• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Light primer strikes R700 223 AI, J lock?

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
I just got my rifle back from the smith.
I loaded up 50 fireforming loads with Lapua brass, CCI BR4's and H-335& Benchmark.
I had several rounds that required 2-3 strikes to ignite the primer.
Could the J lock cause this?
What else might cause it?
I'm hoping it's not the primers as I have several thousand.

Re: Light primer strikes R700 223 AI, J lock?

what all did the smith do?
were you getting light strikes before it left you?

The gun was purchased for the action only at a local shop and shipped to the smith.
Trued and rebarreled.

Any trigger work? lighten the pull weight? did the smith not proof it before it left him? are you using factory ammo?

I would suggest replacing the firing pin assembly with a non "J" lock unit. I have used several from Gre-Tan and Tubb with good success. If you still have light strikes after changing the pin, you know that there is something else going on. Its a reasonably inexpensive way to start troubleshooting your rifle.

Let us know how it works out?

The key lock assembly is a bit different than the original assembly in that the firing pin has been machined smaller allowing the spring to deform in a way that the spring can now rub on the bore of the bolt.
This can cause a delay(added friction) in the forward motion when fired offering a redused impact to the primer.

I have also found the cocking piece rubing on the sear uppon firing. It was fixed by removing a small amount of material from the bottom of the cocking piece.

As said, it would be best to install one of the after market assemblies that have been engineered to inhance lock time and impact to improve fire control.

Another check to consider is to measure the pin fall, .250 to .275 is a good place to be.

Did you ream out the primer pockets and set the primers too deep?
Wouldnt think so with L brass but it could be a possibility.
Ive had that problem before...primer strikes were light strikes.

Traditionally Ackly Improved chambers are .003/.004 short for a crush fit to ensure positive headspace when fireforming. If your brass is shorter then your smiths headspace gage that can cause light strikes

I removed one of the rounds that required a second strike to look at the primer and its shoulder looked different than the loaded ammo.
I think the firing pin is binding.
I was going to replace the j-lock shroud and pin anyway so I went ahead and ordered the Gre-Tan kit from Brownells.

My post , albeit unclear, was referring to a loaded cartridge that did not go off.

Now it is clearer. The properly headspaced AI chamber should start to set the neck/shoulder junction back as the bolt is closed. From your post it sounds as if this is the case with your rifle. I would follow your choice of replacing the firing pin assembly.

Well...the improved shoulder is different from factory brass on purpose. And you may need to seat the bullets out to contact the lands to fireform the first cases if you have the problem MLC describes.

The Gre-Tan kit arrived today.
I'm going to try the same OAL first and see if that was the issue.

I sent 50 rounds downrange today without issue.