• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Life as a boy in Texas.

jcfd2201

Playing with fire!
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
NE Arizona
A story sent to me by a friend:

When I was about 10 my dad got me one of those little compound bow beginner kits.
Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in
anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40 horse
Farmall tractor tire will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Tough old tire.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazard fan that I was, I
quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas
tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. One
summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak
stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand
new can of starting fluid (Ether). The light bulb went off in my head. I
grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably
just spray out in a disappointing manner. Lets face it, to a 10 yr old
mouth-breather like myself, (Ether), really doesn't "sound" flammable. So, I
went back into the house and got a 1 pound can of pyrodex (black powder for
muzzle loader rifles).

At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of
black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the (Ether)
can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie, a 1 lb. pyrodex and 16 oz
(Ether) should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know
what? Screw that I'm going back in the house for the other can.

Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too. Now we're cookin'.

I stepped back about 15 ft and lit the 2 stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my
cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a clunk as the arrow launched from
my bow. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting out of
the truck...

UH OH ! He just got home from work. So help me God it took 10 minutes for
that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in
slow motion with a bewildered look in his eyes. I turned back towards my
target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right at
the bottom. Right through the main pile of pyrodex and into the can.

When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it was
the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from
235 decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence
during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and
bugs all hovering 1 ft above the ground as far as I could see. It was like a
little low to the ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders,
and a worm or two.

The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this... THE DAYLIGHT TURNED
PURPLE.

There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice
I said "was". That thing got up and ran off.

So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my
thundercats T-Shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport
having what I can only assume is a Vietnam flashback:

ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE YOU'RE BRINGIN' EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE. CEASE
FIRE!!!!!

His hat has blown off and is 30 ft behind him in the driveway. All windows
on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling
mushroom cloud about 2000 ft. over our backyard. There is a Honda 185s 3
wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped
down and are now touching the tires.

I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. I don't know - I know I
said something. I couldn't hear. I couldn't hear inside my own head. I don't
think he heard me either... not that it would really matter. I don't
remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and
then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later....repeat
this process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point
my mom had to give me CPR. and Dad screaming "Bring him back to life so I
can kill him again". Thanks Mom.

One thing is for sure... I never had to mow around that stump again, Mom had
been bitching about that thing for years and dad never did anything about
it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business.

Dad sold his muzzle loader a week or so later. I still have some sort of
bone growth abnormality, either from the blast or the beating, or both. I
guess what I'm trying to say is, get your kids into archery. It's good
discipline and will teach them skills they can use later on in life.

Re: Life as a boy in Texas.

Seems to me bows are often more apt to do damage to kids than guns are...

I remember filling one with black powder, fitting a primer to the end and taping a BB on the end of the primer. Glad that one didn't go off.

Shooting them straight up to see where they landed.

etc.

Three times reading that I doubled over laughing and couldn't breathe.

You sound just like a typical red blodded american boy. Youll probrably enjoy this one.

When I was just a bit older i had a friend whose dad worked for Allied Chemical. He got us all kinds of fine chemicals. One day I was mising up a pile of flash powder in the basement. Probrlbly had about a half pound of it on the bench. I decided to test the mixture so put about a teasoon of it on the other end of the bench and lit it. Like you described slow motion, in slow motion I wached the small pile burn and one small spark drift through the air toward the other end of the work bench....directly at the 1/2 pound of high explosives....at the last second I realized what wa about to happen and made a frantic but futile jumf to try to intercept that lone spark. I reached the pile at exactly the same moment the spark did. As it erupeted into flame I was blown backwards across the basement with all my hair and eybows singed off. The windows in that half of the basenment were gone, the ceilng joists were black, and thick black smoke was rolling out the windows. Shortly the fire department showed up. My folks were gone at the time but when they got home I expect the thrashing I got was similar to the one you got. today theyed call us both terrorists and we'ed get a criminal record

I still like blowing stuff up, though.

If only you guys knew what I get away with being a pyrotechnician for the FD!!!

The story came from a friend of mine actually. I related a story to him about emptying the powder out of all the "dudd" firecrackers I had laying around and putting it into one of those cardboard Daisy BB tubes. I stuck a fuse in it and lit it off on the back patio. I ducked into the garage and when it went boom there was a funny sound immediately afterwards. That sound was the window glass hitting the concrete floor. I didn't learn there and I will leave it at that!

We use a black powder mortar for concussion shots at the rodeo and high school football games. This requires testing of loads, new e-detonators, etc. Ever see how big a cloud a 5lb bag of flour sitting on top of a concussion mortar makes? Did you know powdered coffee creamer is ummm……..mildly flammable?

Goldie,

We used to set off dry ice bombs and time how long it would take for the local PD to get there. It was great until my uncle was on duty when he shouldn't have been and came directly to the door!

OMG that was hilarious!! I'm headed to the store right now for a begginner bow set, starter fluid and some black powder.

LMAO!!!!
Excellent.
I remember the good ol days as a kid blowing up cinder blocks with little BP pipe bombs.

Thanks. That made my day.

Trilogymac

Starting fluid........Ohh you mean tater gun fuel... Did you know that a potato,with enough veloicity, will break auto glass way beyond your intended target?

Holy crap I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time!!!! Its actually funnier when you remember the crazy stuff you did as a kid that age LOL!

Watching Rambo when I was a kid, shoot the exploding arrows, got me in a lot of trouble. Nobody got killed or injured and I still have all my digits. "Kids these days" don't get to do the things we did.

M-80s.... pile of flour... tried to make a
giant "cloud" of flour in a buddys room...

don't try this at home...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idpasteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M-80s.... pile of flour... tried to make a

</div></div>
Isn't that the making of a mini grain silo explosion?

Hilarious!!! Reminds of the time my buddy tried putting out a gasoline fire with a water hose and blew that shit all over my grandpas car. Had to call the fire dept to put my grandpas car out!

Kinda reminds me of a fellow who used to make his own black powder here in North East Ga. He got his batch all mixed up and decided he needed to figure out a way to speed up the drying process. Enter his mothers oven and a couple of cookie sheets. He cranked the oven wide open, placed a couple trays in the oven and set down to enjoy his genius way of drying his gun powder. He thought of how much more he could make by speeding up his process. He thought, well don't think he was ever right after that again. Blowed every window in the house out. I don't think he ever tried to dry gun powder out that way again. As a matter of fact I think he never ever made gun powder again. Oh the stories of gun powder dynamite and other explosives. They always get the best laughs for some reason. Now if I could just catch an episode on video, that would be a 10000.00 winner for sure.

Stop it! STOP IT!!! I'm friggin DYING here!!

I never blew anything up but with a starter bow set and high angle shooting, we found we could drive arrows through the roof of my dads truck. Stuck arrows in the seat, the bed (through the camper).

Wasn't a pretty sight....

Ahh, the fond memories of my homemade flash powder... I used to make little bombs out of pill bottles with maybe an ounce of flash powder, and a cigarette on the fuse, and stick them in the sand traps in the local golf course on Long Island. Used to bike two blocks over, and watch them go off near the tee for that hole. One was timed perfectly, right when one guy hit a driver shot. The other guys in the foursome went nuts, thinking he had nuclear golfballs(the mushroom cloud and flash were spectacular). My dad found out about the experiments, and wanted to flush the stuff down the crapper, but I convinced him we could take the remaining pound or so to grandpa's farm and set it off in the field behind the farmhouse. Well, when the thing went off, the mushroom cloud was bigger that the barn, we could feel the concussion on our chests from 100 yards away, and all the women came running out screaming "the windows are falling out!" He looked at me and said "you're goddam nuts for messing with that crap!" But somehow, I alway had this little sixth sense of when something might go bad, and I made it to Geezerhood with all my fingers. Built a golf ball mortar a few years ago....nice... a 500 yd nine iron shot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idpasteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M-80s.... pile of flour... tried to make a

</div></div>
Isn't that the making of a mini grain silo explosion?</div></div>

Yes, a spoon full of flour thrown into the air and propelled by a fan towards a bunson burner will also do that. Or at least I heard, whats the statue of limitations for that anyways???
smile.gif

The statute of limitations is a good friend of mine!!!
The kids of today couldn't get away with a fourth of what we did without going to jail, prison, or getting labeled as a terrorist. What was just kids being kids back in the day is now taken way too seriously. Granted some of the things we did were probably not nice and involved some property damage or destruction but the majority was done in a way that if we did get caught the beating we got from our parents wasn't going to be a bloddletting. Many a stump and tree were removed at my hands as a youth.....a couple of windows too. Do that today and you are a terroist bomb builder.

I do have one other story of just my bow with no powder and explosives in this one but one I always get reminded of this story when I see him, every time! I talked my dad into buying me a Browning Wasp recurve bow when I was about 10 yrs old, I don't remember the exact age but close to it anyway. After I got the bow I would took my allowance and get a ride to the local hardware store once a week to buy arrows. They were just little wooden arrows and as young as I was I couldn't pull the bow back as far as it needed to go to get the full power of the bow but far enough to kill small varmints up to cat size, but thats another story. Well I had an older brother and two friends that were like brothers and we played together all the time and took turns with the bow when we had arrows. We usually had the arrows lost in 30 minutes after we got them. I came up with a bright idea one day to see who could shoot an arrow the longest and not loose it. My two friends went first and then my brother. They all just shoot across the yard not wanting to loose their arrow but still far enough to beat each other. Then come my turn. By this time my friend father had joined us and was aging us on. I got my bow, nocked my arrow, pulled with all my might and turned the bow straight into the air and released. Within a split second the arrow disappeared out of sight. Everybody looked at each other and my friends dad, being a Vietnam Vet, looked at me and said "What in the fu.. are we going to do now!!! Me being the young smart chap I was said RUN! Needless to say we all went different ways as fast as possible. I can honestly say when we all took off all us boys were laughing, Donnie, being a Marine Vet, let out his war cry as he took off. Just a few seconds later the arrow came down and stuck in the ground about 40 ft from were I had shot it. His old war cry turned into a good old tongue lashing after he saw the arrow on the ground. Dear old Donnie has to this day never let me forget about that day and of course I will never forget the look in his eyes when I released that arrow either. That would have been another great episode to catch on video but they would have had to mute the volume without a doubt.

Being a teenager of the 70's, I had ready access to BP, in fact you could buy it at Oshman's sporting goods. I shot alot of blackpowder in those days. One day when my parents were gone, I started lighting larger and larger amounts of the stuff that I put into an old electrical box. Progressively larger mushroom clouds only served to make me want to add more powder the next time. The last time I darn near filled the thing up, probably more than 1/4lb. For some teenage reason, I stood right over it so that I could drop the lit match straight down into the box.

Being a good bible-learned kid, what happened next reminded me of the Old testiment story of the Jews in the wilderness being led around by a column of fire at night and a column of smoke by day.

All my cool 70's long hair was completely burned off along with my eyebrows and eyelashes. Earned me a trip to the emergency room and a black, swollen face for about a month. I'm white normally.