• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light Gun ELR Scope Mag?

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,

Trying to pick brains of other ELR shooters on this.

How much zoom do you use for targets between 2000-2400, and those between 2400-3000 yards?

What is the minimum mag required on a light gun ELR scope in your opinion?

thanks for your inputs

quality over quantity
yeah absolutely. Budget is not much of a constraint, issue is what is minimum ideal zoom, I have couple a Mk5HD and Atacr and S&B lying around...trying to figure out what goes on what gun without buying a new scope.

It kind of depends on how you shoot. I tend to dial my magnification to a value that allows me to center the visually tiny target into the center of the reticle, but with enough FOV to spot my misses, and be able to get back on target fairly quickly. Sometimes for 2000-2500 yards that's 18x - 25x. But some folks like to shoot it like F-Class, getting fully zoomed into a portion of the target, and then spend the time of flight trying to get centered again coming off of recoil. Folks doing that are going to be zoomed well beyond 25x.

Inside a 2000, I'm at 15x or so... past that I'm at like 18x to 20x, but I've only been out to 2500 yards.
I mostly like high mag for 100 yard zero, but 5-25 is perfectly fine.

Scott

Reactions: Taylorbok
I've had a Nightforce 12-42 for about 15 years and I think I've only been able to shoot with it at 42x once. The reality is that the mirage is usually so bad at higher magnification that in practice 20x is often as good as it is going to get. The other thing to consider is that on many scopes the maximum elevation travel is lower with the variants that have a higher zoom range.

-Alex

Reactions: Taylorbok
Min power would be a 20 power. I have a 3-27 and 5-27 on my ELR rifles. Good scope for the money is a Tract Toric 4.5-30x56 for under 2k.