• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light all around 308 build

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
After selling my FN SPR I am wanting another bolt gun not quite as large to make hits on varmint out to around 500-600

im thinking,
700 SPS V 308 cut to 22" of buy a sps tactical for a 20"
Manners TA
seekins aluminum base and rings
Bushnell 4200 FFP
some type of DBM

If this is my only rifle would 20" be a issue? I rarely ever make it to anywhere I can shoot 1k yards. Id also like to be around 10lbs but i think this might be a little over

Im also considering for paper punching and varmint would a 223 or a 22-250 work better?

Re: Light all around 308 build

Light all around 308 build hmmm... your description sounds exactly like my goal on this one. havn't tried groups more than 3 shots but it's looking promising. With 3 quick shots the POI doesn't seem to change but i expect within 4-5 shots i'll be able to tell a difference between this one and the old sps V barrel.

Went a bit more conservative on my setup the factory sps pencil barrel cut to 20", B&C medalist stock, EGW HD 20 moa base, Burris Zee low rings, nikon monarch 3-12x42. at 300 yds we were tearing up 7"-10" pumpkins with it on thanksgiving. That was a fun day.
IMG_20101203_160711.jpg

if it were me i would prefer a 223ai or 22-250 fast twist for your applicaton. 8 twist and shoot the 75gr amax you will really like the results especially the 22-250

if your not shooting past 600 the 6mm br is tough to beat for accuracy, barrel life, low recoil, large assortment of bullets. get an 8 twist load 29-30gr varget and your 105gr bullet of choice and the accuracy will amaze you. or get the 12 twist and shoot the 75gr amax same thing.

if you want a 308 i would also get a 700 ltr. good stock, short barrel, normally good accuracy and fairly light.

the reason I like the 22-250 is i can get a factory gun and then re barrel later to a 260 or so

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the reason I like the 22-250 is i can get a factory gun and then re barrel later to a 260 or so</div></div>

savage is coming out with a couple different rifles in 260 and 6.5 creedmoor, both of which have 8 twist barrels. i am pumped because it will get alot more people into long range shooting i think.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/#

I just finished a prototype build .260 with a 20" barrel just to see how much it weighed and what I thought of it once it was finished. It came in about 8.25 lbs and boy does it swing nice. I like it for a field gun it seems to be the way to go. I did have an LTR in the past and it was pretty sweet for the field as well.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...265#Post2192265

Good Luck,

JamieD

You mentioned a .223. I have been taking the .223 bolt gun out almost everytime I go lately. Out to 650 with 75 amax's it does great, is cheap to shoot and has zip for recoil. Put the suppressor on and my 11yr old can shoot it all day. Hits on steel within that distance are EZ to hear and see with the 75 amax or 75 Berger VLD.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

Awsome,
That is funny becouse I take my 10 year old doughter out and do the same thing with mine too. She loves to shoot and with it suppressed the noise (which I think bothers young shooters quite a bit) and the recoil is gone. Those 75 A-max's really fly too.

JamieD