• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light Headed? Help!

Dylan in AZ

Shooting Addict
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2010
Arizona
Usually if I stand up and immediatly stretch (imagine getting up after a long boreing movie finally ended) I get very light headed. It's usually controllable, I just have to stay still and support myself on occasion until it passes.

This only started happening a few years ago, and I figured it was due to constant violent nose bleeds I would get day in and day out that would cause this problem. I was thinking lack of blood, but after I had that pesky blood vessle cotterized the bleeding stopped and the light headed-ness continued albeit at a much less frequent rate and not as intense.

So I thought it had been taken care of for the most part, however that apparently wasn't the case. Within the last three weeks I've actually gotten up and collapsed immediatly several times, two times blacking out.

I think it may have something to do with my diet now. I am very lean, do lots of cardio, lots of weight lifting, and don't eat very well in my opinion. I'm currently 5'9" and weigh around 150lbs. As far as food goes, I wake up and eat breakfast (admittedly not every morning though) which consists of a small bown of frosted flakes and 2% milk. Somewhere around mid day I eat lunch and that's usually not much more than a single ham and turkey sandwich in terms of serving size. At dinner I clean off a whole plate full of usually meat, veggies, and noodles or something. Late at night I sometimes break out a small snack.

My activity level has diminished over the last year so I guess that too might have an effect... Anyways, I usually get mountain biking in on the weekends, and on weekdays I try to go to the gym at least 3 times a week for anywhere from 2-4 hours doing mostly weight lifting and minor cardio on occasion.

I really don't know what the problem is and just need some advise because I don't want to black out one of these days and bust my head open on something. That would be a crappy way to die...

Any and all help is appreciated as usual

-Dylan

Re: Light Headed? Help!

See a Dr. Short term check your blood pressure seated and then check it again after standing. Could be hydrostatic. I would talk to an M.D.

Good idea, I'll see a doc about it soon then. As far as checking blood pressure after standing, should it be done as soon as I stand or after I've gained composure? I will post numbers later tonight.

I get a similiar thing.

Normally it's hypoglycemia, meaning I need some blood sugar.

SOMETIMES it's only when I am not drinking enough water - but not that often.

In other words when I'm not eating well.

The nosebleeds you spoke of - malnutrition is the FIRST thing I think of when I hear those - and I had a broken nose and had it cauterized too so I don't get nose bleeds when I'm not eating well.

You gotta eat dude.

If you are doing all the workouts that you describe, then you need to eat more.
You need to include some protein in your diet.
Your body needs fuel to run on.
Go to the Dr. and tell him what you just have written here.
Good luck and eat right.
Let us know what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to the Dr. and tell him what you just have written here.
Good luck and eat right.
Let us know what happens. </div></div>

+1

Run #1 (Sitting on the floor after 5 minutes relaxation): 131/86 and BPM = 80

Run #2 (Laying Flat on my back on the floor): 131/86 and BPM = 74

Run #3 (Stood straight up and pressed "start" on my way up, *Note: no light headedness felt*): 120/84 and BPM = 97

Run #4 (1 minute of jumping jacks, 60 pushups straight, 1 minute of running in place and then 1 minute rest): 148/79 and BPM = 90

This sadens me because it means my beats per minute has nearly doubled from a year ago when I was in my peak condition doing conditioning almost daily and getting to the point of being competetive on a road bike. Was around 48 BPM.... Not looking so great right now. But I'm still young so it shouldn't be too hard to get that lowered again. As far as the blood pressures go, what do you guys think? I do not know anything about the numbers...

So, I need more protein in my diet, more water because I dehydrate sometimes, and more food overall. I don't like eating alot all at once (unless it's delicious) so would it be acceptable to eat more than three times a day but in smaller servings? Oh, and I do believe I used to be a tad malnourished. My body fat was just below the 4% mark when I got my physical done a year or two ago when I was having all the nose bleed issues...

Also, I'll be going into a training program in addition to my usual routines (which if I do my part are only going to intensify) in around 1.5 months offered through my school. So I'll get in alot more running and lifting than I will right now while school is out.

So, time to figure out a plan?

Check your supplements, are you taking a lot of stimulants? I know lots of active people on low cal or low quality diets get very comfortable taking an unhealthy amount of stimulants to make up for lack of dietary energy. Its a rough combination that can also lead to your symptoms. When you go see your MD make sure he knows about any supplements your taking.

Good luck and I hope its something easily rectified.

+1 more on the blood pressure check. Especially paired with other symptoms, like chronically waking up several times in the middle of he night to urinate.

I don't have the urination problem. And I don't take any suppliments or anything like that. I've never even used creotine or anything like that. I've always been a fan of doing everything by myself without the help of "enhancers" to generalize them all into one category.

And thinking back to every encounter I've had with local doctors about a variety of other problems that have come up through my life; I've never met a single one who didn't just want to prescribe me some meds and push me out the door. And I refuse to take any meds that I don't absolutly have to.

Good to hear your steering clear of that stuff. As far as the MDs and meds, your generally correct. Its hard to find one sometimes who really wants to help.

Best of luck to you, Hope you find one who takes the time to help. And if he does prescribe something to you, hopefully can tell you exactly why, and if you can rectify the issue through lifestyle change.

<span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> So, I need more protein in my diet, more water because I dehydrate sometimes, and more food overall. I don't like eating alot all at once (unless it's delicious) so would it be acceptable to eat more than three times a day but in smaller servings? Oh, and I do believe I used to be a tad malnourished. My body fat was just below the 4% mark when I got my physical done a year or two ago when I was having all the nose bleed issues...

Yes, eat every 2 to 3hrs, maybe 6 small portions.
Go to the Dr.

How should I structure those meals? (links to other threads/articles others have written might be helpful too if it's easier on you guys?)

How does a gallon of water a day sound in addition to the increased intake of food? I'm so lost... Maybe instead of seeing a doctor a dietician or personal trainer or even a coach would be better? Just throwing out ideas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run #1 (Sitting on the floor after 5 minutes relaxation): 131/86 and BPM = 80

Run #3 (Stood straight up and pressed "start" on my way up, *Note: no light headedness felt*): 120/84 and BPM = 97

Run #4 (1 minute of jumping jacks, 60 pushups straight, 1 minute of running in place and then 1 minute rest): 148/79 and BPM = 90

This sadens me because it means my beats per minute has nearly doubled from a year ago when I was in my peak condition doing conditioning almost daily and getting to the point of being competetive on a road bike. Was around 48 BPM.... Not looking so great right now. But I'm still young so it shouldn't be too hard to get that lowered again. As far as the blood pressures go, what do you guys think? I do not know anything about the numbers...

So, I need more protein in my diet, more water because I dehydrate sometimes, and more food overall. I don't like eating alot all at once (unless it's delicious) so would it be acceptable to eat more than three times a day but in smaller servings? Oh, and I do believe I used to be a tad malnourished. My body fat was just below the 4% mark when I got my physical done a year or two ago when I was having all the nose bleed issues...

Also, I'll be going into a training program in addition to my usual routines (which if I do my part are only going to intensify) in around 1.5 months offered through my school. So I'll get in alot more running and lifting than I will right now while school is out.

</div></div>
The drop in blood pressure standing is an orthostatic responce. Possible hydration issues.There are possibilities OTHER than simple dehydration. Don't mess with advice not giving by an M.D.Go to see one ASAP

At your height, you should be eating over 2500 calories. You may also be eating too many bad carbs. Working out for 2-4 hours may also be too much. You may want to cut the hours down at the gym to no more than 1-1.5 hours and just do lifting stuff at the gum and do cardio on your own. Eat healthy, drink plenty of water, and try to get at least 7 hours of sleep. Check into the Paleo Diet or just cut out the bad grains (bread, rice, pasta, corn, cereals, etc and replace them with fruits and veggies).

This is assuming you don't have any health issues.

I re-did the blood pressure tests and got scores much lower than before. This time my left arm was at 114/83 @ 74bpm and right arm was at 113/75 @ 67bpm. I re-did the standing trial and got 103/71 @ 103bpm. It's hard to believe that just adding more water through out the day and eating a little more made such a big difference. But it has, and also the light headed-ness has become much less intense and very infrequent so my hopes are high to say the least! I'll continue this process and keep you guys updated on the progress. Thanks everyone!

You need to eat,,,your blood sugar is low.
That is why you should eat 6 times a day.
You should see a Dr.

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell that my blood sugar is too low?

If you start blacking out, throw your arms over your head and take a slow deep breath. It helps, not entirely sure why, but it does.

Because when my sugars low and I stand up fast, I get light headed.

Have you tried to "Google" any of these problems?

I have a 10 year old son who is type 1 diabetic and a mother in law that has type 2 diabetes. I'm not a doctor but it might be worth checking your blood sugar with a glucose meter. Just a suggestion if you have not already done that. Good luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity, how can you tell that my blood sugar is too low? </div></div>

Because I have the same issue.

Drink a pepsi when that happens and watch...Hypoglycemia or HyperGlycemia do that to you..

My mom was always that way, has type 2, in control without shots....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you start blacking out, throw your arms over your head and take a slow deep breath. It helps, not entirely sure why, but it does. </div></div>
Good to know, I will keep that in mind next time this happens
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because when my sugars low and I stand up fast, I get light headed.

Have you tried to "Google" any of these problems?</div></div>
That makes sense. And no, I haven't really spent too much time on Google about this. I ran a few searches for "what causes me to get light headed" and similar, but without being able to get specific about myself and all that other good stuff I figured detailing everything for you all might get me better results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodeo Trash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 10 year old son who is type 1 diabetic and a mother in law that has type 2 diabetes. I'm not a doctor but it might be worth checking your blood sugar with a glucose meter. Just a suggestion if you have not already done that. Good luck!!</div></div>
That idea has ran through my mind too, so I will probably end up doing that shortly, thank you. I'm going to put my research panties on tomorrow and really try to learn and understand the things that relate to my problem. (I don't really wear panties on any occasion though, just to be clear
wink.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because I have the same issue.

Drink a pepsi when that happens and watch...Hypoglycemia or HyperGlycemia do that to you..

My mom was always that way, has type 2, in control without shots....</div></div>
It's really incredible how such small, and seemingly unimportant, changes in your diet can have massive effects on your body and how you feel.

It sounds like a blood pressure issue to me. If it were a blood sugar issue you would also be sweating and shaking along with the dizziness. That being said, it doesnt sound like you're eating enough based upon your activity. You should always eat breakfast. If you dont have time I would suggest eating a good meal replacement bar. You can buy them by the box pretty cheap at places like Supplement Warehouse. I would also keep your weight lifting portion of your workouts to an hour maximum. Anything more than that and you're over training. I would increase the intensity of the workout session and decrease the length. Meaning cut the rest time between sets.

Check your blood sugar in the morning before you eat, normal is between 80 and 120 for most but on the lower end after not eating for that long. Good luck!!!

Well i've been trying to eat more, drink more, and excercize a bit less these last few days and I've noticed an incredible improvement. I get light headed only once a day now and it's not even anything major, just like the sleightest headache coming on, and then I put my arms over my head and breathe slowly as Powder Burns suggested, and it goes away and I continue onwards.

I like not having this problem anymore. It's definitely a wake up call from my body letting me know I need to start taking care of myself better if I want to continue enjoying my life.

Thanks to all who helped me out!
smile.gif

These symptoms are not to be played with!
Get to a good IM (Internal Medicine)immediately.
It could be anything from a simple fix like diet, BP, BS.
or it could be as dangerous as a leaky Aneurysm.
I was working ER once. Young man came in picture of health, low body fat, lean muscle, young about mid 20's complaining of light headness, headache. I sat him down in ER exam room, turned around to walk away, heard a thump. He was on the floor blue as a fish hook. Dead from a cerebral aneurysm. This is an extreme example but can happen. This is not the place to be diagnosed!

You may have some vertigo. are you somewhat dizzy when you first get out of bed and try to walk? have you been doing any flying or driving where there is a change in altitude when this first started happening?

If it continues see a doc.

Primary causes:

HypoGlycemia
Dehydration
Malnutrition.

Drink plenty of water, avoid sweets, eat good.
Mild on the excercise, you may have been overdoing it.

Right after my blackbelt test I thought I was going to pass out LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtwodogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These symptoms are not to be played with!
I was working ER once. Young man came in picture of health, low body fat, lean muscle, young about mid 20's complaining of light headness, headache. I sat him down in ER exam room, turned around to walk away, heard a thump. He was on the floor blue as a fish hook. Dead from a cerebral aneurysm. This is an extreme example but can happen. This is not the place to be diagnosed!</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtwodogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These symptoms are not to be played with!
I was working ER once. Young man came in picture of health, low body fat, lean muscle, young about mid 20's complaining of light headness, headache. I sat him down in ER exam room, turned around to walk away, heard a thump. He was on the floor blue as a fish hook. Dead from a cerebral aneurysm. This is an extreme example but can happen. This is not the place to be diagnosed!</div></div>

+3

Thanks for the help again guys, but I do not require seeing a doctor for this. Through Suggestions from people on here I tried a few simple changes to my lifestyle and have pretty much eliminated the problem. I needed a little more water in my day and I need to eat more often.

The reason I need more water is I can't remember to drink it on my own and some mornings wake up with dehydrated nostrils. This problem doesn't occur when I'm drinking more water more often.

And I have discovered through some simple dietary chages that I wasn't eating enough as the primary problem. I start eating more in a day and magically my symptoms go away (rhyme not intended). Yet on those days that I cannot fit in quite as much food the light headedness comes back, albeit not at full bore like it was there for a while. So eating more [and eating CORRECTLY] is proving to be the key for my problem.

Now that I know this I have been looking for info on how to structure meals and what to eat and how much for the activity level. I'm also going to be redesigning my workouts to spread the work load over the week evenly:

Monday is upper body; Tuesday is Lower body lifts; Wednesday is Core, Chest and Back; Thursday is Cardio (specifically running); Friday is upper body, same as monday; Saturday is Cardio (mountain biking/hiking/trail running: outdoors cardio); and finally Sunday is resting day, when i'll be spending most of my time shooting my rifle/bow and relaxing.

Now what I need to figure out is how to structure my meals and how frequently I need to snack on things to get the most out of my workouts and to prevent from having this problem anymore. The question to follow that one is how do I structure my meals/snacks for regular days when I am not able to get my exercize in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the help again guys, but I do not require seeing a doctor for this. Through Suggestions from people on here I tried a few simple changes to my lifestyle and have pretty much eliminated the problem. I needed a little more water in my day and I need to eat more often.

The reason I need more water is I can't remember to drink it on my own and some mornings wake up with dehydrated nostrils. This problem doesn't occur when I'm drinking more water more often.

And I have discovered through some simple dietary chages that I wasn't eating enough as the primary problem. I start eating more in a day and magically my symptoms go away (rhyme not intended). Yet on those days that I cannot fit in quite as much food the light headedness comes back, albeit not at full bore like it was there for a while. So eating more [and eating CORRECTLY] is proving to be the key for my problem.

Now that I know this I have been looking for info on how to structure meals and what to eat and how much for the activity level. I'm also going to be redesigning my workouts to spread the work load over the week evenly:

Monday is upper body; Tuesday is Lower body lifts; Wednesday is Core, Chest and Back; Thursday is Cardio (specifically running); Friday is upper body, same as monday; Saturday is Cardio (mountain biking/hiking/trail running: outdoors cardio); and finally Sunday is resting day, when i'll be spending most of my time shooting my rifle/bow and relaxing.

Now what I need to figure out is how to structure my meals and how frequently I need to snack on things to get the most out of my workouts and to prevent from having this problem anymore. The question to follow that one is how do I structure my meals/snacks for regular days when I am not able to get my exercize in.

</div></div>

That's great to hear. I take food in a small cooler with me to work. I have breakfast at 0700 AM, snacks at 1000 AM, lunch at 1200 PM, snacks at 1500 PM, and dinner when I get home at around 1900 PM. Very easy for me to follow.

Again, not going to see a doctor. I have fixed the problem already.

paulosantos - I was thinking of a very similar structure for myself. But I think I may need to add an extra snack time somewhere after dinner. I wake up starving some nights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, not going to see a doctor. I have fixed the problem already.

paulosantos - I was thinking of a very similar structure for myself. But I think I may need to add an extra snack time somewhere after dinner. I wake up starving some nights. </div></div>

Try eating about 3 hours before bed. Eat plenty of proteins and fats. Carbs don't really fill you up. If I'm still hungry, I'll eat an apple with almond butter.

I usually keep a similar schedule to what paulosantos is suggesting. I eat a bowl of cereal between 6:30 and 7:00, an apple around 9:30, lunch (usually a natural peanut butter on wheat sandwich, an orange, and about 6 baby carrot sticks) at noon, a granola bar around 15:30, and supper about 18:00-18:30. If I've put in more activity like extra running time, I'll have a snack like some stove-popped popcorn and a glass of milk (or a dark chocolate square if I want something sweet) around 21:00. Of course, I'm on a calorie deficit to shed some weight so I'm only netting 1400 calories daily right now.

Since I've started that schedule, I've noticed that I haven't had headaches (unless I'm under my water consumption - I usually have 1 liter by lunch, 1 liter by supper, and another half-to-1 liter after supper), my blood pressure's gone down, my rhr has gone down, and I haven't been dizzy when standing from bending over or sitting down like I used to occasionally experience like you. You would be amazed at the energy you gain and how much better you feel on a multiple small meal per day schedule. Glad to hear your dizzy spells have all but stopped - that's good news!

Sounds like low blood pressure, but apparently you got it sorted out. Hope it continues to go well.

I get that your "not going to see a doctor" but if the problems recur...
Severe nosebleeds (epistaxis) - first thing I think of is Osler Weber Rendu, a hereditary condition of small AVM's (you would see red dots on your tongue, on fingers), or juvenile angiofibroma (usually only diagnosed by scanning). If they scanned you before cauterizing the nose great...can ignore that. You can have subtle blood loss in the GI tract in OWR, that can lead to the orthostatic hypotension. If the epistaxis hasn't returned, a great OTC product to keep the nasal lining moisturized is called Ayr nasal gel - its water based, not greasy, usually between 4-5$. Another non-invasive trick I learned was putting lidocaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine (normally used to numb skin) on a Q-tip and hold on bleeder; is sometimes just enough epi. to cause the blood vessel to constrict & clot off.

If not due to occult blood loss, I would be concerned the hypotension would be autonomic (sympathetic nervous system) in nature; neurologists are usually a little more in tune. Sounds like you've been to docs "that get you in & out" ; usually because these days docs need to see large volumes of patients to meet overhead. Docs at med schools/teaching hospitals are salaried- so they tend to take their time more with patients. There is a Mayo Clinic branch in Arizona you may consider (yes its drive, but may be worth it; they certainly aren't going to shove you in & out). And sadly, as some docs get older, they forget the long differentials and always assume the most common diagnoses - so an internal medicine doc within 5-10 years of completely training might be a good idea.

Sorry guys, I had forgotten about this thread. Thanks for the reply paulosantos.

Spazz, I haven't had hardly any headaches either since I changed how I treat myself. I've been light headed a couple times lately but I believe it's fully due to not eating quite enough. It only ever happens on days that I go without as much food as I should be eating.

FPO, I think i'm good to go, thanks!

UKD, I'll make sure to go get checked thuroughly if my problems ever arise again. And thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction as far as doctors and the Mayo Clinic. Its such a nice feeling to know that not all doctors treat their patients how my previous ones do.

I need to take an emergency medicine class or something similar. All of this stuff is incredibly interesting to me and all those little tips and tricks could be exceptionally usefull someday with all the dangerous activities I enjoy participating in.
smile.gif

-Dylan

Well it's been warmer here and I am back to having some of the lightheadedness as well but for me I just need to eat and I often forget to do that in the morning..

Once I eat, good to go....and it runs in the family here.

sounds like orthostatic hypotension. eating more,hyrdrating more releave some of the causes. However there may be some other underlying causes of it. If you have insurance spend the 20 dollar co pay and see your doctor. You guys can spend 3k on a rifle and hours and the range. but not 20 bucks on a doctors appointment. Hate for you to pass out during bench press or squats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terror!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run #1 (Sitting on the floor after 5 minutes relaxation): 131/86 and BPM = 80

So, I need more protein in my diet, more water because I dehydrate sometimes, and more food overall. I don't like eating alot all at once (unless it's delicious) <span style="color: #FF0000"> so would it be acceptable to eat more than three times a day but in smaller servings?</span> Oh, and I do believe I used to be a tad malnourished. My body fat was just below the 4% mark when I got my physical done a year or two ago when I was having all the nose bleed issues...

</div></div>

Actually several smaller meals through out the day is MUCH healthier for you. easier for the stomach to digest small quantities fo food. LOTS OF WATER.