• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light-ish Hunting Actions?

What would you get

• Total voters

drew hopkinth

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2020
Building a 280 Ackley, and trying to save a little weight on the action without dropping serious money on a Ti action. It’ll be spending time hunting, shooting NRL hunter matches, and shooting the occasional PRS-style match.

I don’t really mind 60° vs 90° and I’m gonna be feeding from CIP mags. It’s a tricky choice to make without having hands on experience with any of these, so I’d love to hear from people who chose one or more of these actions.

I think your best but not good $$ wise is TI. Steel actions really don't vary much in weight without significant elimination of material.

What is your goal weight? Barrel length? Chamber? Stock/chassis? Scope? Suppressor?

There are a lot of variables and places to save weight. The action isn't always the cheapest place.

Edit- seen your looking at the 280ai. So 7mm bore and can search around for weights on different contour barrels.

Reactions: Secant
What is your goal weight? Barrel length? Chamber? Stock/chassis? Scope? Suppressor?

There are a lot of variables and places to save weight. The action isn't always the cheapest place.

Edit- seen your looking at the 280ai. So 7mm bore and can search around for weights on different contour barrels.
Trying to keep it under 13 lbs w/ can, optic, bipod, etc.

22” Proof Sendero CF barrel, Grayboe Phoenix stock, ZCO 4-20, CGS Hyperion. All of these actions get me to that weight according to my spreadsheet, just trying to see if there is preference or a clear winner amongst them all. One thing to note is that the Kelbly retails for ~$200 less than the others, which would be nice to save a little money somewhere.

If you are going proof, you can save yourself some money by getting a prefit barrel from them. So that might be worth considering since your saving $300-$500.

If you are going proof, you can save yourself some money by getting a prefit barrel from them. So that might be worth considering since you’re saving $300-$500.
There aren’t any proof prefits in 280AI… I’m planning on sending my barrel to LRI and getting it chambered by them

Didn't think about that. LRI does great work. My 2 hunting rifles were built by them.

I have only played with the Lone Peak on your list. It was great, but I'd imagine most of them are. Good luck.

Reactions: drew hopkinth

22” Proof Sendero CF barrel, Grayboe Phoenix stock, ZCO 4-20, CGS Hyperion. All of these actions get me to that weight according to my spreadsheet, just trying to see if there is preference or a clear winner amongst them all. One thing to note is that the Kelbly retails for ~$200 less than the others, which would be nice to save a little money somewhere.
Here you go... This should get you exactly what you're hunting for to end up around 10 lbs or less. 5.7 lbs... Bare rifle weight...

I have the 24" version, and with Berger 175 Elites it shoots under 1/2 MOA @ 100 with handloads. My setup is well under 10 lbs. with the big TBAC Magnus on the end. The Zeiss V4 6-24x50 ZMOAi-T20 scope is only 23 oz. and has exposed turrets (locking windage), and the beefy ARC rings and factory 20MOA rail are rock-solid. If need-be I can weigh the whole rig for you, if you’re curious to know? I know I actually kind of am.

IMG_2235.jpeg

Magnus HUB w/ Otter Creek Labs ZR0-DTA 5/8-24 mount…

IMG_2220.jpeg

Last edited:
Aero is coming out with a lightened version of the Solus action, but if you’re already targeting 13 lbs, which is above the 12 lb open light limit, you won’t need a lightened action.

Reactions: R_A_W

Here’s my 12lb NRLH rifle in a similar config. NBK, 22” Proof 6.5C, LHT 4-22, nomad Ti & Atlas CAL. I’m switching to a 16lb build for next year though.
IMG_3744.jpeg

You should look at a Defiance AnTi and BAT Vesper. If you are willing to go away from the Rem 700 pattern action a BAT Vampire is also worth considering.

If I recall correctly, BAT cuts their raceways tighter/with less clearance. Someone else needs to chime in. There may not be enough dust to cause an issue in the Rockies, but around here the dust would probably cause anything with tight raceways to bind in field matches.

I’m partial to Impact & Lone Peak, but voted LP for this application. I am building a 6.5 PRC on a steel LP Fuzion Alpine Cut, in case I want to get under 12lb in the future. Note that the weight on LP’s website is a few ounces off, someone in the PX recently weighed their .308 SA Fuzion Alpine @ 28oz (not 25oz)

Didn't think about that. LRI does great work. My 2 hunting rifles were built by them.

I have only played with the Lone Peak on your list. It was great, but I'd imagine most of them are. Good luck.
Thanks man, I’ll make sure to post updates as stuff comes in

I am a Defiance fan but now have 4 Nanooks. They are fucking smooth….
Yeah I’ve heard good things from every Nanook owner I’ve talked to - especially with the anti-shear bolt stop instead of the old Atlas one

Here you go... This should get you exactly what you're hunting for to end up around 10 lbs or less. 5.7 lbs... Bare rifle weight...

I have the 24" version, and with Berger 175 Elites it shoots under 1/2 MOA @ 100 with handloads. My setup is well under 10 lbs. with the big TBAC Magnus on the end. The Zeiss V4 6-24x50 ZMOAi-T20 scope is only 23 oz. and has exposed turrets (locking windage), and the beefy ARC rings and factory 20MOA rail are rock-solid. If need-be I can weigh the whole rig for you, if you’re curious to know? I know I actually kind of am.

View attachment 8262261

View attachment 8262263
I’d be down to see how light the whole setup is, thanks man

Reactions: FuhQ
Carbon six offers a 280AI prefit
Yeah I know a few companies have 280AI prefits but it’s quicker for me to just buy a blank and send it in to get chambered, and not too much more expensive. Still within my overall budget

You should look at a Defiance AnTi and BAT Vesper. If you are willing to go away from the Rem 700 pattern action a BAT Vampire is also worth considering.
I’m gonna cap the cost of the action at 1500ish, paying 2k for a Vesper or 1800+ for a Vampire isn’t in the cards. I’d also really like the action to be nitrided so the Anti is out for me

Reactions: Franko
I’m gonna cap the cost of the action at 1500ish, paying 2k for a Vesper or 1800+ for a Vampire isn’t in the cards. I’d also really like the action to be nitrided so the Anti is out for me
You can get any defiance nitrided. I order them from bugholes that way. If they dont come from defiance nitrided as part of the order, and if they dont, dugholes sends it to the very same shop defiance uses. By the way, the classic is a poor mans anti. Having built a handful if anti’s for myself and customers, the classic looks like its got every feature thats important in the anti. Sub $1k too.

Reactions: accloan647

View attachment 8262261

View attachment 8262263

No more @ for Christensen in your posts? I guess that sponsorship request to shill for them didn’t work out? 😂

Reactions: Charger442
No more @ for Christensen in your posts? I guess that sponsorship request to shill for them didn’t work out? 😂
You’ve been extra-grumpy lately… Did the ATF top brass stop letting you blow them, or did they just stop letting you cuddle afterwards? 🤣

You can get any defiance nitrided. I order them from bugholes that way. If they dont come from defiance nitrided as part of the order, and if they dont, dugholes sends it to the very same shop defiance uses. By the way, the classic is a poor mans anti. Having built a handful if anti’s for myself and customers, the classic looks like its got every feature thats important in the anti. Sub $1k too.
Yeah seems like the competitor to an Atlas Lite, but when I can get a Nanook for $1200…

The only thing keeping me from springing for the Nanook is the abundance of prefits for the NBK/737R barrel tenon

Yeah seems like the competitor to an Atlas Lite, but when I can get a Nanook for $1200…

The only thing keeping me from springing for the Nanook is the abundance of prefits for the NBK/737R barrel tenon
The ruckus prefits are likely equally abundant. Im sure the Nanook would be a very good choice too.

Quite happy with my zermatt Ti3. Takes tl3 sr3 prefits. My only desire would for it to be aw cut like the TL3.

I’d be down to see how light the whole setup is, thanks man
Ok, so the rifle rigged up, minus the suppressor is 9 lbs. 4.3 oz.

IMG_4688.jpeg

The Magnus + OCL ZR0-DTA mount is 15.75 oz. Which is only 1/4 oz. shy of 1 pound.

IMG_2220.jpeg

So, total rig weight of a 24” CA Ridgeline .280 Ackley with a Zeiss V4 6-24x50, ARC M-Brace 30mm rings, a CA 20MOA base, with the quietest .30 caliber can currently on the market is roughly 10 lbs. 4 oz. So, under 10.5 lbs total. 👍🏼

I’ve had fantastic success with my impact actions. I would pick one of those because it’s a company/product I trust and know works.

Reactions: jmw
For lighterweight action options, I own a few.
2 @ Defiance AnTi X SA
2 @ Lone Peak Fuzion TI SA
5 @ Kelbly Nanook (4 @ SA, 1 @ LA)

I order of smooth:
Nanook>Fuzion>AnTi X

Kelbly are just phenomenally smooth.
Lone Peak are very smooth.
The AnTi X are smooth, but seem to chatter more than the others.

For lighterweight action options, I own a few.
2 @ Defiance AnTi X SA
2 @ Lone Peak Fuzion TI SA
5 @ Kelbly Nanook (4 @ SA, 1 @ LA)

I order of smooth:
Nanook>Fuzion>AnTi X

Kelbly are just phenomenally smooth.
Lone Peak are very smooth.
The AnTi X are smooth, but seem to chatter more than the others.
Good to know, the Kelbly seems to be what I’m gravitating towards most

Reactions: lancetkenyon