• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Light or no light

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
I'm picking up a new 1911 next week and am trying to decide whether or not to get the one with or without the rail for a light. Some say they'll never buy a handgun again without the ability to put on a light. I have lots of handguns, some with rails but have never had to (thankfully) use it at night with the light. I get that it's a plus but for edc, especially during the day, I don't see the need for a light. Would you get the gun with the rail, just to have the option, or do you prefer a gun without a rail?
Help me decide.

for edc only i think you would be better served simply having a hand held light so you can identify a possible threat without having to point your barrel at them. It's always nice to have options though so i'd personally get the rail, but you're not losing much if you dont have it in my opinion

Last edited:
The ability to put a light on it is great. That said, with 1911s the problem goes back to the holster - even without the light mounted. If you picky (like leather IWB holsters) it is going to be a battle to find something you really like. If you are OK with Kydex you will have no issues.

Last edited:
is this a gun you plan to carry or to pull night stand duty? you havent really indicated a use for the gun.

for me, the night stand gun is the only one that needs to have a light. i never really find myself in a position were i would need a light outside of my own home. Most of where I go is well lit even at night and if not i find the ambient light at night enough at the distances at which a threat would likely present itself. This is a decision i made assessing my routine and the places that I go. If I were in a profession were it was my business to poke around dark indoor rooms at night unfamiliar to me, my opinion about lights might be profoundly different. I prefer a hand held light myself even within the house and I think any responsible gun owner should have some kind of light hand held or otherwise in their own home. if this is the first gun you are placing into either of those roles, get the rail as you seem to still be developing your own preferences. It is easier to keep a light off of a gun with a rail than put a light on a gun without a rail(it is doable but not ideal). If you try the light on the pistol and decide it is not for you than in the future know that a light rail is not something you need.

if it is only a range gun than buy the one that is cheaper/better looking/insert whatever other criteria you place importance upon.

If you intend on having it for defensive purposes, get the railed model. You never know when you will want to mount the light up. Just because a rail is there doesn't mean something has to be mounted on it. The only times my lights are mounted is bedside and in the field in an OWB holster on my hip as I like to camp in cougar country. Not that I'll hear them sneaky bastards to light them up until it's too late anyhow, but it makes my girl feel better...

If it's strictly a range gun, then you can go without.

You said edc... get the rail. During a power outage everything is a threat until identified. You may never use it, but it's there if you want to add to it. It'll also help with resale when you realize you should have gotten something besides a 1911. Just joking guys!

Get the rail, mag changes suck with a surefire in your hand. You aren't loosing anything by going with it, but you are by leaving it off. If you go to sell it, not having it might turn off some would be buyers.

Kinda seem like a no-brainer. If you can get the exact same gun with or without a rail, why wouldn't you get the rail? It kinda involves the same logic as carrying a firearm for self-defense or owning a fire extinguisher; It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have always had a light on guns which may be used for self defense. Better to have and not need...

for edc only i think you would be better served simply having a hand held light so you can identify a possible threat without having to point your barrel at them. It's always nice to have options though so i'd personally get the rail, but you're not losing much if you dont have it in my opinion

Agreed. I personally don't carry a 1911 so the light rail is really no big deal to me. The 1911 isn't my personal choice for a defensive pistol/carry pistol/nightstand gun etc. My nightstand gun always has a light and high capacity. I currently carry a G19 or a MP shield for my CC pistols. I carry a small SureFire and as stated above I don't want to have to pull out my gun to utilize the light. I use the light all the time for random stuff. If you're planning on utilizing the pistol as a duty gun etc I could see the need for a light rail.

I think, when buying a 1911, the builder is the most important question. I like having a rail on mine, but I think the 1911 is more aesthetically pleasing without. For defensive purposes, having an X300 on my 1911 is great. If you plan on using it for home defense at night, the rail is the winner. For EDC, I say go non rail. Or just buy two! What kind of 1911 are you looking to buy?

Get the rail so that you have the option. I'm a big advocate of having lights on all of my weapons where practical.

personally, i'd go railed. that's what i did with my latest 1911 purchase. i came up with a list of requirements then found the gun(s) that matched the criteria.

my requirements:
1- aluminum frame
2- accessory rail
3- commander length
4- REPUTABLE MANUFACTURER
5- Night Sights

that came out to a very short list: SIG and Kimber make commander size 1911s with rails, but they are steel framed. Springfield Armory was the only option

i bought (back in Feb) a SA Lightweight Champion Operator, and haven't looked back!

i have since upgraded a few parts: Nighthawk One-Piece mainspring/magwell. 10-8 flat trigger, removal of ambisafety, VZ Operator II grips, Wilson Combat Bulletproof sear, hammer, disconnector, extractor, and a serious trigger job. the trigger is at 4lbs 3oz, with nearly no creep and an almost unmeasureable overtravel. and yes, i've done all the work myself.

the list of things left to do are relatively short: checker front strap, countersink the takedown pin, serrate the top of the slide, and then refinish at RoBar with NP3+

after the upgrades i've already performed, it's around $1,200. not horrible for a 1911, and not nearing the Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom prices for a comparably equipped semi-custom gun

Attachments

• IMG_9899.jpg
    IMG_9899.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Think I'm going with a non railed Baer or Nighthawk, (probably the Baer) I have a railed Volkmann (custom) but hadn't given the rail any thought. Thanks for the replies and opinions,

My only night experience comes from having shot the Crimson Trace Midnight 3-gun match the last three years in a row. I am a total believer in light-laser combos for the pistol now. The light alone provides enough splash to see the sights, but the combo is wicked inside about 20 yards. I've now got my CMR205 on a gun in the safe all year long. Prior to shooting the matches, I wasn't even a believer in lasers. Just based on competition experience, I definitely suggest a railed pistol.

I recently took Roger Philips 4 day FOF night handgun class. Its a deadly skill set. If an encounter is going to happen to me, then now I want it to happen at night. Darkness is my friend. A push button handheld is the way to go. We were taught a cool technique for mag changes with a surefire in the hand. Really easy. A light on your handgun tells the bad guy exactly where to aim. But dont take my word for it. Take a FOF night class where people are actually shooting at you to find out what works and what will get you killed. FOF proves it.