• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

LH Remington 700 Actions - Where to buy? Also: Custom Receivers?

LeadSlinger585

Private
Minuteman
I'm looking to buy some Remington actions in the near future, ideally before 2014 (CA long gun registration deadline).

Brownells has a bunch, but all right handed :( Is there an online retailer who sells left handed Remington receivers? Or do I have to trawl Gunbroker, et. al. for cheap Remmys and have 'em disassembled?

I'd like to get 2 LH receivers for a 308 and 2 long action receivers for a 270-or-30-06 and a 300WM-or-338 (currently indecisive on the latter 4 calibers).

Any sources?

Last edited:
As a fellow lefty, I feel your pain. I have had the best luck on Gunbroker.

If you are going to have it trued and the whole thing, just order an action from Stiller.

They more than likely have them in stock. I did a couple years ago, it wasnt in stock and took around 4 months to get it. Not a bad wait though for a custom action.

Look in the Left Hand For Sale thread, and place a WTB ad...that's what I did. Although after owning 3 Stiller TAC 30's, I'm not sure why I went through all the trouble. I will have more money into the Remington once it's all trued up...

Go custom it might be $100 or so more up front but the machining and tolerances and advantages are well worth it.....
I'm a lefty and most of the time the whole rifle is bought just for the action......

Remington 700 youth model 243 in LH from big box retailers for donor action <$500 if you catch a sale. Sell off rest of the parts and your cost basis goes down.

Thanks for the replies fellas!

If you are going to have it trued and the whole thing, just order an action from Stiller.

They more than likely have them in stock. I did a couple years ago, it wasnt in stock and took around 4 months to get it. Not a bad wait though for a custom action.

Look in the Left Hand For Sale thread, and place a WTB ad...that's what I did. Although after owning 3 Stiller TAC 30's, I'm not sure why I went through all the trouble. I will have more money into the Remington once it's all trued up...

Go custom it might be $100 or so more up front but the machining and tolerances and advantages are well worth it.....
I'm a lefty and most of the time the whole rifle is bought just for the action......

I like the idea of a custom action.

Just to make sure I understand:

Custom actions wouldn't need to be blueprinted and trued? Just install lug, trigger, barrel? They're also a copy of the Remington 700 and therefore compatible with Rem 700 parts?

I'm thinking I'd get a stiller for a hunting build, but would prefer a non-fluted bolt for a "tactical" build. Any suggestions? Or can you request a non-fluted bolt from Stiller?

A good gunsmith will double check even a custom action for the need of blueprinting. Some will say it won't be necessary depending on the actions precision and parallelism, but most that I know will still clean it up ever so slightly. The guy that says a custom is only $100 more is taking a very long look at it, if you compare costs of purchase it is usually something like $500 for a M700 action and $1000 to $1100 for a basic custom action.

If you really want to go with a left handed Remington 700 action. Iron Brigade armory (deathfromafar.com) sells complete Remington 700 action in both left and right handed versions.

I would also look at Defiance for a quick and top shelf product. I have one in LH that I really like. Also have a rem, and it's just not cost effective to true up a 700 when you look at resale and the $100 or so difference. My 2 cents.

Hello:

Just Read your post for a LH Remington 700 Receiver for a 7MM-08 build. Any luck in your search. I need one also.

Can anyone offer any other suggestion?

How are the Savages? I may need to change my direction.

Thank you.

RCRTR

[email protected]

Gunslinger

Was wondering how you made out. Looking for LH 7MM-08 or 243 (I think they are the same). At this point I would consider a Savage short action if it ws LH.

I thank you for any help or direction you can give.

RCRTR

I have gone thru the same hassle as you are. If you think you might sell it down the line, go with a custom action but your still looking at 1K to $1200 or more. I recently went the used route and got a SA here and stripped it and am selling the extra parts which isn't that easy. Got $50 for the barrel and still haven't sold the stock. Iron Brigade seems like the best deal for an action. Although long actions are running cheap and plentiful on gunbroker. Then send it to Chad at Longrifles for the truing. You just can not beat that deal. Costing me $225 for complete truing plus a custom lug and pinned. So now I'm only in a little over $700 for a perfectly trued 700 action as good or better than a custom action. And if I get rid of the stock even better.

I went defiance on my lefty actions. Gonna be a decent wait though. I hear great things about the stillers thinking of a stiller 223 myself.

Remington 700 youth model 243 in LH from big box retailers for donor action <$500 if you catch a sale. Sell off rest of the parts and your cost basis goes down.

This. Watch Buds Guns as they get a few in from time to time. That's where I bought my son's LH 243.

My .02,
Remington from Academy sports (cheapest I can find) $379+tax= $415ish
Blue print action (what I charge) $75
Most everybody wants the tactical bolt knob- $90
Badger recoil lug- $28
Most any decent pic scope base- $100+
Total= $708
Stiller with 20 moa pic base and heavy lug= $1000
And you'll need a trigger, Rifle Basix (what I use) $150
Total $1150
But if want the remy to be dolled up like the stiller, add another $125 for side bolt release, and $90 for fluted bolt, $125 for a m-16 extractor cut. Now the Remy is $1048 still with a factory trigger.
I make more money on a Remington due to the labor charge, but unless you already have a Remington action the Stiller is apple to apple the best bang. Tooter

FYI...Gander Mountain has left handed R700 SPS Varmints in both .308 and .243 listed in stock right now. They aren't especially cheap, but if you're looking for a lefty remmy, here are a couple available.

Your Statement about Academy Sports

I checked out Academy Sports. You were not kidding with the price you paid for the donor gun. Wow. My problem is they had no LH avail. Any other sources?

What are you shooting out of this beauty? I do thank you for your time.

Thanks

RCRTR

My .02,
Remington from Academy sports (cheapest I can find) $379+tax= $415ish
Blue print action (what I charge) $75
Most everybody wants the tactical bolt knob- $90
Badger recoil lug- $28
Most any decent pic scope base- $100+
Total= $708
Stiller with 20 moa pic base and heavy lug= $1000
And you'll need a trigger, Rifle Basix (what I use) $150
Total $1150
But if want the remy to be dolled up like the stiller, add another $125 for side bolt release, and $90 for fluted bolt, $125 for a m-16 extractor cut. Now the Remy is $1048 still with a factory trigger.
I make more money on a Remington due to the labor charge, but unless you already have a Remington action the Stiller is apple to apple the best bang. Tooter