• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Light mid-long range optic.

JeremyV

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2019
So I’ve always built heavy Precision rifle’s 14 to 16lbs But I’m about to try something new.

I’m going to be doing a big 3 Gun match in trooper division where you have to carry all your guns, ammo tools and water for the whole two day match on your person at all times and you can’t use roller bags or baby strollers...

This match has a bunch of bonus targets from starting at about 400 and going out to about 1,000 yards! Your allowed to bring a Precision rifle for these targets and this is my excuses to build a super light rifle.

I’m thinking I want something in the 15x to 18x range for the high end.. a Lot of these targets are in brush and don’t have a great background to spot misss so I need a Little more Magnification then normal

I want MOA cause everything I already own is moa. (Don’t judge me ;)

I want a reticle with some sort of Christmas tree design so I can hold for wind and make fast follow up shots for when I miss my wind call ;) I mean to hold for wind.... who ever misses a wind call these days I have a Kesteral ;)....

So far the mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is on my short list.

looking for other suggestions under 30oz.

Looking to spend around 2k or less if possible.

Reactions: bigwatchpilot
I would say the scope you listed is the best candidate. It’s the one I would get for your application.

If you are happy with SFP then the VX5hd 3-15x44 or VX6hd 3-18x44 would be worth looking at.
Lightweight, nice glass, good FOV and good locking turrets.

Otherwise the Mark 5 with the Impact 60 would be a good choice.

If you would not mind a little more power the Vortex AMG is a very good optic and can be had for under 2K.

I do not recall Mark 5 3.6-18x44 being available with MOA turrets. Or am I wrong?

I'd give Vortex AMG 6-24x50 a close look. It is within your weight range, comes with a MOA tree reticle and can be found for around $2k it seems.

ILya

Reactions: asaavedra
I do not recall Mark 5 3.6-18x44 being available with MOA turrets. Or am I wrong?

I'd give Vortex AMG 6-24x50 a close look. It is within your weight range, comes with a MOA tree reticle and can be found for around $2k it seems.

ILya
Yes, the Mk5 now has the option of the PR-1 MOA reticle & 25 MOA/rev turrets, which is a relatively basic hashed crosshair with a center floating dot.

I would agree that the AMG is worth looking at. The FoV of the AMG @6 is approximately the same as the Mk5 @5. Unless you are planning on shooting a lot at 3.6-5 power, I think the AMG is worth considering. I own a Mk5, but have only looked through an AMG at stores, so take this for what it is.

Edit to include image of PR-1 reticle that I mistakenly referenced
1580240197216.png

Edit#2
Looks like Mk5 is also available with Impact-60 reticle, which includes a tree
1580241571913.png

Sorry for all the confusion.

Last edited:
Yes, the Mk5 now has the option of the PR-1 MOA reticle & 25 MOA/rev turrets, which is a relatively basic hashed crosshair with a center floating dot.

I would agree that the AMG is worth looking at. The FoV of the AMG @6 is approximately the same as the Mk5 @5. Unless you are planning on shooting a lot at 3.6-5 power, I think the AMG is worth considering. I own a Mk5, but have only looked through an AMG at stores, so take this for what it is.

He said he wants a MOA tree reticle, so I do not think PR-1 will work for him.

ILya

Edit to include image of PR-1 reticle that I mistakenly referenced
View attachment 7235882

Edit#2
Looks like Mk5 is also available with Impact-60 reticle, which includes a tree
View attachment 7235895
Sorry for all the confusion.
I was just about to post this with a link

Good point. I forgot about the Impact-60. I played with that reticle in the VX-6HD and while it worked well, I did get lost in the dots occasionally.

ILya
I could definitely see getting lost in those dots. I like the empty space at the intersections..

still can’t decide.
Looked at the Vortex but it’s a bit heavier then the Leupold.

I have the razor gen2 5-27x56 and like it but it’s way too heavy...

ILya
Ilya, how would you compare the mk5 with the nx8 scopes?

Anyone look through one of these yet? Trijicon Tenmile™ 3-18x44

[/QUOTE]
That's a tough call, especially since recent batches of NX8 might be better than what I have seen.

From what I have seen, I like Mark5 a little more overall.

ILya
Who do you think has the better turrets of the 2?

I have a Mark 5 3.6-18 on my lightish weight hunting rifle. I've got about 300 rounds on it so far and I really like it. Turrets feel good. Sometimes I think the distance between clicks is a little fine but that's just me being nit picky. Clarity is really quite good and its very compact and feels good. Magnification ring is nice with the built in lever.

So I pulled the trigger on the LEUPOLD mark5HD 3.6-18 they have a rebate right now till the 15th where you get a free kesteral 5700 with the Hornady software installed couldn’t pass that up. Thanks to everyone who commented.

I got a chance to look through both the 3.6-18 and the 5-25x and for my purpose the lighter one should work just fine. Glass looks pretty good and I like the turrets. Now just another 8 to 10 weeks for my proof barrel to arrive :(

Everyone who depends on the Kestrel as their only source of wind dope and don't know how to read downrange indicators.

That's who

And that's quite a lot of people, from what I've seen.
[/QUOTE

I hope you read the sarcasm in that post...

I believe the Vortex PST Gen II comes in 5-25x50 and has the reticle, in MOA, you’re looking for. My caliber of choice is .300 win mag, but you want something lighter, so a 6.5 is probably best for the occasion. To minimize the weight of the rifle, assuming price is no big issue, I’d recommend a McMillan stock or a MDT LSS chassis. MDT just released a really nice, new, chassis made to fit a Remington 700 short-action rifle. Defiance makes great actions that are Remington 700 footprints. Best of luck and skill in your match.

The AMG is definitely Vortex’s best, but the PST Gen II will get the job done at less than 1/2 the price. The AMG is like a Lamborghini and the PST is like a BMW; both are nice and will get you where you want to go, but one is way nicer than the other.

Who do you think has the better turrets of the 2?
I’ve had both and between my samples the Mark 5 turrets were considerably better than the NX8. If Leupold had a better reticle and didn’t charge $600 for illumination I would choose it over the NX8. The Burris XTR III 3.3-18 is the scope to beat in the sub $2k class IMO. Personally I would wait for illumination but still no word from Burris on when those are coming.

Last edited:
I’ve never been a big fan of illumination. I feel like it’s an unnecessary addition that companies use to get more money out of consumers, but I could be wrong. I’d rather save my money and get a scope without it that works just as well. That’s my opinion. As we all know, most things in precision marksmanship is relative, meaning we all have our own opinions. Nightforce is a very reputable brand, but I prefer the Mark V as well.

Reactions: IanHusaberg
Illumination on a ffp scope is really handy if your in combat or hunting and need to use your scope on low power up close. Crank that thing up as bright as possible and now you can quickly Acquire your crosshairs and get on target.. it is actually much less useful at night. Even using a clip on you can normally get away without it.
I believe the Vortex PST Gen II comes in 5-25x50 and has the reticle, in MOA, you’re looking for. My caliber of choice is .300 win mag, but you want something lighter, so a 6.5 is probably best for the occasion. To minimize the weight of the rifle, assuming price is no big issue, I’d recommend a McMillan stock or a MDT LSS chassis. MDT just released a really nice, new, chassis made to fit a Remington 700 short-action rifle. Defiance makes great actions that are Remington 700 footprints. Best of luck and skill in your match.

Thanks for the reply!

I’m having a rifle built off of a Defiance action 6.5 Creedmoor with a 18” proof carbon barrel in a Tierney Arms AMP stock https://www.precisionrifleparts.org/

I had a Vortex pst gen2 5-25 that I sold to get the LEUPOLD. The glass is definitely a lot better on the LEUPOLD And it’s lighter.

I like how the knobs feel on the mark5 better too.

I’ll be doing some tracking tests next week with the mark5 on my 22lr training rifle and give it a good work over shooting out to 400 yards.

plenty of knob turning for that.
Right now I’m 79moa up from my 100 yard zero ;)

Reactions: EHans34
Well Santa came today in his brown sleigh and dropped off a LEUPOLD mark5HD 3.6-18

Mounted it on my rim fire and took it out and played with it for a bit and think I’m really going to like this scope. Shot out to 400 yards so got a good bit of knob turning in ;) I’ll have to do some more comparisons but in initial observation in the bright daylight it’s not quiet as bright as my vortex razor gen2 5-27x56 however as it got dark things changed. When they were both set on the same power after sunset the LEUPOLD was just as bright as the vortex.
I was not expecting this with the 44mm objective but apparently the glass coatings on this actually do something.

another thing I noticed is the apparent size of objects on the same power levels don’t match up.

On 18x with the mark5 was about the same as 22x on the vortex. I didn’t have enough time before it was completely dark to really compare everything.

Overall I’m really happy with the LEUPOLD I’ll have to make sure it tracks well but as long as it tracks and returns to zero then it’s going to work perfect for my needs.

Really like how the elevation knob works super easy to know right where your at and no adding needed cause the moa markings go from zero to 70 moa.

Reactions: Pointman308
Well Santa came today in his brown sleigh and dropped off a LEUPOLD mark5HD 3.6-18

Mounted it on my rim fire and took it out and played with it for a bit and think I’m really going to like this scope. Shot out to 400 yards so got a good bit of knob turning in ;) I’ll have to do some more comparisons but in initial observation in the bright daylight it’s not quiet as bright as my vortex razor gen2 5-27x56 however as it got dark things changed. When they were both set on the same power after sunset the LEUPOLD was just as bright as the vortex.
I was not expecting this with the 44mm objective but apparently the glass coatings on this actually do something.

another thing I noticed is the apparent size of objects on the same power levels don’t match up.

On 18x with the mark5 was about the same as 22x on the vortex. I didn’t have enough time before it was completely dark to really compare everything.

Overall I’m really happy with the LEUPOLD I’ll have to make sure it tracks well but as long as it tracks and returns to zero then it’s going to work perfect for my needs.

Really like how the elevation knob works super easy to know right where your at and no adding needed cause the moa markings go from zero to 70 moa.
For 22LR how is it doing for close range? On my Mark 5 the side parallax was marked at 75y but could actually go below that, if I remember in my tests it looked more like 50y but for rimfire I'm guessing you'll be even closer than that at times and just curious how well the scope handles those situations.

Are you sure about the size of the objects? Why manufacturer markings are not always accurate on the mag ring, 18x to 22x seems like a much larger difference? Because of the different FOV are you sure your eyes aren't fooling you? If you have another scope to compare to try doing that; however, at the end of the day the 3.6-18 is designed by Leupold to be just that, trust me, you did not get some anomaly that is really 3.6-22x, my guess is the FOV is tricking your eyes to think the object is larger/smaller in one vs. the other.

The Mark 5 has some of my favorite turrets, if they'd get a better mrad tree reticle it would renew interest for me.

For 22LR how is it doing for close range? On my Mark 5 the side parallax was marked at 75y but could actually go below that, if I remember in my tests it looked more like 50y but for rimfire I'm guessing you'll be even closer than that at times and just curious how well the scope handles those situations.

Are you sure about the size of the objects? Why manufacturer markings are not always accurate on the mag ring, 18x to 22x seems like a much larger difference? Because of the different FOV are you sure your eyes aren't fooling you? If you have another scope to compare to try doing that; however, at the end of the day the 3.6-18 is designed by Leupold to be just that, trust me, you did not get some anomaly that is really 3.6-22x, my guess is the FOV is tricking your eyes to think the object is larger/smaller in one vs. the other.

The Mark 5 has some of my favorite turrets, if they'd get a better mrad tree reticle it would renew interest for me.
Yes I’m sure it’s not the field of view. However the field of view is much wider on the vortex even when the objects appear to be the same size.

I’ll try to take some photos tomorrow with my dslr through the scopes and then I can actually overlay the images and compare.

As far as parallax I agree it’s about 50 yards. Maybe a tiny bit less but definitely not 45. I would not recommend this scope for 22lr in less your just playing the long range game. Even then I think there are a lot better choices.

So I’ve always built heavy Precision rifle’s 14 to 16lbs But I’m about to try something new.

I’m going to be doing a big 3 Gun match in trooper division where you have to carry all your guns, ammo tools and water for the whole two day match on your person at all times and you can’t use roller bags or baby strollers...

This match has a bunch of bonus targets from starting at about 400 and going out to about 1,000 yards! Your allowed to bring a Precision rifle for these targets and this is my excuses to build a super light rifle.

I’m thinking I want something in the 15x to 18x range for the high end.. a Lot of these targets are in brush and don’t have a great background to spot misss so I need a Little more Magnification then normal

I want MOA cause everything I already own is moa. (Don’t judge me ;)

I want a reticle with some sort of Christmas tree design so I can hold for wind and make fast follow up shots for when I miss my wind call ;) I mean to hold for wind.... who ever misses a wind call these days I have a Kesteral ;)....

So far the mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is on my short list.

looking for other suggestions under 30oz.

Looking to spend around 2k or less if possible.
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 with MOA EBR 2c reticle. 28 ounces.