• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LH shooting RH bolt or LR308 in Tac Competition

LongArm

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2007
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have a question about left handed competition shooting with a RH bolt action or auto loading LR308 or LR260

I am a left handed shooter. I am slotted to shoot in the Bushnell Brawl. Which is better for a lefty in a Tactical match/competition a right handed bolt action (260 Rem) or a short barreled (16"-18")LR308? The accuracy is a follows
- bolt action(24" barrel)is a 1/2" moa 5 shot group shooter.
- LR308(16" or 18"barrel I have 2 I can shoot)is a 3/4"-1.25" moa 5rnd group shooter.

My problem comes when I am slung up and shooting positional. I have a RH bolt so I have to reach over the rifle and run the bolt. Also when shooting left handed I have to move my weak hand farther to reload and get back on target. I do not shoot positional normally, so I have been practicing right handed, right eye'd positional shooting (both left and right are kinda awkward but doable). It occurred to me that if I one of my auto loaders it would not matter which side I shot from I would not have to reach over run the bolt or move my weak hand to run the bolt.

Each has its draw back. The bolt action is more accurate but I would have to compensate for the right handed bolt movement. The auto loader is faster to shoot but less accurate and needs more hold over for elev/wind and when you lock the bolt to the rear you lose a round before dropping the mag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: LH shooting RH bolt or LR308 in Tac Competition

More than likely at that match you will have to shoot your rifle from both shoulders anyway.

Semis are a pain because when moving you will have to eject a round and lock the bolt back, and there's a lot of movement at RO. That, and as a lefty it will be ejecting in your face, so at the very least I wouldn't run a can with it.

Thanks for the input. I also run a adjustable gas block SLR DA7 an was intending on running a can (to get more velocity)if space permits. I have a question though, I know it take a little more time to lock the bolt to the rear on a auto, but would the time be made up on stages where I would need to shoot in different positions (and run the bolt with the wrong hand or reach over the rifle)? It has a brass deflector as well.

2012-09-27092921.jpg

2012-09-27094400.jpg

Well I'll toss my cents on the table. God so blessed me as a left eye dominant but right handed soul. I shoot a right bolt rifle from my left side. The only time that it is a challenge for me is off hand or sitting. Everywhere else I feel like I am ahead of everyone else because I can run my bolt with out moving my hand from the trigger area. As for sitting or off hand practice practice practice.

So if I was i the your shoes I would take the more accurate rifle hit what I can and learn from the rest!

As much as I like to buy shit and tinker, I think I am going to practice shooting kneeling, sitting, standing shooting from the right side with my right eye. I don't shoot from those positions so I am hoping with plenty of dry fires I get better at it.

I'm a lefty. In your case I would take the gas gun. I started this "habit" with a right bolt rifle. Once I got my first left bolt, learned how to drive it, and learned how much faster I could cycle I loved it.

I am on the opposite side of the coin from JCWarrior. The non firing hand is holding the rear bag under the stock. With a left hand bolt you can maintain sight picture easier while cycling the bolt with the left hand, leaving your right hand to do it's job steadying the rifle. If it were a better system to use rifles with the bolt handle on the wrong side more right handed shooters would be buying left hand bolt actions, but that is simply not the case.

I agree, I wish I knew how far or how many long (ie 800-1200 yard) shot we will make in the comp. My bolt gun is a laser when I don't screw it up. My semi is moa'ish, easier, and faster.

I really want a left handed AIAW. I can't afford the $7000 price tag.

I've been shooting left handed for 50 years. You get really good reaching over the cycle the bolt, or using the "weak" hand and work the bolt.

I shot LH with a RH bolt for quite a while but when I starting getting serious about comps I had to switch. All is well and good in the prone position, but as soon as you get off the ground into alternate positions and barricades, running a LH bolt rules. For as dynamic a match as the Brawl will be, I would run the gas gun.

Yes Graham is correct and it will be a PITA when moving, but it's a small price to pay. As far as the accuracy goes, from what I have seen, most of the match is medium to short range shooting with generous targets. There are long range precise shots too but much of the match is based on the stress of time pressure and alternate shooting positions. The little that might lose with the long stuff you can get back with speed on the shorter shots.

CM

I believe you are both correct. I am going to look into a better barrel and a scope mount for my bushnell DMR. I will run this match with the right handed bolt. The next match I will be ready with a good auto!!

I shoot just like the OP and would be in the same situation if i were in a comp. Ill take all this data in when considering my rifle choice for when i can get to a shooting comp. Thanks guys

I'm a lefty. In your case I would take the gas gun. I started this "habit" with a right bolt rifle. Once I got my first left bolt, learned how to drive it, and learned how much faster I could cycle I loved it.

I am on the opposite side of the coin from JCWarrior. The non firing hand is holding the rear bag under the stock. With a left hand bolt you can maintain sight picture easier while cycling the bolt with the left hand, leaving your right hand to do it's job steadying the rifle. If it were a better system to use rifles with the bolt handle on the wrong side more right handed shooters would be buying left hand bolt actions, but that is simply not the case.

I agree.... I am left eye dom and shoot left sided.My hunting rifles a lefty bolt guns. My precision rifle is a AI right hand. I usually have to break my cheek weld to cycle the bolt. I may ultimately switch to right side shooting because of this issue and I love the rifle to much to switch to a different rifle.