• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

life barrel...

SAS_Sniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2009
Italy
Hi guys, i hope that not exist a similar thread....so, i want to know, based on your experiences, life of barrel....
after how many shots should be changed? my question is for 308 win, but you can bring back experiences for other calibers.
Thanks
wink.gif

Re: life barrel...

a factory remington barrel with just regular cleaning i saw 2500-3000 ish i diddnt keep a exact count but i am sure that if i would have had it rechambered and recrowned every 1000 i could have got 5k

an inox barrel i think is longer that a Cr barrel ... i hope!!!!
laugh.gif

replace a barrel is very expansive!

Depends how you shoot it? Fast and hard then the barrel life will be less. My .308 went out about 4000 rounds and that was a custom Broughton barrel. Others have had them up to 10,000+. There is no hard set number.

Just replaced four working police Remington .308's and all four had over 7000 rounds and were still shooting under an inch.

It all depends on how you load for it and how you shoot it.

I bought a used Hart barrel with 4K thru it and I've put the same down range. It's still accurate enough for me @8k.

i shot 1000-1200 round /year and load with N140 (42-43 grains)

I have a RockCreek 5-R barrel with 6593 rounds on it. It still shoots groups that amaze the hell out of me. I think a lot of people replace a barrel too soon when all it needed was a new crown.

I too was considering replacing this barrel about 1000 rounds ago, I had it cut 1/4" shorter and re-crowned it. Envisions of replacing it disappeared, accuracy was great again (btw, the crown still looked good before I had it re-crowned, I think it had just gotten "loose" ?). A re-barrel job costs about $600 a crown job costs about $40. Its worth a try.....

Even if it still shoots well at 8K rounds I will probably have it replaced just for peace of mind........

A few years back the USMC did a barrel life test on two of Schnieders Polygon barrels to see what the throat life and barrel life would be until they wouldn't shoot under 1 MOA.
When they quit the test there was over 14,000 rounds thru each barrel, throat was washed out for 1" to 2" and the barrels were still shooting sub MOA at 300 yards.
The hammer forged barrels on the Steyr SSG,s typically go way over 10,000 rounds with normal care.

SHR #50 was a Mike Rock and went 15k+ rounds it was still about a minute shooter and George said 4" of rifling was missing.

The Harbinger is going in next week for a new barrel about 10-12K through it. It's a Broughton, and is just bouncing the minute mark now.

I just killed a Rem. Stock 5R barrel after 1300 rounds. Yeah it was disappointing. No hot loads either. I guess it was a lemon.

Reckon it may have just needed a good cleaning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just killed a Rem. Stock 5R barrel after 1300 rounds. Yeah it was disappointing. No hot loads either. I guess it was a lemon. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reckon it may have just needed a good cleaning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just killed a Rem. Stock 5R barrel after 1300 rounds. Yeah it was disappointing. No hot loads either. I guess it was a lemon. </div></div> </div></div>

Yeah that is what I thought too. I cleaned it with KG12 and let a smith look at it. Borescope showed the throat looked good it was copper free. It shined like new. It was sent back to Remington and I just talked to them. They are replacing it. Apparently the rifling had uneven spots. It was giving me quite a fit.

Ihave gotten over 8,000 out of a Hart barrel in .308. I have had it set back and re-chambered because at about 3,500 because the throat was going and had it re-crowned at the same time. I just had it re-crowned again. Use of a good bore guide will extend barrel life as much as anything.

We have a Department HS HTR .308 with 7,500 rounds.
It shot a 5/8" group at 200y the other day with factory match ammo.

Having mine recrowned was next in the process of elimination. But new is better... I hope. I have always used a possom hollow bore guide. Seems to serve me well.