• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light-ish FFP mid zoom scopes

Eric1115

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2020
Last post got removed for having a WTB request outside of the PX. My apologies, did not intend for it to be a WTB ad.

I'm trying to find options for a long range big game rifle that I also shoot steel with (currently comfortable at 600 on game and just started hitting steel at 1000+ last summer). Looking for the following:
FFP
3ish to at least 10x, prefer 12 or 15
Capped or locking windage
Reticle for holding wind at a minimum
MOA (I shoot and hunt with a group that all still uses MOA)
Adjustable parallax preferred
24 oz or so, lighter is better
~$1k

Scopes I know of that check most of these boxes:
-Bushnell LRHS - discontinued, hard to find (especially in 3-12 and especially especially in MOA).
-Leupold Mk5 3.6-18, on the upper end weight and outside price range
-Athlon Helos 2-12 - not sure about glass or tracking/reliability, as it's a $500 scope. I have an Ares that I've been generally happy with, but that's a couple steps up the line.
-Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 is MIL only

Honestly a Razor LHT or Leupold VX-5HD would check all my boxes if they were available in FFP.

I heard rumors of a FFP Razor LHT, but obviously nothing confirmed. Vortex tech guy said they have been getting lots of requests for such a thing but didn't spill any beans.

Guy I talked to at Leupold was pretty dismissive, his answer was that FFP was too expensive to produce at that price point. I realize it's a little bit apples and oranges but there are a ton of $500 to $1k FFP scopes coming from the OEM's. Not sure what to make of that conversation.

My Ares 2.5-15 would be great if I could cap the windage and drop 4-6 oz. I've really enjoyed being able to turn down magnification and spot impacts at 8x on 500 yard shots that I haven't been able to do at 15x with a hunting weight magnum. With illumination the reticle is for me still very usable at low magnification. Having wind holds at any magnification is something I've gotten used to and really don't want to give up.

What am I missing? Everyone seems to love their LRHS and LRTS and Mk5's for mid to long range western hunting, why aren't there more mid priced options in this category? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a mid priced, 28-32 oz FFP tactical scope with huge turrets or a 20 oz SFP hunting scope that needs to be cranked to max magnification to use the wind holds, but this niche has almost nothing.

Or is there a reason I'm not appreciating for why I shouldn't be wanting this scope? I'm absolutely open to hearing why I'm an idiot for thinking this is what I need.

Thanks!

Last post got removed for having a WTB request outside of the PX. My apologies, did not intend for it to be a WTB ad.

I'm trying to find options for a long range big game rifle that I also shoot steel with (currently comfortable at 600 on game and just started hitting steel at 1000+ last summer). Looking for the following:
FFP
3ish to at least 10x, prefer 12 or 15
Capped or locking windage
Reticle for holding wind at a minimum
MOA (I shoot and hunt with a group that all still uses MOA)
Adjustable parallax preferred
24 oz or so, lighter is better
~$1k
There simply are not any FFP scopes that weight that light for $1k. March is about the closest with their 3-24x52 at 24oz, but it's north of $2500. Leupold Mark 6 3-18 is that light but hard to find and often expensive unless you get a deal.
Scopes I know of that check most of these boxes:
-Bushnell LRHS - discontinued, hard to find (especially in 3-12 and especially especially in MOA).
-Leupold Mk5 3.6-18, on the upper end weight and outside price range
Curious, why did you put the Leupold Mark 5 in there if it's outside the price range (PS - you can often find these used for close to your price)
-Athlon Helos 2-12 - not sure about glass or tracking/reliability, as it's a $500 scope. I have an Ares that I've been generally happy with, but that's a couple steps up the line.
-Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 is MIL only
I cannot recommend as all Athlon's except for Cronus are Chinese, and I don't like to support CCP
Guy I talked to at Leupold was pretty dismissive, his answer was that FFP was too expensive to produce at that price point. I realize it's a little bit apples and oranges but there are a ton of $500 to $1k FFP scopes coming from the OEM's. Not sure what to make of that conversation.
He should have clarified it is "hard" to make a "good" FFP scope at $1k, yes, plenty of Chinese cheap stuff (see above)
What am I missing? Everyone seems to love their LRHS and LRTS and Mk5's for mid to long range western hunting, why aren't there more mid priced options in this category? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a mid priced, 28-32 oz FFP tactical scope with huge turrets or a 20 oz SFP hunting scope that needs to be cranked to max magnification to use the wind holds, but this niche has almost nothing.
Here is my personal opinion. Manufacturers focus on low hanging fruit - it is guaranteed revenue. But few are willing to take risks on market niche's that may or may not support the R&D costs to get there. Many of us have asked for a lighter weight FFP crossover style scope, but few manufacturers have responded; however, rumor has it that will change soon ;)
Or is there a reason I'm not appreciating for why I shouldn't be wanting this scope? I'm absolutely open to hearing why I'm an idiot for thinking this is what I need.
You're not an idiot, manufacturers have been neglecting lightweight FFP long range scopes for too long. You are handicapping yourself by making MOA a criteria and so your selection will be less than it could be.

I have a line on a Premier LT 3-15x50 (27oz) with mildot reticle and moa turrets (a big no no around here) that is under your price point, if you want the best glass there is then this might be the right scope for you, PM me if you have interest.

There simply are not any FFP scopes that weight that light for $1k. March is about the closest with their 3-24x52 at 24oz, but it's north of $2500. Leupold Mark 6 3-18 is that light but hard to find and often expensive unless you get a deal.

Curious, why did you put the Leupold Mark 5 in there if it's outside the price range (PS - you can often find these used for close to your price)

I cannot recommend as all Athlon's except for Cronus are Chinese, and I don't like to support CCP

He should have clarified it is "hard" to make a "good" FFP scope at $1k, yes, plenty of Chinese cheap stuff (see above)

Here is my personal opinion. Manufacturers focus on low hanging fruit - it is guaranteed revenue. But few are willing to take risks on market niche's that may or may not support the R&D costs to get there. Many of us have asked for a lighter weight FFP crossover style scope, but few manufacturers have responded; however, rumor has it that will change soon ;)

You're not an idiot, manufacturers have been neglecting lightweight FFP long range scopes for too long. You are handicapping yourself by making MOA a criteria and so your selection will be less than it could be.

I have a line on a Premier LT 3-15x50 (27oz) with mildot reticle and moa turrets (a big no no around here) that is under your price point, if you want the best glass there is then this might be the right scope for you, PM me if you have interest.
Thanks for taking the time, you've hit a bunch of the points I've been thinking about. I picked that Ares up on a great deal to try FFP and ended up really liking it, but the made in china thing does bother me.

I mentioned the Mark 5 as the closest current production scope I'm aware of, as a reference point. If it's the only thing out there, I may end up trying to stretch the budget a bit and get a used one.

In some ways the LRHS is the most frustrating part of this. 24 oz, around a grand, reputation for reliable and accurate tracking, and good (if not great) glass. So it's possible. I just don't understand why it wasn't popular enough to keep it in production.

Thanks for the offer on the premier, but this needs to not turn into a classifieds post.

Thanks for taking the time, you've hit a bunch of the points I've been thinking about. I picked that Ares up on a great deal to try FFP and ended up really liking it, but the made in china thing does bother me.

I mentioned the Mark 5 as the closest current production scope I'm aware of, as a reference point. If it's the only thing out there, I may end up trying to stretch the budget a bit and get a used one.
Fair enough, watch the classifieds for some great deals. I like the Mark 5
In some ways the LRHS is the most frustrating part of this. 24 oz, around a grand, reputation for reliable and accurate tracking, and good (if not great) glass. So it's possible. I just don't understand why it wasn't popular enough to keep it in production.
Not sure either, many thought a "replacement" was coming but with the LRHS2 being the same format I just don't see a newer, lighter, shorter scope from Bushnell coming any time soon unfortunately.
Thanks for the offer on the premier, but this needs to not turn into a classifieds post.
Sorry, didn't mean to infer I have one, it is someone else I know about but do not know personally. I thought you were in the market to buy so thought I'd throw that out there.

go shopping for a generator or something that costs $1k
put it in your cart.
delete it from your cart.
you have now saved $1k and can spend that on something else (like the scope you want).
😂

Sorry, didn't mean to infer I have one, it is someone else I know about but do not know personally. I thought you were in the market to buy so thought I'd throw that out there.
No worries, I'm not offended. I'm on thin ice since my first attempt at this suggested I was looking for a certain option and could have easily been interpreted as a "WTB" request, just want to be careful to respect the rules.

Thanks!

Reactions: Glassaholic
Used LHT pop up used <800. Get one and see how you like it. If you don't like it sell it for what you bought it for. I don't think you're going to get everything you want at that price point. I have the pst2 3-15 mentioned above and its a great scope for 600$. It's also a pig and not something I'd want on a walking around gun.

Reactions: godofthunder
The Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 looks good on paper at 24 oz. Probably above your price range though and it seems to be overpriced in general.

Slightly heavier than you spec'd but a solid choice,

FFP - Tick
3ish to at least 10x, prefer 12 or 15 - 4-14
Capped or locking windage - Capped
Reticle for holding wind at a minimum - MOAR Reticle
MOA (I shoot and hunt with a group that all still uses MOA) MOA turrets and MOA reticle
Adjustable parallax preferred - Tick
24 oz or so, lighter is better - Only thing it misses, 30 oz
~$1k $1290 , close enough.

nf1.JPG
NF2.JPG

Aside from the March and Mk6 there isn't anything good. A lot of us having been wanting something more for years.

I have both March F 3-24 and Mk6 3-18 and I prefer the Mk6 in every way except that it's 34mm tube which isn't quite as nice to find mounts for as a 30mm.

Aside from the Athlon Helos, the Sightron S-TAC meets your criteria. The only issue I have is the FOV is a bit wonky; narrow and the image feels far away, I think this is called apparent FOV. Otherwise, the glass is pretty nice and the illumination is very much daylight visible.

https://sightron.com/products/s-tac-ffp-3-16x42-zero-stop

The Primary Arms GLx line hits most of those points. Choices of 2.5-10, 4-16, and 6-24. The heaviest of them being the 6-24 at a out 24oz I think.

They have really good push button locking turrets, parallax, excellent glass, and reticle choices include some variation of ACSS, Mil tree, and I think a Mil dot is an option as well.

I have the 6-24 personally, and have been behind a couple 2.5-10. Ive been extremely impressed at the feature list and durability at the price point.

Theres a 3-18 in the SLx line. Ive owned that scope as well and it worked good too. A little heavier, and in general it just isn't as nice as the GLx line, but its also $200 less expensive

Used LHT pop up used <800. Get one and see how you like it. If you don't like it sell it for what you bought it for. I don't think you're going to get everything you want at that price point. I have the pst2 3-15 mentioned above and its a great scope for 600$. It's also a pig and not something I'd want on a walking around gun.
I've been close to picking up an LHT a couple of times, just can't quite give up on the dream yet 🙂.

The PST is a great scope I'm sure, but it is the same set of downsides for my use as the Athlon I have on that rifle now (big open windage, and even heavier)

Aside from the Athlon Helos, the Sightron S-TAC meets your criteria. The only issue I have is the FOV is a bit wonky; narrow and the image feels far away, I think this is called apparent FOV. Otherwise, the glass is pretty nice and the illumination is very much daylight visible.

https://sightron.com/products/s-tac-ffp-3-16x42-zero-stop
Does that have locking windage turret? I have looked briefly at that, but I didn't see anything that made me think there was any protection for that turret.

I always over look these guys...

Burris Veracity FFP may be a good option...
All the reticles are BDC though.

The PST Gen 2 3-15 is a pretty nice optic but a tad heavy for your requirements.
The PST Gen1 2.5-10x32 is also very nice for a lower power scope, it's a lot lighter than the Gen2 models.

Leupold really should offer an FFP version of the VX5 and VX6, unfortunately Leupold has enough customers that buy their usual garbage to worry about our little niche scope market.

Reactions: Eric1115
All the reticles are BDC though.

The PST Gen 2 3-15 is a pretty nice optic but a tad heavy for your requirements.
The PST Gen1 2.5-10x32 is also very nice for a lower power scope, it's a lot lighter than the Gen2 models.

Leupold really should offer an FFP version of the VX5 and VX6, unfortunately Leupold has enough customers that buy their usual garbage to worry about our little niche scope market.
You get me!

If it added $200 and 3 oz to a VX-5, it would be a $1200 or less street price, 22 oz FFP 3-15. They may not sell a ton of them, but they would have a cult following for sure! I would be on the phone right now getting my credit card out, and I can't imagine I'm the only one.

Slightly heavier than you spec'd but a solid choice,

FFP - Tick
3ish to at least 10x, prefer 12 or 15 - 4-14
Capped or locking windage - Capped
Reticle for holding wind at a minimum - MOAR Reticle
MOA (I shoot and hunt with a group that all still uses MOA) MOA turrets and MOA reticle
Adjustable parallax preferred - Tick
24 oz or so, lighter is better - Only thing it misses, 30 oz
~$1k $1290 , close enough.

View attachment 7669149View attachment 7669150
Oh, I've looked long and hard at those, but just can't get to a point where 30 oz on top of a rifle I go backpack hunting with seems like the right call.

Part of me wants to pretend I didn't see the weight, just harden the f up, and maybe skip a burrito or two.

Reactions: rlsmith1
FFP (Yes)
3ish to at least 10x, prefer 12 or 15 (2-12x)
Capped or locking windage (yes)
Reticle for holding wind at a minimum (yes)
MOA (yes)
Adjustable parallax preferred (10y - ∞)
24 oz or so, lighter is better (22.6 oz)
~$1k ($500)

Thanks!
Looks like the pickings are slim, and the Helos BTR Gen2 checks all of your boxes. Based on my overwhelmingly positive experience with the Ares BTR G1 2.5-15x, I'd absolutely give the $500 Helos 2-12x a try for this application. If it doesn't work out as well as you'd like, you have a decent scope for a rimfire rifle.

If you're really hung up on the premise of buying a $500 scope, I'm sure Trijicon would be happy to see you spend your $1k on their Credo or Credo HX line. They have 2-10x and 3-15x options at around 23oz that should meet most of your criteria - though I'm not familiar with them personally. Those were on my shortlist before I found a smoking deal on the Bushell DMR II (for a different application).

If you're willing to bump your price range a bit the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 at 28oz will check most of your boxes. Deals can be found in the 1600-1800 range.

If you have a hard stop at $1k. I think as has been said above the Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 is a great option. They can be found sub $500 and are only ~19oz.

The Sightron doesn't have locking turrets.

The Burris has a FFP BDC reticle with wind holds marks.

There may be a new Crimson Trace 3-12 FFP in MOA, but it's difficult sorting through their models.

Aside from the Helos, these are the closest options I can think of that come close to your requirements without going used. If you need to stick to the $1k budget, I would go for the Helos.

Here you go, checks all your boxes (apparently, not crystal clear on the locking turret):

Better pic of the reticle:
1626465181820.png

Here you go, checks all your boxes (apparently, not crystal clear on the locking turret):

Better pic of the reticle:
View attachment 7669419
Nice! I had looked at some of the sigs but had not seen that one. If it has the locking turrets and it's reliable that may be a sweet way to go.

Nice! I had looked at some of the sigs but had not seen that one. If it has the locking turrets and it's reliable that may be a sweet way to go.

The tango 4 series has zero stop, but not locking. I haven't been super impressed with the sig scopes personally. They just seem kind of meh to me.

Found another option, the Maven RS1

FFP - check
3ish to at least 10x, prefer 12 or 15 - 2.5-15
Capped or locking windage - capped
Reticle for holding wind at a minimum - check
MOA (I shoot and hunt with a group that all still uses MOA) - check (moa only, so that rules it out for most of you guys)
Adjustable parallax preferred - check
24 oz or so, lighter is better -24.5 oz
~$1k - $1200

Might be a winner!

Found another option, the Maven RS1

FFP - check
3ish to at least 10x, prefer 12 or 15 - 2.5-15
Capped or locking windage - capped
Reticle for holding wind at a minimum - check
MOA (I shoot and hunt with a group that all still uses MOA) - check (moa only, so that rules it out for most of you guys)
Adjustable parallax preferred - check
24 oz or so, lighter is better -24.5 oz
~$1k - $1200

Might be a winner!
Beat me to it!
When will they hurry up and make this in Mils.
It looks like a LOW design, I’d settle for someone else releasing its brother in Mils.

Weaver Tactical 2-10x36 and Trijcon has a 2-10x36 scope based on the same chassis. I have never had the Trijikon but the Weaver is one of my favorite scopes. They are kind of hard to find anymore though.

the weaver 2-10 is a crap design if hunting is something ur after. the reticle completely disappears at low mag unless you run illumination

...just can't get to a point where 30 oz on top of a rifle I go backpack hunting with seems like the right call.

Part of me wants to pretend I didn't see the weight, just harden the f up, and maybe skip a burrito or two.

Don't compromise on your scope. If the weight difference from one scope to the next is that big of a deal than go on a 1 pound diet and don't worry about the scope weight.

My scope manufacturer lists my scope at 29 ounces. I lost 20 pounds and toted around my 12 pound rifle for 30 miles on my last backpack hunt. At some point I'll likely get a different rifle to cut several pounds but my scope can stay the same. I'll still be winning.

I still have a bit of trouble comprehending why you insist on hindering yourself because your friends don't understand mil scopes.
Let's face it, most of the scopes described in the OP are tactical type scopes, those are primarily mil/mil as that's what the vast majority of shooters want.
Of course, he has a weight restriction as well as a funds limit.
When you limit yourself to MOA scopes, you limit your choices.
When you limit yourself to $1,000.00 you limit your choices.
When you limit the weight, you further limit your choices.

I understand the funds limit, I live in that reality as well.
As far as the other two, I can't really understand those.
I also understand the capped/locking turrets on the windage.

This scope has you covered with everything except locking/capped turrets and weight it is only 5 ounces over your goal:

I think your list of wants and price are somewhat incompatible.
A Leupold MK 4 4.5-14 on sale at Midway meets some of your wishes, but is SFP.
To be honest, with a medium power scope like that, SFP isn't a hindrance.

Last edited:
That Arken is listed at 35.6 oz, with a desire for something in the 24 oz range...

Reactions: Eric_F
That Arken is listed at 35.6 oz, with a desire for something in the 24 oz range...
I was thinking 30 oz.
24 OZ for what he is asking for is unobtanium.
The OP needs to set more realistic goals.
Either give up one of the requirements or go without a scope.
All scopes are compromises to some extent, he will either need to compromise on price or features.

I still have a bit of trouble comprehending why you insist on hindering yourself because your friends don't understand mil scopes.
Let's face it, most of the scopes described in the OP are tactical type scopes, those are primarily mil/mil as that's what the vast majority of shooters want.
Of course, he has a weight restriction as well as a funds limit.
When you limit yourself to MOA scopes, you limit your choices.
When you limit yourself to $1,000.00 you limit your choices.
When you limit the weight, you further limit your choices.
I know I'm narrowing the field a bunch with that wish list, and I have every expectation I'm going to have to compromise on something(s), be it weight, cost, or both.
I understand the funds limit, I live in that reality as well.
As far as the other two, I can't really understand those.
We have a group of about 8, we hunt together and shoot together. We spot for each other, and while I do understand that mil corrections are better, asking everyone to either switch or translate because I've decided to start speaking a different language isn't something I am going to do at this point. When a few of us are ready to make the jump I'll switch, but I'm not going to give up clear and efficient communication for the easier system.

We hunt deep, steep country and a lot of guys around here would consider any scope over 20 oz too heavy for a mountain rifle. They are wrong IMO, but saying "only a half lb more for a lot more functionality/durability/whatever other benefit" on a bunch of different pieces of gear can really add up quick. I'm already carrying a heavier tripod than most, and a heavier rifle than most (along with a better IFAK than most and more survival gear than most, etc). While I'm OK having to work a little harder to keep up in the mountains for some better long(ish) range capability, I'm not willing to be the guy that slows his partner down because my pack is 10 lb heavier than it needed to be. If it really needs to be heavier, I'm okay with that.
I also understand the capped/locking turrets on the windage.

This scope has you covered with everything except locking/capped turrets and weight it is only 5 ounces over your goal:
I think your list of wants and price are somewhat incompatible.
A Leupold MK 4 4.5-14 on sale at Midway meets some of your wishes, but is SFP.
To be honest, with a medium power scope like that, SFP isn't a hindrance.
If I dropped the FFP requirement, I can name close to a half dozen good to great options off the top of my head. I've really enjoyed shooting my FFP 2.5-15 I have on that rifle though, as I'm usually around 6-10 power for midrange shots. Wind (holds) matter at 400-600, and I can't keep a magnum hunting weight rifle, even with a brake, on target at 15x well enough to spot impacts at 400-600. Needing specific magnification to have wind holds work is something I would like to avoid.

I do understand that my wish list is odd (maybe unreasonable). I've found through this thread a couple of contenders that I did not know existed, so maybe there are some other weirdos like me out there.

I appreciate your input, please don't take this as argumentative. Just trying to explain my rationale for wanting what I want. Everyone's got a little bit different priorities and at this point in my life these are mine.

I know I'm narrowing the field a bunch with that wish list, and I have every expectation I'm going to have to compromise on something(s), be it weight, cost, or both.

We have a group of about 8, we hunt together and shoot together. We spot for each other, and while I do understand that mil corrections are better, asking everyone to either switch or translate because I've decided to start speaking a different language isn't something I am going to do at this point. When a few of us are ready to make the jump I'll switch, but I'm not going to give up clear and efficient communication for the easier system.

We hunt deep, steep country and a lot of guys around here would consider any scope over 20 oz too heavy for a mountain rifle. They are wrong IMO, but saying "only a half lb more for a lot more functionality/durability/whatever other benefit" on a bunch of different pieces of gear can really add up quick. I'm already carrying a heavier tripod than most, and a heavier rifle than most (along with a better IFAK than most and more survival gear than most, etc). While I'm OK having to work a little harder to keep up in the mountains for some better long(ish) range capability, I'm not willing to be the guy that slows his partner down because my pack is 10 lb heavier than it needed to be. If it really needs to be heavier, I'm okay with that.

If I dropped the FFP requirement, I can name close to a half dozen good to great options off the top of my head. I've really enjoyed shooting my FFP 2.5-15 I have on that rifle though, as I'm usually around 6-10 power for midrange shots. Wind (holds) matter at 400-600, and I can't keep a magnum hunting weight rifle, even with a brake, on target at 15x well enough to spot impacts at 400-600. Needing specific magnification to have wind holds work is something I would like to avoid.

I do understand that my wish list is odd (maybe unreasonable). I've found through this thread a couple of contenders that I did not know existed, so maybe there are some other weirdos like me out there.

I appreciate your input, please don't take this as argumentative. Just trying to explain my rationale for wanting what I want. Everyone's got a little bit different priorities and at this point in my life these are mine.
Viper PST II 3-15 comes closest, they can be had for around 800-900 bucks if you shop carefully, they have an illuminated MOA reticle available but weighs 28 ounces.
1/2 a pound over what you want.
Not bad for a known scope with known capabilities.

I was thinking 30 oz.
24 OZ for what he is asking for is unobtanium.
The OP needs to set more realistic goals.
Either give up one of the requirements or go without a scope.
All scopes are compromises to some extent, he will either need to compromise on price or features.
I mean the now discontinued Bushnell LRHS 3-12 checks all my boxes (within ½ oz). A used LRHS is my leading contender at this point.

The Maven RS1 hits it pretty damn close for just $200 over budget.

The Athlon Helos does it for half the price. (Though with a bunch of question marks attached, and a made in PRC label)

The Burris Veracity is there or very close on everything except the reticle.

It can be done.

I mean the now discontinued Bushnell LRHS 3-12 checks all my boxes (within ½ oz). A used LRHS is my leading contender at this point.

The Maven RS1 hits it pretty damn close for just $200 over budget.

The Athlon Helos does it for half the price. (Though with a bunch of question marks attached, and a made in PRC label)

The Burris Veracity is there or very close on everything except the reticle.

It can be done.
Veracity is very limited on adjustment range. Otherwise they check most boxes.
OP wants to use it to 1000 yards.
Don't know anything about maven scopes, have never seen one or read a review.
As I said, he'll have to comprise somewhere.