applications.

Last edited: