• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LH shooter, RH bolt

7mmShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2013
New York
Hey guys, I've been playing around with my Argos BTR on my 300 Win. After seemingly figuring out my Length of pull, to get the eye relief where I feel comfortable, I had to take the Extended rail mount and turn it backwards to get things situated. Bolt cycles fine now with plenty of clearance, which was why I did it, also because all of my father's rifles are RH... Ideally I'd like to teach myself to shoot RH as well... Especially considering all the offerings for right handed shooters (Barrett, Armalite (unless your lucky enough to find a LH AR-50 lol), Howa, RPR, Savage 110 FCP, etc blah blah blah), but for right now this should be a decent adaptation. Only thing now is the recoil lug on the rail isn't positioned as it is meant to be. I can see that possibly being an issue.

Am I looking into this too much, probably..., but what do you all think?
​​

I've shot right handed guns all of my life as a lefty and actually prefer them. I've shot left handed ones before and running the bolt is a little nicer to actually not have to break position but its not that big of a deal in my experience. I can shoot both sides pretty evenly, I'm a smidge slower shooting right handed but it's just a practice issue. It has little benefits here and there, I can burn down a mover stage keeping my right hand close to the bolt.

My partner on the PD was lefty and shot an RH bolt gun (Sig). He regarded it as a benefit from the bipod because he could maintain his grip and trigger position while cycling the bolt. We shot together for years and competed in police marksmanship events, including at Gastonia, very successfully.

IMHO, it's not a handicap at all once you get the muscle memory down.

Cheers,

Sirhr

My partner on the PD was lefty and shot an RH bolt gun (Sig). He regarded it as a benefit from the bipod because he could maintain his grip and trigger position while cycling the bolt. We shot together for years and competed in police marksmanship events, including at Gastonia, very successfully.

IMHO, it's not a handicap at all once you get the muscle memory down.

Cheers,

Sirhr

This^^^
Trigger discipline is a solid practice with this technique also.

R

Another lifetime of shooting RH guns here as well.
I do now have some LH pieces in my collection, but if I am shooting from a rest of any kind I prefer the RH setup.

Im an ambidexterous shooter.....and i prefer to shoot RH bolt guns left habded when prone.....i find it a lot easier to work the bolt and chuck another round in....

I do prefer to have an appropriate handed gun when shooting postitions though

IMG_20170416_213833.jpg That's the one good thing I like about how I have it setup currently, I can run the bolt as hard and fast as I'd ever want without breaking position or smacking my nose (issue that spurred this whole conversation). EGW does a dual extended rail for SA 700s, so I'll talk to them and see because that's all I changed was reverse the rail to get that extra inch at the back... Thanks guys, and I tend to agree. I don't get to practice as much as I'd like to but I'm going to work on it. Its also why I tend to prefer 70* or less throw actions as it solves the issue without any funky mods. Anyone used the Bradley Adjustable Cheekrest? Thinking about grabbing one to replace the foam one I have currently. Thanks again for the advice gentlemen!

Last edited:
Talked with EGW about doing a custom extended rail, it'd be over $250. Not gonna go that route when that's what I paid for the rifle lol. Muscle memory seems to be coming in a bit, so I'll just keep focusing on that and doing a bit of support side work.