• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light boots for 18 hour days .

Clearlight

Minuteman
Jul 23, 2014
Brisbane Australia
Lately I’ve been working 2 or 3 jobs a day , 95 % of which is spent walking ,
and moving equipment around . I need a comfortable pair of lightweight
mid height boots . Ecco walking shoes aren’t bad , but any suggestions
to help my aging feet are gratefully accepted . No rough terrain , just
grassy fields , and concrete surfaces .

18 hours three jobs is making me tired just thinking about it. Maybe some good light hiking shoes.

If your getting in and out of equipment all day long at jobsites that are likely muddy, you sure won't want any boot with lugs or added traction. All they do is hold mud and get heavy as well as track it into cabs. Smoother the tread pattern the better. This is the main reason why I don't wear hiking boots when running equipment. They hold onto mud.

I was doing 8-12 hours a day in the field. Wore Matterhorns for years and 3 years ago I switched to Asolo hiking/backpacking boots. The Fugitive is excellent.

Had good luck with the Danner grouse boots. I bird hunt, they are light, comfortable,and durable. image.jpg

I have some Merrill Bandera 2 hiking boots that I really like. I also have some 5.11 summer light boots that are good and light. I started wearing the 5.11's at matches as one of our places to shoot is pretty much a rock quarry.

Thanks men , plenty of great suggestions . Day off on Monday , will
be tracking down and trying your suggestions after a sleep in , and
a decent breakfast involving 2 kinds of bacon for starters ...

To answer demolitionmans question , an average week includes
instructing clients in ELR shooting , surveillance tasks , event
co ordination , RO ing at my local range , and more . Luckily I
get large chunks of time to shoot in between work , but often
work seems to cluster on sequential days , night and day .

Whatever footwear you end up with, look at aftermarket insoles if the factory ones don't fit perfect. And I don't mean Dr. Scholls off of the shelf. Good cushioning and proper arch support are rarely achieved with factory insoles in my opinion.

I use SuperFeet insoles. Find a store near you that carries them. Bring your new footwear in and walk the store with the different insoles.

As someone who spent 12+ hours a day walking, standing... etc. they were life savers. They cut down on the knee and lower back pain too.

I been wearing Lowa for some years now. My everyday wearer is the Camino LL. I would recommend a good pair of marino wool socks from someone like Kennetrek or Kuiu

Thorogoods are THE most comfortable boot I've ever put on my feet. I've owned 2 different pairs of USA made Danners and the USA Thorogoods are twice as comfortable and just as tough.

For looong days I really like to change footwear midstride. Know that isn't always feasible, but if you can your feet will thank you. Another vote for Lowa's.

Lowas Not only all day comfortable but wear like iron

I rotate between red wings style 606 and salomon x ultra 3 mid gtx several times a week. the salomon's are much lighter than the red wings but both are comfortable standing all day. if you are walking several miles a day, the weight of the red wings really adds up

Reactions: demolitionman
Thanks men , plenty of great suggestions . Day off on Monday , will
be tracking down and trying your suggestions after a sleep in , and
a decent breakfast involving 2 kinds of bacon for starters ...

To answer demolitionmans question , an average week includes
instructing clients in ELR shooting , surveillance tasks , event
co ordination , RO ing at my local range , and more . Luckily I
get large chunks of time to shoot in between work , but often
work seems to cluster on sequential days , night and day .
You may want to try Birkenstock inserts. I have foot pain from walking and being on my feet all the time and they have worked for me. They provide really good support for your foot. The beauty of the inserts is you can change them from shoe to shoe.

I use SuperFeet insoles. Find a store near you that carries them. Bring your new footwear in and walk the store with the different insoles. As someone who spent 12+ hours a day walking, standing... etc. they were life savers. They cut down on the knee and lower back pain too.

I also use Superfeet in my running shoes and agree. For long days in work boots, it's worth the investment to get a custom insole from a sports med doctor. Following a bad knee injury, I had a decade of failed rehab until I got good custom insoles. Pricey but worth it in lost pain.

Reactions: Frankly
Garmont trail guide 2.0 gtx.And superfeet insoles.Light and waterproof with good support.Breath well when it’s hot out.

I am going to throw out a wild suggestion here, and they may be so far from what you are looking for, but I love them so I will just leave it here.

Doc Marten's Crazy Horse:
http://www.drmartens.com/us/p/originals-boots-crazy-horse-2976

I wear these for pretty much everything. They are all-day comfortable, waterproof, and I love not having laces. If you are just walking around fields and concrete, a lot of the boots above seem a bit overkill. The design makes these super easy to clean (if you care) and also to maintain. Every few months I just wipe them clean with a damp paper towel, and then apply some of the "wonder balm" that they sell. I'm sure any typical leather care products would work just as well.

I like the non-insulated design, as my feet will sweat like crazy if I wear insulated/thick hiking boots. These have a nice open "airy" feel to them while also having a durable heel that is comfy. These also look pretty sharp with a pair of jeans over them, I honestly wear these in my office every day, and also for daily use outside of work.

I can't wear shit anymore, my feet are too wide after the surgeries and I'm lucky to find boots. Period. Been looking two years, bought several, ordered some, all went back. Waiting on a pair from Belleville, goretex 10.5XW. God I hope they fit. For some reason I have a heavy pair of Bates that look very similar and are regular W that STILL fit... I guess boots are all made narrower these days? Danner sure as shit is, went to their factory store and that's a FACT.

However, the New Balance combat boots I bought were among the lightest I've ever seen. Had to give 'em (soon ex wife's pair; she complained they were too big) to my mother's boyfriend a couple years ago though, they fit him GREAT and he loved 'em, wore 'em apart at work. Oh wait, I DO have a pair left... 11.5W NB combat boot. Like I said, pretty light. If these will fit you, I'll sell 'em to you for a great price. They are practically brand new, maybe worn for a week around the house a bit and on one walk before I realized they were too narrow. I think they were $200 new on post at Clothing/Sales, I'll sell 'em to you for $110 shipped if they'll fit you. Or trade for something maybe? Up to you.

I'd look at any of those boots made by tennis shoe makers, they tend to be lighter. There are others too, just have to search, try. But you get what you pay for, and those lighter boots are never as tough as the heavier boots are. The Nike boots didn't fit me even then but where really light. Nike I hear are good for 6 mos. then dispose of and replace. That's one of the drawbacks of the light boots, why I wouldn't spend much on a pair unless I had to.

PM me if you're an 11.5W or thereabouts and interested in that NB boot. I think the 11.5 may be a generous length but I could be wrong. If a little too big you can always put a goretex bootie in it and make it about a half size larger and waterproof.

Man, I can't believe no one has mentioned and recommended the Salomons. they are some of the lightest boots out there. more like high top trail runners. heck or even a pair of salomon speed cross trail running shoes. if you are not carrying a pack, they will be fine. they make them in both gore tex and non gore tex models. google some of the lightweight backpacking review and see whats at the top.

I have redwings and they are not light enough for long days. They can also get a little warm. Lowa's are great all around boots. I have found oakleys to be very comfortable also.

I wear Danner Tachyon boots, 12 hour shift as a LEO. They work great for everything, lightweight, comfortable. I put Superfeet Green insoles in them and they are good to go. You can get them with a thin layer of gortex if you need it. Downside is that they are not warm. I wear thicker socks with them in the winter.

Imho, light boots and long days only work for light people. If you are a biger guy light boots dont have the support to be comfortable for long days or the durability to last a long time.
I have worn out boots from most of the big names out there.
Best I have found so far is Asolo 520s
I have 2 pairs and switch from day to day.
They are 3 years old and are still comfortable for 16-18 hr days .

I work long shifts on concrete and I use the supper feet insoles in my boots. I prefer lowa, and asolo for work. I have found keens crazy comfy but I carry to much weight and they do not last. (6 month and in the garbage). I also find a big difference from rotating my boots. I have to wear black 3/4 or taller for work so I am limited in my choices. If you don’t need black scarpa’s Have been great for sheep / elk hunting and have fit my feet better than the lasportiva.
If my work kit wasn’t whatever issued from whatever clearance sale the government had I may have some better advice.

I wore Rocky S2V's for my last 5 years in the Air Force and they are light and comfy, I still wear them around town.

Personally, I prefer a heavy soled boot that doesn't flex for really long days on uneven terrain. Something that has good ankle support as well. Lineman or smokejumper (wildfire fire fighters) boots are what I wear. They aren't light, but that's the point. Loggers run similar terrain, look what they wear, 5-7 days a week.

Your leg muscles are stronger than those in your feet, and if you're walking on uneven terrain, you're going to wear out your foot muscles in a hurry through flexing, and straining the small muscles there. A heavy soled boot that doesn't flex, keeps the smaller muscles from being overworked, and keeps the strain to your legs. I've gone 20 hours straight in a pair of lineman boots, in and out of equipment, in and out of climbing spurs, and around all sorts of terrain, and while my feet aren't fresh at the end of the day, I'm not crippled and forced off my feet either, and I'm ready to go back in the same boots the next day after a few hours rest. I can't say the same for when I've worn my Salomon Speedcross 3 or 4's for 12+ hours on uneven terrain. Sure, I'm faster in the trail shoes, but it's a tortoise vs. hare comparison.

I personally wear Hoffman's, hand made in Kellogg, ID (you'll see the pencil marks from tracing patterns when you get them). They are a phenomenal company to work with, but you're going to need 2-3 months to break them in (start with a couple hours a day, then 4, then 6... you'll know when they're broken in, as it'll be like a second skin to your foot, and no more blisters).

There's a reason smokejumpers and lineman wear these kinds of boots. If you're in similar terrain, and packing like they are all the time, you'd appreciate them as well. FYI, mine are 10 years old, rebuilt twice, and still my favorite, most comfortable boots. Way cheaper in the long run than any Danners (second best, IMO), Red Wings, Rocky, or Chippewa boots I ever owned. ~$50/yr even with rebuilds and a good leather preserve (Obenhaufs FTW).

White's boots are completely customized to your foot, and if you have odd shaped feet, they're hands down the best thing ever. But, be prepared for sticker shock.

White's boots of today are not the Whites of old. They mostly sell yuppie gear and over priced under built off the shelf boots. Their current production boots are a joke. The last two pair of "custom" boots fit slightly better than the boxes they came in would have. When brand new if you stepped in a mud puddle over an inch deep you had wet feet. Their lack of quality was only out classed by their arrogance when called on their QC.
Twenty five years ago they made custom patterns for your feet and once done those boots were truly a fine boot. They built a fancy new shop, filled it with stuffed critters and yuppie stuff, jacked up the prices, started importing cheap leather and ditched all the old patterns..........perfect.

White's boots of today are not the Whites of old. They mostly sell yuppie gear and over priced under built off the shelf boots. Their current production boots are a joke. The last two pair of "custom" boots fit slightly better than the boxes they came in would have. When brand new if you stepped in a mud puddle over an inch deep you had wet feet. Their lack of quality was only out classed by their arrogance when called on their QC.
Twenty five years ago they made custom patterns for your feet and once done those boots were truly a fine boot. They built a fancy new shop, filled it with stuffed critters and yuppie stuff, jacked up the prices, started importing cheap leather and ditched all the old patterns..........perfect.

I haven't bought Whites in 15+ years, maybe 20. So that's good to know.

Hoffman's I've been dealing with since switching from Whites, because their pricing and lead times were so much better, and TBH, I've been so pleased with them, I wouldn't ever switch back. The local cobbler here in WNY loves their boots as well. I use him for simpler stuff, like replacing eyelets, or other shoe repairs not on these boots (bigger stuff I send back to Hoffman's).

Sure beats going through a set of $150 boots year after year though!

Take a look at Crispi. They are a little pricey but worth it. I have a pair of guide GTX and love them.

I have to say invest in some good merino wool socks, Woolrich makes a great pair.

I haven't bought Whites in 15+ years, maybe 20. So that's good to know.

Hoffman's I've been dealing with since switching from Whites, because their pricing and lead times were so much better, and TBH, I've been so pleased with them, I wouldn't ever switch back. The local cobbler here in WNY loves their boots as well. I use him for simpler stuff, like replacing eyelets, or other shoe repairs not on these boots (bigger stuff I send back to Hoffman's).

Sure beats going through a set of $150 boots year after year though!
Hoffmans are for sure good folks. Never bought leather work boots from them but have two pair of winter boots and bought wife and daughter winter boots from them also. They are also into wild land FF gear.

Reactions: MotorOilMcCall
Danner.

Depending on your climate, and how much your feet perspire.

Bull runs:
http://www.danner.com/productfamily/bull-run/men:work/
I consider these to be a little on the heavy side, but they will last forever and look awesome. The leather is top rate and they are very comfortable for moving around all day in. I tried the 6" and they bit into my achilles, but the 8" are perfect. There's no lining and lots of room for socks so you can adjust the padding, and swap out the socks when they get soggy. MADE IN THE USA.

Tachyon:
http://www.danner.com/productfamily/tachyon/men:military/
These ate light and comfortable. Very durable, and breathable.

Danner supports the shooting sports, and American men and women who work with firearms.

Early on in my LE career I was in Danner's sometimes 16-18 hours a day. At the end of my career (after the bumps, bruises, surgeries, and a few extra lbs) I moved to the Under Armour light weight ones.

I like my Lowa Uplanders with superfeet in them. I've got coworkers running the Cabelas boots, made by mendel, they've got a cork footbed that conforms to your feet very nicely. There are a lot of boots out there.
deano

It’s really more about the insoles than the boots, and don’t get some super soft squishy insole. Your feet need support, not a pillow. I wear the Danner tachyons on duty and love them. I pulled the insole and went and tried out several superfeet insoles till I found something I liked. Went from thinking I was going to need custom orthotics to no feet problems at all and I’m 250lbs and on my feet for multiple 16+hr shifts a week.

Until I turned 50 I could get by with anything or even nothing. As age and weight increased, along with moving to a house with all hard surface floors, I now understand what folks were talking about all these years. The best thing I have done for my feet is to get footwear large enough to allow two pair of light to medium weight cotton sox. Night and day difference. The next best think I am doing is to work on taking off 40 extra pounds. Not there yet but working on it.