• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Light(er) Weight 3-18x scope?

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    I’ve got an FN PBR that has a Nighforce SHV F1 on it. It maxes out at 14x magnification and I’m looking to replace it with something in the 18-21x on the top end, but would also like to keep the weight down.

Looking around I see the Leupold MK5HD and MK6 are in the 24-26 oz range and I kind of like the CCH reticle

I’ve got a gen 2 razor in 3-18 and it’s a tank at 46 ounces.

The Bushnell scopes in this range are around 37 ounces, so still rather heavy.

The Nightforces are a little under powered at 16x.

Is there anything else out there that would fit the bill?

Thanks

C8B80953-B2A3-4EF0-B5C6-676B34BB3CA2.jpeg

Read the review of the Burris XTR3 by @Glassaholic .

He picks the Burris over both the NX8 and MK5. Calling it the best value of its type in the sub $2k price point. It's 13" and 29ozs. Thevreviw is here on the Hide.

Pulled this from Bushnell back in the day. The illuminated version was 1.2 oz heavier than the non.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-170025.png
      Screenshot_20210330-170025.png
      454.3 KB · Views: 56
    Dudes, the minus of 25 & 28 is like 3oz...

That's almost the totally significant difference between a Leupy and an XTR3...
    Damn Pathagoras, what are you doing hanging out on the hide?

Personally, I like the Leupold reticles more than the Bushnells.

Dudes, the minus of 25 & 28 is like 3oz...

That's almost the totally significant difference between a Leupy and an XTR3...
    Haha, I can barely tell the difference of 3ozs holding one item in one hand, and the other item in the other hand!

I sure as hell cant tell the difference in 3ozs on a rifle, with a bipod, sling, scope, mounts, and a loaded magazine. Let alone added to your total carry weight of pack and gear..

No one else can either ..🤣

Haha, I can barely tell the difference of 3ozs holding one item in one hand, and the other item in the other hand!

I sure as hell cant tell the difference in 3ozs on a rifle, with a bipod, sling, scope, mounts, and a loaded magazine. Let alone added to your total carry weight of pack and gear..

No one else can either ..🤣
    Correct, BUT i can add up. You don’t drop 3k or more on a lightweight rifle and then give up on weight on the glass, unless there is that big of a jump in performance.

Correct, BUT i can add up. You don’t drop 3k or more on a lightweight rifle and then give up on weight on the glass, unless there is that big of a jump in performance.
    I'm not exactly a subscriber to that school of thought. I'm more a build the rifle I want, with the equipment I want, and it weighs what it weighs.

My 300 Norma elk rifle weighs 12lbs. I could have gone lighter. I could have shaved 3lbs. But its the rifle I want. I love the way it shoots, and when it comes time to take a shot, its what I want in my hands.

I shave weight in areas where I can. I hunt in some nasty damn country out here in Idaho.. But a few pounds here and there don't make a difference to me. I dont notice it. Ounces isn't even on my radar.

Reactions: bobke
    My PBR plays two roles, deer rifle and range toy, so I’d like to keep it somewhat lightweight, but I’m not looking to carry it up Mt. Rainier or anything.

I always imagine (and could be completely wrong here) that the guy trying to save 3 oz on his rifle is 30 lbs (or 480 oz) overweight, hahaha!

Ounces are everywhere...

Reactions: Birddog6424
    Trijicon lists their Tenmile 3-18x44 at 24.4oz

Reactions: Eric_F
    I’ve got an FN PBR that has a Nighforce SHV F1 on it. It maxes out at 14x magnification and I’m looking to replace it with something in the 18-21x on the top end, but would also like to keep the weight down.

Looking around I see the Leupold MK5HD and MK6 are in the 24-26 oz range and I kind of like the CCH reticle

I’ve got a gen 2 razor in 3-18 and it’s a tank at 46 ounces.

The Bushnell scopes in this range are around 37 ounces, so still rather heavy.

The Nightforces are a little under powered at 16x.

Is there anything else out there that would fit the bill?

Thanks

View attachment 7677136
    Mk5

Reactions: SepticDeath
    I recently replaced a 4-16 ATACR with the smaller Mk5 on my hunting rifle and I’m 100% satisfied with the optic. Don’t feel like I gave up much of anything and got to shave some weight.

Reactions: GUNNER10