• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Liberty Optics 2011 SHOT Show Report

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hiders,

This wasn't my best show, had some family issues and only got on the floor about 2.5 days, so had to hoof it and focus on the new stuff. Same old Sands Expo, if you weren't on Level 2 you had a pretty poor venue for optics. The warm ballroom lighting and limited lines of sight make functional evaluation very limited. I've taken this in account with my comments. The best testing of optics is outside where you actually use them, and we will take an active role in evaluation of competing brands in the spring to get you the studied opinion you need to make your purchase decisions. Hope you enjoy, and feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Scott

<span style="font-weight: bold">IOR Valdada</span>: Those of you familiar with our history know we got our start with this brand, and, like a marriage, we've had our ups and downs but we have stayed "together" through thick and thin. The fact is, IOR scopes have evolved constantly over time and have improved markedly in the last couple of years. The reliability of the scopes (measured in real terms, as in customer returns/complaints) is simply leaps and bounds over several years ago, and the so called "Gen 4" scopes have a 100% track record since their introduction about 14 months ago. I can't accurately tell you what's inside a Gen 4 scope that makes it work so well and hold together, but I know the engineers at IOR have built a better mousetrap. These new scopes are going a long way in shedding the oft-heard IOR axiom of "great glass, crappy internals". The scopes track like they are on rails and pack in tons of features for less money than most competitors. The service provided by Scott Cornella and Val has improved by leaps and bounds too, which is probably one reason our sales in these scopes jumped 70% from 2009 levels...people are looking for value, and getting it...

Introduced late 2010, the flagship scopes of the "Gen 4" series are the 3.5-18x50 and 6-24x56 series of scopes. Both feature mil/mil FFP, or moa/moa SFP, exposed knobs, digital illumination, 35mm tube, side focus, MP8-A5 reticles in the FFP models, and a new redesigned eyebox with great eye relief and easier mounting. I've gone on record as saying the 3.5-18x50 is the best IOR long range optic we've sold and sales and feedback have supported that. IOR glass in a perfectly tracking and 100% reliable-to-date design with all the features you demand...yeah, that works.

However, you pay me for the preview of the new stuff....

Four scopes of note made their debut on the table today.

First up, is the heretofore mentioned 1-10x26 model In the hand, I personally thought the prototype was pretty sweet. It had a true 1x that had no noticeable funky issues or defects..their is a touch of tunnel vision from 1-1.5x and then it's gone. The glass is typical IOR and looked very good, even at 10x. Eye relief is forgiving and the overall design is quite impressive. This scope is FFP, with a MP-8 style reticle with a dot. The digital illumination allows you to light the center dot "daylight bright" orange, the rest of the reticle green, or both. The 35mm tube allows for 30mils of travel (!) so the 10x with side focus is actually useful for long range work. Exposed 1/10mil knobs with zero stop. Arrival is likely June, specs are subject to be changed (esp the reticle design) and price point is estimated at $2000-2200 street price. I think this will be a hot item this summer.

Next up was a 1.25-10x26 model that will be FFP or SFP (the scope I examined was SFP). This scope differed from it's cousin in that it had no side focus, capped, low profile knobs (Lupy M2 style) with no zero reset and zero tunnel vision from 1.25x. The glass and sight picture were very clean, the scope had a funky "show and tell" 4a style reticle and Val hinted this would have a hunting version and a Tac version. Same digital illumination with 30mils of travel. I'm not keen to the subtleties of optical design but the 8x zoom on this model did just fine with no side focus but it seems the 10x zoom of the above model would benefit from the side focus. What is most striking is that these designs seemed to work, just making their debut, while others have struggled to bring these wide-zoom scopes to market. These scopes promise to be an exciting addition to the IOR scope line.

Another nice surprise and sensible addition to the stable is a 4-16x50 FFP model featuring a MP8-XRT (xtended range tactical) reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, digital illumination, long focal length for easy mounting and a pricetag that will be less than the 35mm FFP models. The XRT reticle is similar to the MP8-A5 but has additional windage holdover points in hash format and further increases the utility of the MP-8 reticle. This scope's reticle has 25mils of holdover capability at 7x and 17mils (61moa) visible at 16x. Lighter in weight and of a more conventional design, I feel this scope will do very well when it comes available this summer.

Finally, the "big" surprise was the debut of the 12-52x56 "Terminator" ultra long range scope. A departure for IOR, this 40mm tube scope will be a limited edition and is designed for super long range work on large caliber guns. The scope is a SFP moa/moa design, 100moa of travel, 20moa of reticle hashes from the crosshair in 1moa increments, illuminated center dot, 16" long, 3.5" of eye relief, and a weight of 3 pounds. Four key features on this scope make it unique for IOR. First, the design has an AO, but instead of the entire front bell rotating, only the portion at the front end of the main tube rotates (similar to the body focus on the Nikon ED Fieldscopes). One of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. This allows the actual objective bell to be of a slimmer profile. It's pretty clever and once you see a pic it will make sense. Second, the scope's magnification ring has detents on the numbers that correspond with multiples or fractions of the 24x used for ranging, so that ranging calculations are simplified when using other than 24x to range a target (the correction value is listed on the mag ring). Third, the scope has a blended 1/4moa / BDC style knob with interchangeable turret caps for either .338 Lapua, 50 BMG, or straight 1/4moa increments, with zero stop. On the caliber specific models, the turret is marked with numbers in different colors corresponding to the range in meters. When you rotate the knobs upward, different color lines on the turret base of the scope become visible and correspond with the color coded values on the turret. It's an easy and intuitive system to use once you understand it. Finally, the Terminator is the first IOR scope to use HD Flourite glass throughout the optical system, which takes optics to a whole 'nother level, so you can actually see better than ever before, and take advantage of the scopes high magnification....priced will be about $2999 and I expect this to be another IOR market value leader.

Val has introduced a new line of binos and the top dog is the new TRX 10x42 RF series, Asian-made ED-glass models with great military styling, black rubber armor, integrated caps, old IOR-style soft contoured rubber eyecups, and an MP-8 reticle in the right barrel. For around $400, these binos are tough to beat and look like they can take hard field use with aplomb. Available without reticle too. Many of you were able to receive the 8x32 models for free during the holidays. Simply worth the money, bottom line.

Finally, I met the maker of the V-Tac series of rings and rest assured these are indeed made in the USA. I won't divulge the name of the manufacturer but I will say he is a nice guy who knows machining and takes pride in his work. These rings have always been a great value and I feel better lifting the veil of speculation as to who and where these are made.

One more thing, for the first time in years, NO price increase for all existing model IOR models for 2011. Kudos to Val for recognizing economic realities and taking appropriate measures.

Here's to a great year for IOR scopes....

Next up on the tour was our current ultra-premium line of scopes by <span style="font-weight: bold">Premier Reticles</span>. We touted the Heritage series of scopes as soon as we got a chance to see them a couple of years ago and they have done nothing to let us down. The optics are spectacular, the knobs feel more crisp and defined than ever and the factory service and support has been second to none.

The long awaited 1.1-8x24 V8 has been delayed until late summer so that the optical system can be redesigned for optimum performance and durability. There is no other scope on the planet which looks like this scope, and when the time comes, there is the expectation that no other scope will perform like it. Until then, we anxiously await the V8!!

In my mind, the arrival of the new 3-15x50 Hunter 30mm series is what is really news here. All the optical performance of the tactical Heritage in a lower cost and lighter weight package. Looking through the scopes revealed a "blow your doors off" image that will please the most discriminating optics aficionado. The scopes will be available with or without illumination; forgoing it saves you $200. The capped turrets were nothing to write home about, low profile and resettable to zero but a bit pedestrian so I'm already looking ahead to the development of the "Light Tactical" version of this scope with exposed double-turn knobs with 18mils total travel. This will be the "hot ticket". Get the Gen 2 mildot model and don't look back. This overall package of price and performance will be tough to beat!!!!

Finally, Paul at Premier wanted to make it clear that any Premier Heritage scope that is acquired used or secondhand can be sent to him to have a complete going over and updating to current specs. This is a boon for those of you that acquire an older generation model, and reinforces the commitment that Premier has in providing customer service befitting the top echelon of scope manufacturers. This makes buying a used Premier a safe investment indeed.

We look forward to providing you the best scopes in 2011, Premier.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sightron</span> was a new benchmark scope line for us in 2010, with the SIII Long Range series providing the best optics and performance of any scope under $1000 for long range shooting. The 6-24x50 was THE best selling SIII scope for us in 2010.

Despite the success of these scopes for us, the scopes were just a couple of thoughtful touches away from being a truly 21st century design....namely matching reticle and turret increments, illumination, exposed knobs, and FFP.

Well, three out of four ain't bad, I'll tell you.

Let's drop FFP from the equation. I feel it is less important than the others, for most of us. It's still a great feature, and we sell tons of FFP scopes, but if we had to pick what was most important I'd pick good tight exposed knobs in increments that match the reticle anyday. Illumination is icing on the cake. FFP is the cherry on top (caveat: most competitors and operators have a different utility for FFP, and thus it's importance goes way up).

Nevertheless, Sightron proves they are watching and listening with the new SIII additions to the lineup, same great 3.5-10x44 (1/10mil turret; 5mils per turn), 6-24x50 (1/10mil turret 5mils per turn), 8-32x56(1/10mil turret, 5mils per turn) and 10-50x60 (0.05mil turret, 2.5mils per turn) mildot scopes with exposed knobs.

The knob feel on these is exactly what you want, crisp (like "breaking glass rods") and tight, a totally different feel from the capped turrets model. Top mounted Torx screw for re-zeroing. Superb optics that were easy to discern on the Level 1 floor. These scopes take an evolutionary step forward and you will be happy.

For you "MOA" guys, Sightron has added a new MOA reticle that for all intents and purposes resembles the IOR MP-8 dot but in 2-moa increments. This will be available in the 6-24x50 and 8-32x56 with 1/4moa exposed knobs.

Finally, the same reticle but with added illumination is now available in the 3.5-10x44 and 10-50x60 series. Only the center dot is illuminated, which I personally like. When it's dark, the only question I have is "where is the bullet going?" This reticle provides the answer. The most under-appreciated scope in the SIII lineup is the 3.5-10x44 series, and when you add a "Tac" illuminated reticle and exposed matching knobs, I will say this scope will be a must have for me come hunting season. The glass is truly superb.

Price and delivery TBD but they will be a super value and worthy additions to the SIII lineup. For you conventional guys, the old models with capped turrets will continue to be offered also.

Last but not least, the "secret squirrel" works demo'd a 1-7x24 model with digitally illuminated 4a dot reticle. A sleek and functional design with amazing glass, current thoughts are this will be a capped turret "dangerous game" model with possible migration to a tactical realm with appropriate changes. Again, amazing optics for a 24mm objective and an exciting design, this "wide zoom" model shows that Sightron is determined to engineer the scopes you want that perform at a level beyond the price point. Stay tuned, you won't be sorry you did...

We conclude with my peeps at <span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Optics</span> and their ascent into the big, big leagues with a freaking pile of new offerings in scopes, spotters, and binos for 2011. How busy are things at Vortex? It took 15 minutes after my arrival to even be greeted. Yes, I wore deodorant.

Where do we begin? Let's start with the big dog of riflescopes, the 5-20x50 Razor HD. This scope gets a new reticle, the EBR-2B (Bravo) which has numbered holdovers and much more pronounced windage/holdover points...suffice to say my take on it is "so long EBR-2 reticle". 'Nuff said.

The real news is the new ocular housing design. Slightly shorter, with a new illumination hookup, less fussy eye relief and noticeably less tunnel vision, this new eyebox is quite the improvement over the old style. Now here's the punchline: For all you guys who dove into the Razor but bemoan the high magnification sight picture and critical eye relief, Vortex will replace the ocular housing at no charge to you upon receipt of your old scope!! Please note the spare ocular housings are not in stock yet but are expected to be arriving in the spring. I think this is a great example of the extreme dedication of Vortex to their customers and the true commitment of the service they provide. I am impressed.

Unless you have been living under a rock you are probably aware the new Viper PSTs are arriving and dealers will be stocking these in the next few weeks. Long awaited, much anticipated, painfully delayed, with all the features you want, at a most reasonable price, these scopes will be the market leader in the FFP mil/mil or FFP moa/moa category for under $1000. What has shipped has been mostly 1-4x models, and the TMCQ reticle is just superb and I do favor it over the Razor 1-4x EBR-556 (although the Razor's glass is clearly superior). The mil and moa versions of the TMCQ are just fast and intuitive and suitable for longer range precision at 4x also. The "big dog" 4-16 and 6-24 models are arriving soon. We anxiously await your feedback on these scopes! To me, the only point of discussion will be the glass...is it good enough or not? The reticles, knobs, features, warranty, all first class in my book. What are your expectations and will they be met? Stay tuned....

The Viper series of scopes have been quite popular since their inception but the 2-7x. 3-9x, and 4-12x series are gone. Fortunately, the best-selling 6.5-20x44 and 6.5-20x50 series of scopes will soldier on with BDC, mildot, and V-Plex reticles (50mm only). These also have dropped in price too!

What's new are the Viper HS (Hunting/Shooting) 30mm tube series of scopes in a 1-4x (basically a PST 1-4x with capped turrets and TMCQ MOA reticle), 2.5-10x44, and 4-16x44 and 4-16x50 models. These scopes blend the PST and Viper designs, featuring capped turrets with the same nice clicks you expect with finger resettable knobs and a choice of the V-plex or a NEW Dead Hold BDC model that uses hashes in place of the dots (noticeably finer reticle than its predecessor). Eye relief has been improved to about 4" across the board for these scopes. Looking at the 44mm 4-16x model the glass seemed to have a bit of haze at 16x and overall the difference between the optics of this series and that of the Razor series was quite discernible. More evaluation will be needed in a outdoor setting but I think the real topic of discussion for the Viper scopes for 2011 will be the optical quality compared to previous renditions of these scopes. Am I repeating myself?

Of particular note in the Viper HS series are a pair of 4-16x models dubbed the "Long Range" models. Featuring the new Dead Hold BDC reticle, capped windage turrets with an exposed PST-style elevation turret in 1/2moa clicks and the availability of the TMT custom turret for your favorite rifle and load, for around $500 these scopes are a sensible solution for many long range hunters, with 75-80moa of reticle travel, add a 20moa base and 1000 yard shots with a .308 are obtainable, making the scope an excellent budget range and target scope also. I'd opt for the 50mm model myself.

You guys know how much I generally loathe "Made in China" spotting scopes for serious work and the old Vortex Skyline ED models were no exception. Well, Vortex has a new Viper HD series of spotters that looks like is takes Chinese spotters to a whole 'nother level. Two models, 20-60x80 and 15-45x65 feature a heavy rubber armor and picatinny accessory rail, dual focus in both straight or angled models. Within the confines of the show floor the image seemed to have a high resolution and excellent brightness, seeing every detail the Razor HD spotter mounted by its side could see. Available in spring, we will test this spotter outdoors because the pricetag of $799 MAP (20-60x model) demands it. The spec sheet reads like a top end spotter so keep this on your radar and look for the upcoming reviews.

I've always liked Vortex binos and for the money they have exceeded everything I've compared them too, especially the Viper and Diamondback binos. For 2011, three new and revised models are worth your attention.

The new top dog are the completely redesigned Razor HD models. Replacing the old Razor binos, these new models feature the same open hinge design as their predecessor but just plain look better with attractive green and black colors and styling. Optically, Vortex made no bones about it that these are meant to be a "Euro-fighter" with the highest quality optical glass, prisms and coatings. The 8x42 model features a massive 415 feet FOV at 1000 yards and looking through these things the old "doughnut vision" of the old models is a thing of the past. Again, the venue is very tough to make any definitive judgements but the glass exhibited the least amount of physical imperfections I've seen from Vortex and the image appears to be top notch. Models include 8x42, 10x42, 8.5x50, 10x50 and 12x50 with MAP running from $1180 to $1300. Vortex is making a statement that their best is designed to go toe to toe with anything in the world. I can't wait to check these out back home in Montana!

My old fav Viper series binos have been amped up with the new Viper HD models. These binos are very similar to the old (excellent) models but with even better glass and ArmorTek coatings. Close focus distance on the 32mm models is a sick 3 feet and the 8x42 and 10x42 models retain all the compact size and great ergonomics of the old ones. Price is very comparable from last year and looking through these things reaffirms my belief these are still going to be very difficult to beat in the $500-$600 pricepoint no matter who they are up against.

Last, but not least, the best value yet might just be the new Talon HD series. Simplified to two models, 10x42 and 8x42 (425 feet FOV at 1000 yards!) think of these binos as "Razor HD Lites" in appearance and performance. HD glass, ArmorTek lens coatings, phase corrected prisms, and an open hinge design....these turned out so well they actually exceeded the image quality of the old Viper series, which necessitated the higher re-spec of the Vipers into the Viper HD models!! Weight is around 27 ounces which puts them heavier than the Viper HD but lighter than the Razor HD models. MAP is $439-$449 and I've got a feeling these are going to sell very well for Vortex.

Other new goodies include a swing mount for the VMX-3 magnifier (very fast to deploy) and new QD cantilever mounts for 30mm tube scopes (made by ADM). The cantilever mounts feature solid rings instead of split rings and are available with either a 2 inch or 3 inch offset. Price is very similar to current ADM mounts. Just the thing for the 1-4x series of scopes, but workable for any of the 30mm Vortex line for your AR flat-top.

Ran into Scott Parks from Vortex Optics today...a capable shooter and online forum presence for Vortex.....a very likable guy, we talked about scopes and him meeting Lou Ferrigno of "Incredible Hulk" fame.....ironically, Scott bears more than a passing semblance to Ben Grimm (Thing) from Fantastic Four....great big fella who looks like he could smash things if the need arose...good guy to have on your side for sure...

It's going to be an exciting year for Vortex, and it's well earned.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold Tactical</span>: I was graciously hosted by Chris Estadt, formerly of Vortex, and got to check out all the new Lupy scopes, both "ready for production" and some concept scopes that will be arriving down the road. I got to play with the new Mark 8 CQBSS 1.1-8x26, and the new Mark 4 6.5-20x50 ER/T with Horus reticle and locking elevation turret, and all the ER/T models with Horus reticles and M5 turrets. Bottom line is this, while these scopes are all decent, the pricetags have gotten a bit out of hand, whether it is by design or not, I am not sure. However, here's some very realistic street prices on these new models:

Mark 8 CQBSS (Part #110121): $3349
Mark 4 6.5-20x50 ER/T Horus H58/locking turret (Part #111855) : $2669 or Horus H27 reticle (Part #68140): $2559 (Conversely, the same scope with H28 reticle (part #110562) without the locking turret is $2189....so that big honking locking elevation knob is a $500 option.....?)

Based on what I see on the market, with the features and reticles of its competitors, the Lupy Tac scopes haven't been a real value recently, but these prices put them in strange territory where you wonder what the deal is. I mean, the CQBSS is priced $1000 over the S&B 1-8 Short dot.....huh?

Anyhoo, the star of the show, IMO, was the new HAMR (High Accuracy Multi-Range). This fixed 4x24 little cutie has an "all business" rugged appearance and is Lupy's take on the ACOG concept. Featuring a 5.56 62-grain calibrated CM-R2 reticle (basicially the ACOG horseshoe reticle in red......5moa horseshoe with 0.5moa dot) , an integral picatinny mount, and the availability of an optional DeltaPoint reflex riding atop it, this scope is battle rifle or 3-gun ready. The sight picture was very clear with high resolution, flat, clean, with nearly 3" of eye relief. The reticle has drops to 800+ yards. It's still a bit spendy, $1199 for the standard model and $1399 for the optional DeltaPoint model, and it does need batteries, but this scope is a worthy alternative to the ACOG, IMO. Well executed and worth a long look...

I once wrote that Lupy was no longer relevant....that was my inexperience there...but, it seems they are pricing themselves out of relevancy in the commercial market....in military circles they will be more than fine.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
Leupold Hunting</span>: Guys, what I saw in the new VX-R series was pretty darn impressive. Very good looking and crisp glass, 30mm tubes throughout, "FireDot" motion sensing illumination, price around $400-$500 for most models. 2-7x, 3-9x, and 4-12x models. Lupy was out of catalogs but I believe it is daytime visible and digital illumination with various settings...very nice scopes for the money and a great move by Lupy, IMO.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nikon: </span>Ho, hum. Nothing really new here to report. All the riflescopes (ProStaff, Buckmasters, and Monarch) are made in the Phillipines now. What's puzzling is that the new ProStaff scopes have finger adjustable turrets that reset without tools, while the higher priced B'masters and Monarch knobs require a coin or screwdriver to reset to zero, very similar to the Vortex Diamondback. Odd..... The "Made in Japan" Monarch X series, contrary to rumor, are NOT discontinued....but, dealer cost on them jumped about 20% from 2010...that is not a misprint...so a slow seller will move even slower....maybe they needed a reason to discontinue them for 2012....

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bushnell</span>: The biggest news is the Bushy followed on the heels on their highly successful 10x42 Fusion 1600 ARC LRF binos with a new 12x50 version. While the optics on these are nothing special, the laser performance has been quite surprising and satisfying to many a customer, and overall these have been a good value for the money.

The other news is the amalgamation of the Elite 4200 and 3200 series into just an "Elite" series and a new "Elite Tactical" series which seem to combine all the old Elite 6500, 4200, and 32oo Tacs under one umbrella. Other than incorporating something called "Ultra Wide Band" coatings in their optics and Argon purging, I'm not sure what is really different other than the name change (except prices are going up). To be sure, the FFP versions of these scopes have been a solid and sensible mil/mil FFP scope (except for the green illumination) but there is nothing to get really to excited about here.....

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kowa:</span> My friends at Kowa are introducing some new lower priced roof and porro prism binoculars but only mockups were on the show floor. A new super telephoto lens/spotting scopes (Prominar 88mm) with body focus that doubles as a spotter or a telephoto lens for digiscoping is the new hot item.

However, the really big news was Josh Lazenby (Kowa product manager) whipping out a mildot reticle 30x eyepiece for the Prominar 77mm and 88mm spotter. I've said the Prominar Kowa spotters are the best in the world (because they are) but the one hole in the game was lack of a reticle'd eyepiece for us tactical guys. While it was "only" a mildot reticle, the fact I was even shown this is a huge step in the right direction. My suggestion: Make it a more sophisticated mil-scale reticle for spotting and put it in a LER eyepiece for range use and I'm all in. Listen up: All you fellow shooters and Hide members, if you would like to see this happen, email Josh at Joshua(at)kowa.com and politely tell him this would be of interest. Use your collective marketing power and you can/will make this happen. We need to encourage manufacturers to come off the fence. Here's a golden opportunity. Thanks.

A couple of years ago, I jumped into the <span style="font-weight: bold">Kruger Optical</span> Lynx APR FFP illuminated spotting scope (raise your hand if you remember). These were less than stellar and I could barely move them for just a few hundred dollars. Well, now they sell for $1200-$1300 MAP....I hope they are improved...

Anyway, I bring this up because I recovered from the trauma enough to visit them again and check out the new DTS 1-8x40 Tactical Sight. One thing for sure, there is nothing that looks like it in the world, so rather than try to describe it, here's a link http://www.krugeroptical.com/ko-tactical-scopes-next.asp With it's carbon fiber frame and funky design, this is definitely an "out of the box" riflescope suitable only for an AR platform. Looking through the thing you have either a 1x reflex sight (complete with obligatory greenish glass) or with a flick of the switch you get a 2-8 mildot reticle scope (choice of either FFP or SFP models on the table). Definitely different! David Fortier (he of "Premier Reticles has gone out of business" fame) was fawning over the "best" field of view (1x with a40mm objective will do that...) MAP on these is $1499, but could be had for about $1200 or so......at any rate, a unique product that guarantees looks at the range if you dare show up with it on your flat-top....

<span style="font-weight: bold">Zeiss</span>: Big Blue is a fairly decent seller for us, mostly Conquest scopes with the occasional Victory scope, bino, or spotter. The only truly new product for 2011 is the Dialyt 18-45x65 Field Spotter...a Euro-inspired straight tube black rubber armored objective focus spotting scope, 15.5" long and about 42ounces, made to be easy to pack and designed for fast target acquisition in a field environment, tripod adaptable. This scope had an excellent sight picture, and unlike other draw-tube scopes it might compete against, it is completely waterproof. With a price of around $1200, this is an interesting option that I would like to evaluate in a field setting.

Folks, in case you didn't know, <span style="font-weight: bold">Armament Technology</span> is the muscle behind Premier Reticles now....great folks, and notable in their own right for the Elcan line of rifle sights. These always have had great glass, excellent reticles and are in real world military use. The Specter series of sights include the 1-4x and 1.5-6x models, but the newest kid is the SpecterOS4x....basically a fixed 4x Specter with either a chevron BDC style reticle or crosshair/CQB reticle, these babies MAP at $1199 and have awesome FOV and NV compatible illumination. What I'm trying to say is that we are an authorized Elcan/Armament dealer and would love to hear from you concerning this product! Andrew, Ted, and the rest of the guys in the booth are top notch to work with, in my experience.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Trijicon:</span> Everyone knows I love these guys and we sell quite a bit of Accupoints and ACOGs too. What I was holding my breath on was a ACOG-reticled variable (in like a 1-6x or something). Make no bones about it, the Trijicon rep said no dice for this year, and maybe even the next. Apparently this has been on the table for many years but there are just other priorities for the guys in Wixom, Michigan right now. Boo Hoo. Proceed accordingly. Other than a nifty new luminous bow hunting sight, nothing new for Trijicon for 2011.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hawke Optics: </span>I am going against my own advice here (on avoiding scopes named after birds of prey) but Hawke Optics has three things going for them: First, a huge selection of scopes with many ballistic and "tactical" reticles. Second, they've got some really nice guys that work there (Brad Bonar to name one) that take pride in their work and take criticism well. Last but not least, Ilya Koshkin, of www.opticsthoughts.com and internet fame, has spent a lot of time with the brand over the last few years and says they are the one company that maintains consistent quality in Chinese manufactured scopes, they are holding up, and the warranty has been improved from 5 years to lifetime to the original purchaser. In today's economic reality, a lower price point scope make sense for many. I do not take Ilya's recommendation lightly and he is the reason we are going to give these guys a try. So, look for them on our website in the next few weeks.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Steiner:</span> Two things I've learned in this business, is to never underestimate the power of new blood in a venture, and never underestimate the power of corporate spending, particularly when military contracts are to be won. I've always been pretty ambivalent about Steiner, but they introduced a new series of military scopes that bear watching. Currently being planned in a 3-12x50, 3-12x56, and 4-16x50 models, what's amazing is that these scopes come right out of the box with features we've been asking for for awhile, so someone's been listening. Made from 100% German parts and assembled by Burris in Greeley, CO (the connection is that both Steiner and Burris are owned by Beretta, which owns many other shooting related companies now, if you haven't noticed......there is the corporate backing that can result in market share), the new scopes have eyepieces that show a distinct Burris Black Diamond heritage. All models feature 34mm tubes, about 15.5-16 inches long, 34-36 ounces, and feature variable eye relief of 3 to ~~3.5 inches. The large 1/10 mil knobs are easy to grab and feature 10mils per turn, CCW rotation, decent clicks. 19.5mils (70moa) of travel, which is a bit on the light side for a 34mm tube. The windage knob is similar. Like Premier, the red illumination (powered by a CR2450 battery) is located in the focus knob, and the FFP G2 mildot reticle has the 1mil-spaced dots alternating with the 0.5 mil hashes. Optically this scope is very good. Everything works as it should, although I felt the illumination could be a bit crisper. The only real issue (nitpick) I saw was when you look into the inside of the scope (I know, not how you are supposed to do it, but believe me, someone will notice) you can see the edges of the reticle housing with its pins and screws and I see this as a potential distraction. Overall the scope has a lunch bucket appeal with a high end optical system. Priced right in the middle of the $2000's which is actually a market segment not very crowded at this time. This will be an interesting option once this arrives.

Other notable items are the Steiner Nighthunter XP binos and the new Predator Extremes, both redesigned for 2011. Very impressive glass that beg to be taken out. The last item of interest are the 10x50 military rangefinding binoculars. Introduced last year, and designed for ease of use and performance, the 1600 yard laser range is matched by the Bushnell Fusion LRF's at 1/3 the price, so it's hard to find a compelling reason to get them. Additionally, the Steiner version uses a individual eye focus, with the laser display found in the right barrel; while you may be in focus with the optics, the actual LED display may not be, and vice versa (I had to rotate the right eye focus to get the display sharp but that put me out of optical focus on the target......)

Wrapping up here, I want to say Steiner has two guys that were great faces of the organization, Director of LE Sales John Miklovis and Assistant Sales Manager LE Division Sky Leighton. These guys epitomized class and professionalism and I feel really good that constructive feedback on their products would be listened to and action would be taken if necessary. They were easy to talk to and made my visit very enjoyable. Thanks guys.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Schmidt & Bender:</span> What's new and exciting at S&B is what's new and exciting, starting with a nicely executed 3-20x50 PMII...for $3149 MAP you get either FFP or SFP, 34mm tube, illumination, P3, P4, P4 fine or Klein reticles, 26mil DT-MTC knobs with locking feature on windage and elevation knobs, 100+moa of total travel, 3.5" of eye relief, parallax adjustable down to 25m....15" long and weighs 32.4 ounces, all I can say is, what's not to like? The scope has the usual S&B glass and controls and will be a high demand item in the upper end scope market.

The other big news is the arrival of the 1-8x24 PMII Short Dot scope. 30mm tube, FFP mildot reticle and SFP dot, day and night vision modes, locking turrets, this scope has a "CC" mode that has a parallax set for 10m and a true 1x. Not sure how necessary this is but that's the spec. Length is 11.4" and weight is 19 ounces or so. While this isn't my cup of tea this scope is super versatile and is what the market has been clamoring for, $2699 MAP.

We are getting setup with S&B, so this is an exciting step for us. BTW, the Military and LE sales guru for S&B is Sylvia Ehinger, I found her very knowledgeable and she knows darn near everybody it seems. Thanks to Mark Cromwell (he's been around since beforeI showed up) for helping me out.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Weaver:</span> No question, my "out of nowhere" surprise scopes of the show were a pair of new Weaver Tacticals...a 3-15x50 illuminated FFP mil/mil and a 1-5x24 FFP. The catalog amusingly states these optics are for those who value "Molle over Armani" Let's start with the long range dog. This scope was really nice. 30mm tube, mil/mil, illuminated FFP, locking turrets, extra hard coating on exterior lenses, side focus, resettable turrets, argon purged, 100moa, 6mils per turn, 13.5 inches long, 27.5 ounces, fast focus eyepiece, are you paying attention? The reticle is an etched EMDR (Enhanced Mildot Ranging). Knob feel isn't anything super great but they do lock. 4" of eye relief. Price? I'm TOLD (nothing in writing) around $1000, available in spring. This is likely the Viper PSTs only competition, but I've got a gut feeling these scopes are going to surprise.

The other scope that is even better executed optically and has very crisp daytime illumination is the new 1-5x24. Capped turrets with finger adjustable/resettable knobs (much like the Elite 6500 knob, which is a tipoff who makes these) the CIRT (Close Intermediate Range Tactical) reticle is similar to the horseshoe dot reticle with symmetrical hashes and windage holdover points. FFP reticle! 10.3" long, 4.25" of eye relief, under 15 ounce, what's not to like?....price is told to me around $800....we will see. We look forward to getting our hands on them, the Weaver booth folks were very nice. Remember, Weaver is owned by ATK, big $$ and lots of clout, and these scopes exude ruggedness. Just sayin'....

<span style="font-weight: bold">Leica:</span> Nothing too much to report here except that if the CRF 1600 works as advertised it is a very compact little rascal and would be the easiest to carry of any of the major manufacturer (read: quality) LRFs....I still like the optics in the Zeiss LRF better but this Leica is just plain handy...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Borka Tools: </span>Boris is a good old Russian chap who has designed the elegant solution of a lightweight and simple torque wrench for shooters based on pure physics. These wrenches have been featured all over the Hide (Boris is a smart guy....besides his Ph.D). We have signed on to one of the few, the proud dealers, effective around March 1. Check out these neat pieces of kit at www.borkatools.com Besides being an interesting guy, Boris will forever be remembered for asking fellow Russian Ilya Koshkin if he was about 50 years old (he's in his mid-30's). After all the "old man" ribbing I take from Ilya, I got a real hoot out of that! It was one of those "you had to be there" moments....

<span style="font-weight: bold">Meopta:</span> Having never really caught on with these guys, I still visited their booth with Ilya and the little diamond of a scope for 3-gunners is the new ZD 1-4x22. SFP, 30mm tube, tethered turret caps, light, around 9" long, a daytime visible (for sure) K-dot ballistic reticle, good glass, around $849 retail....you will hear more about this scope, for sure.

<span style="font-weight: bold">March Tactical:</span> I posted last year that these scopes didn't blow my doors off for the price, and since then I've heard lots of good things about them, so with Ilya's guidance I went back for a second and more studied look. To be sure, the Sands Expo does optics no favors (as an aside, most of the optics manufacturers were on the best floor for them, the 2nd level main floor, but still...). What Kelbly's had was a lot of there scopes on a giant tripod/fluid head device that was elevated, with many scopes mounted; what they all were pointed at were a Berry's rifle target about 62 yards away on a far wall. The two scopes I spent time with were a 2.5-25x42 SFP and a new 3-24x42 FFP. Bottom line: I was able to read the black on white text of www.berrysmfg.com at 25x and 24x, respectively. Rather easily. How tall was the text? 1/8" or 3.18mm By my calculations, this equates to reading (read: resolving) about 0.20moa. So, under perfect conditions, this could very well mean the March could read 2.0" tall letters at 1000 yards. Well, in my experience, the Kowa Prominar 66mm spotter could resolve 1" tall high contrast I(white on dark green) letters at 985 yards...this is at about 25x IIRC...so basically you are getting spotting scope (high end spotting scope) resolution in a 42mm objective rifle scope. In a manner of speaking. Wow. OK. I get it. My only question now is how this resolution compares with other scopes in it's class (maybe Ilya can answer)

Don't get me wrong, the color "pop" just isn't there with these scopes, and there are somewhat funky edge effects and eye relief is a bit on the fussy side for me (about zero tunnel vision though) but in terms of high level optical and mechanical engineering these scopes are pretty trick. Throw in the FML-1 FFP reticle (another IOR MP-8 A5 clone), and scope dimensions of under 12.5" and about 23 ounces.....well, I'll say if you want a March 3-24x42 FFP I can't blame you. While perhaps not the ideal battle rifle optic, as a long range precision tool of unmatched versatility and easy portability, this scope has a lot going for it. There, excuse me while I eat a little crow...always learning!!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nightforce:</span> My man "Nightforce Ken" wasn't in the booth for the show but another cool dude Rick Owen, Senior Account Manager was very kind to spend some time with me. Make no mistake, my favorite all time NXS scope is the F1. They have a few new reticles for 2011 including the NP-RF1, the MD2, and the MLR2 are my favorites. The MD2 is the only fully symmetrical reticle of the three, but the cool factor of the mil based MLR2 and moa-based NP-RF1 can not be denied. Rumor has it Lowlight drew these up. Rumor also has it a "secret squirrel" super scope is in the works at Nightforce that will blow away anything on the market....we're all waiting...

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kahles:</span> Went to the Kahles booth (imported and managed by Gamo, the airgun folks) to look at some new hunting binos. The Kahles guys had already skipped town, but they left their scopes behind and I swear the same "Tac" scope they had in like the year two thousand freaking six was sitting on the shelf. Next.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Laser Genetics ND3 SubZero:</span> Stumbled on these at the Gamo booth. Bright, razor sharp, green forward projected lasers that are amazing indoors....mount in conjunction with a rifle scope and you have the ultimate predator/varmint night-time killin' rig, without the need for standard NV equipment. I see the survival and rescue utility of this thing. While I might be late to the party I'll say the cool factor is off the charts with these things..

Now, on to people...

Glen and Al, Seekins Precision: </span>Took their usual spot at the Rock Creek barrels booth, both guys GTG.
Doug, Camera Land NY:</span> "He who never sleeps"....he's like on 25+ forums now...he should bottle up whatever it is he is on and sell it to us old and slow guys and make a fortune. Doug's big time.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kyle Lynch, Barrett Firearms</span>: Not a classless bone in his body. Salt of the earth.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Jay Wiggins, Sport Optics:</span> Ran into him in the waning minutes of the show, had a touch of the 1000 yard stare after finishing his first SHOT show, seem like a nice kid. He made a good impression.

What's in and out (IMHO, of course) bases on this years show

Out: Leupold Tactical
In: Leupold Hunting

Out: Booth Bimbos
In: Knowledgeable, polite sales/rep staff

Out: Mildots
In: Any dang copy of the IOR Mp-8 mil hash reticle

Out: SFP 1/4moa knobs
In: FFP mil/mil

Out: Conventional design scopes
In: Wide zoom range scopes

Out: "Non-Tactical" optics
In: Tactical Optics! I think it's viewed as an emerging market

Out: Value and discounting
In: MAP and margins

Out: Stock
In: Custom

Out: Range queens
In: Active/Competitive shooters

Out: Sands Expo
In: Las Vegas Convention Center, anyone?

Thanks guys!

Re: Liberty Optics 2011 SHOT Show Report

Great information Scott! I'll be looking forward to perusing your site in the next few months for some of the items you have mentioned. Looks like the manufactures are starting to listen to the guys that shoot.

Great report, I am really interested in these March Tactical scopes. Small size and weight with FFP Mil/Mil and the new reticle is nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great report, I am really interested in these March Tactical scopes. Small size and weight with FFP Mil/Mil and the new reticle is nice. </div></div>

I admit, I am interested in these too...

Good report. Saw some perspectives I had not from others as of yet.

When did, if they did say will nightforce show this new blow everything away scope? This year, spring, summer...... Tell us now what you know.

Bravo sir! I think one of the highlights of SHOT is your write ups. Congrats on becoming a S&B dealer... hope you like the sound of ceaseless phone calls..

Im interested in the IOR you mention:

"Another nice surprise and sensible addition to the stable is a 4-16x50 FFP model featuring a MP8-XRT (xtended range tactical) reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, digital illumination, long focal length for easy mounting and a pricetag that will be less than the 35mm FFP models. The XRT reticle is similar to the MP8-A5 but has additional windage holdover points in hash format and further increases the utility of the MP-8 reticle. This scope's reticle has 25mils of holdover capability at 7x and 17mils (61moa) visible at 16x. Lighter in weight and of a more conventional design, I feel this scope will do very well when it comes available this summer."

Just a couple of questions, any zero stop? and how light exactly?

Cheers Scott!

Chris

Thanks Scott!
Been wondering how you are doing?
Off topic but I had a chance today to play with those Premiers I got from you, Great scopes!.

I don't think I've picked up one shot show report this year on US Optics. What's the deal?

Hey Scott, the 30mm IOR. Is it matching reticle and knobs or mismatched?

Flyingbullseye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillPrudden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out: Conventional design scopes
In: Wide zoom range scopes

Scott -

Eye relief issues? Or am I raising an old-school and long-solved red herring?

Thanks

Bill </div></div>

On some the eye relief will change a little from low to high mag, but nothing that is any worse than any standard scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did, if they did say will nightforce show this new blow everything away scope? This year, spring, summer...... Tell us now what you know. </div></div>

I know that Lowlight knows...that's it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bravo sir! I think one of the highlights of SHOT is your write ups. Congrats on becoming a S&B dealer... hope you like the sound of ceaseless phone calls.. </div></div>

And that would be different how?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im interested in the IOR you mention:

"Another nice surprise and sensible addition to the stable is a 4-16x50 FFP model featuring a MP8-XRT (xtended range tactical) reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, digital illumination, long focal length for easy mounting and a pricetag that will be less than the 35mm FFP models. The XRT reticle is similar to the MP8-A5 but has additional windage holdover points in hash format and further increases the utility of the MP-8 reticle. This scope's reticle has 25mils of holdover capability at 7x and 17mils (61moa) visible at 16x. Lighter in weight and of a more conventional design, I feel this scope will do very well when it comes available this summer."

Just a couple of questions, any zero stop? and how light exactly?

Cheers Scott!

Chris </div></div>

Yes, zero stop, and I don't know until I weigh it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Scott!
Been wondering how you are doing?
Off topic but I had a chance today to play with those Premiers I got from you, Great scopes!. </div></div>

Doing fine, and yes they are as good as it gets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think I've picked up one shot show report this year on US Optics. What's the deal? </div></div>

As I mentioned, I lost about a day and a half due to family issues. I had to prioritize my time. I visit USO every year, but, in this case, I had to skip over them. Looks like I'm sorry I did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Scott, the 30mm IOR. Is it matching reticle and knobs or mismatched?

Flyingbullseye </div></div>

Matching...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great report, I am really interested in these March Tactical scopes. Small size and weight with FFP Mil/Mil and the new reticle is nice. </div></div>

I admit, I am interested in these too... </div></div>

My deposit is going out today for one of the 2nd batch of these. The first is already sold out. Should see the scope by June/July

Well, this is the first report where nobody seemed to get torqued or I didn't come across as trying to ruin <span style="font-style: italic">somebody's</span> day. Either I'm getting soft or polished! LOL. At any rate, after adding a few pics this looks like it's ready to be published elsewhere after being vetted here. Thanks Hiders!!