• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors license question

Icallem

Football Ref
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
I have a couple of AAC 7.62 SD cans that use 51 tooth adapters. I want to move these from rifle to rifle, so I have several different mounts. I have one that locks up tight and the rest all have what I have come to call the AAC wiggle. My gunsmith is local and not only is he my gunsmith, he is also the dealer I bought the suppressors from. I called to see if he could turn the adapters down to get all where they lock-up tight. He said this would be no problem. Life is good! Yesterday he called and said I would have to bring rifles and cans over on a certain day and plan to stay with them, as if I left them he would have to put them back on the books and I would have to go through the Form 4 process again. I can go and stay, and will do that, but does anybody know if that is the way the laws read?

Seems strange that he has enough license to sell them, but not enough to have them around while working on the rifle.

Re: license question

The issue would arise if an agent decided to stop in and check out his books with serials in his collection. If he comes out two to many he's going to have issues. So just stay with your can and dont put your smith/dealer in that position.

Xdeano

Re: license question

He needs to read the industry circulars. He can take these in for work, just book them if they remain for 24h. You do not need to remain onsite. If he is the paranoid type, you can do a Form 5, not a 4, tax free and list the reason as 'for repair', then he can transfer them back. While the ATF 'recommends' a Form 5 be completed, for a short term repair process it's a waste of everyones time and energy, and it is NOT required. Now, if the planned repair was going to take several months, I'd do the Form 5, but otherwise, don't bother.

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2000/02/021800-openletter-nfa-repair-of-firearms.html

9.5.1 Repair of firearms. ATF does not consider the temporary conveyance of an NFA firearm to an
FFL for repair to be a “transfer” under the NFA. Thus, a transfer application is not required to convey
the firearm for repair or to return the repaired firearm to its owner/possessor. Nevertheless, in order to
avoid any appearance that a “transfer” has taken place, ATF recommends that a Form 5 application be
submitted for approval prior to conveying the firearm for repair. It is also recommended that the FFL
making repairs obtain an approved Form 5 to return a repaired firearm. If Forms 5 are not used to
convey a firearm for repair or return the repaired firearm to the owner, the parties should maintain
documentation showing that the conveyance was for purposes of repair, identifying the firearm, and
showing the anticipated time for repair.