• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Light hunting optics

Awesymoto

Awesymoto outdoors
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Eye da hoe
sites.google.com
Lass's and Lads,

I am trying to narrow down some light hunting optics. Ideally I'd like it to be under 20 oz. low end mag ish 2-3 high end no higher than 15. 1" or 30mm tube don't care

Some background I'm running an AMG and have a Premier 3-15 on my LR guns, but on my Howa 1500 I'm running a 3-9x40 Redfield TAC MOA. I noticed on a few hunts the elevation knob is turning while hiking in / out, and because it doesn't have a zero stop this makes you guess which way zero is... Bummer, good optic for the $ and great glass even with a 1" tube.

So anyways I've been considering the optics ranging in price from the Vortex Viper to the Vortex Razor LH, including some Leupold options. I've been out of the optics game for a while, are there any other ones out there that are light, good glass, durable, and hold a zero? As far as reticles I really don't care, I don't prefer BDC and duplex is fine with me if it has knobs you can adjust w/o a coin. No external turrets unless they lock or have a Z stop

This will be going on my Howa .243 for deer and max range is 400 yards!

Thanks all!
Awesymoto

My choice, on my hunting guns, is NF 2.5-10 X24 or 32 or 42. Mil Dot reticle, though I also have the Mil R . Mildot is a bit bolder, and I find it better for my use. I prefer the x24 or x32, as they don't have parallax adjustment. Just not needed for my 300 and in, or your 400 and in hunting.

Razor HD LH is your best bet, given your criteria, I think.

Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42 is worh a look as well, if you want reticle illumination.

Leica Visus (formerly known as ERi) 2.5-10x42 is an excellent option as well, especially if you find the discontinued ERi that was replaced by Visus. I've seen good deals on these a little while back.

ILya

Seems like the NF NXS 2.5-10 series and SWFA are the most popular recommendations.

Swarovski z3 4-12x50 with 4a reticle is my favorite. Looked at the shv, Steiner gs , because I just want something new but side by side I have to go with the swaro. I have had a number of leupolds and Zeiss’s and for a light weight hunting scope that is fantastic and no frills. The Swarovski is my personal favorite.

Have never needed illumination on the 4a and the only scope I’ve used Illum is was on my eclan because the reticle Got lost in the cloud of pigs and darkness. That said, on my 6.8 hog killer. I'm going to try out the 2-10x42 NF SHV with force plex since I won't be shooting over 200 or so with the 6.8 and am looking for a tough as nails scope. Had the Elcan on it and it was great but a little over kill.

I bought a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 with Firedot Duplex. The elevation has a zero stop and the windage is capped so I don’t think you will have problems with turrets getting turned in the field. Nice thing is you get a free Custom Dial System CDS that can be made for your rounds and should have no problem getting out to 400 and beyond.

I looked through a few scopes and for me Leupold hit all the features I was looking for and it’s lightweight and has a lifetime warranty.

I was considering the Vortex as well be wanted to be able to dial elevation with yardage marks and not have to do any calculations just range and shoot.

Good luck as there are many good options out there.

Swarovski Z3 3-12x42. I currently have that on My LR howa built and it is perfect out to 850-900 with the BRH reticle. You can get with straight duplex if you want or other reticles. Glass is great, lightweight, can take hard knocks and holds zero.
I wouldn’t be upgrading mine if it wasn’t for trying to get to 1mile on steel.

With no budget mentioned that I saw, I will give you my list:
Tangent Theta TT315M (or TT315H)
March F 3-24×52 (FFP) or 2.5-25×53 (SFP)
SWFA SS 3-15×42
Used Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50

SWFA just came out with a super lightweight 2.5-10 scope that would be worth considering for hunting on a budget. Probably decent glass, but nowhere near the quality of the high-dollar scopes you're used to.

Looked at some the Leica website gives me headaches. I like the swaro and will be heading to cabelas to look at some of the more common ones out there. I do like the nightforce 2.5x10 nxs because it brings good reticles but seems a bit $ for what it is. Thanks for the replys!

Reactions: jwhjwh54
Zeiss V6 3-18×50
22 ounces Moa turrets
Excellent scope. Mounted one on a lightweight 6.5 PRC
Best price was at Redhawkrifles.com
20180421_140632-1.jpg

Just went through this same drill. I've owned many, many top tier scopes but found most of them too heavy and large for a carry rifle.

Looked at lots of options but ended up with a very reasonably priced (actually three of them) Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 scopes with the firedot reticle. I sold off two NF NSX 2.5-10x42 scopes because I just couldn't see the reticles very well. I am VERY happy with the Leupolds. Doug at Camerland worked me a great deal. I think they run about 19 ozs.

Reactions: Awesymoto
When it comes to optics/glass, to some degree you get what you pay for. You can of course spend too much meaning lots more $$ for insignificant gains but for $300 (or less), you're not going to get much. Not to say you can't find something in that price range that'll work, but you will pay a penalty in light gathering, clarity, color rendition, edge distortion, tracking, durability, etc.
I'm as frugal as the next guy but I'm not willing to risk a several thousand dollar guided hunt, or any hunt for that matter, on the cheapest piece of glass I can find.
If you've ever used a mid to upper echelon optic, you would appreciate the differences.
FWIW

Last edited:
Reactions: CStroud
Macdaddy, I have a rig for premier hunts. A TL3 proof research 28 Nosler. I'm more or less looking for a reliable optic for coyote and varmint maybe fall over the counter deer doe or buck tag. If trophies are on the line the 28 gets pulled. If not my howa in 243.

Macdaddy, I have a rig for premier hunts. A TL3 proof research 28 Nosler. I'm more or less looking for a reliable optic for coyote and varmint maybe fall over the counter deer doe or buck tag. If trophies are on the line the 28 gets pulled. If not my howa in 243.
Awesymoto: I think my note about "you get what you pay for" was actually in response to another thread where one of the respondents said he'd "never pay more than $300 for a scope for a hunting rifle". I'm not sure how I ended responding to that comment on your thread but it was not aimed at you. Sorry about that.

The Zeiss HD5 with the locking turrets is an underrated piece of kit IMO. Great for mountain hunting.

I got my Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 from @Mile High Shooting the other day.. thank you! . Couldn't find the blemish from the blemish sale and put it on my 6.8 SBR w/ Larue mount. I think I finally found my perfect set up for my hunting situations. Hogs are going to take a beating this year.

Still Considering the Steiner GS3 2-10x42 vs Swarovski z3 4-12x50. The z3 should be the better scope in every area but since I have two Swarovski's I think I just wanting something different. Going on a winchester super grade so the weight is already on the heavier side.

Last edited:
Euro optic has the S&B 3-12x42 precision hunter on sale for $1500. 20 ounces, mildot reticle, great glass...

Another vote for VX-5HD 3-15x. You can get a custom dial system that ranges from 100-700 yards if you know the ammunition ballistics and average humidity and temp you hunt in. I have 3 different CDS version leupold scopes and love them. This scope has the locking elevation turret. The VX3i is a great scope as well with less features if your looking for a budget scope, but would only suggest it in a 30mm tube. The vx5hd is on sale right now for $100 off.

NF 2.5-10x42. Those great NF turrets, zero stop, and durability.
Not a fan of BDC/CDS turrets, especially as distance grows and environmentals turn.

Last edited: