• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

light primer strikes rem 700

BARichardson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2013
L.V.N.V.
Hey guys I got some issues with light primer strikes and not firing. (Ill have to reset bolt 2-3 times to get it to fire)

Note: The ammo I use when this goes on is like bulk military ammo in a 550 round can but its labeled "7.62/308 MATCH SNIPER" on the boxes inside. The head stamps are ''SME 7.62 1-08"

I know it sounds like cheep battle pack stuff but its not! Bullets are set out further than speck .308 ammo and this stuff is .75 or better in every .308 I own. No BS!

The rifle it only messes up in is a rem 700P with a tim. trigger and about 2000 rounds down the range.

The rifles I have tried it in tikka T3 lite, Remington XCR, Savage, and a stiller action rifle all with no issues!

Hey guys I got some issues with light primer strikes and not firing. (Ill have to reset bolt 2-3 times to get it to fire)

Note: The ammo I use when this goes on is like bulk military ammo in a 550 round can but its labeled "7.62/308 MATCH SNIPER" on the boxes inside. The head stamps are ''SME 7.62 1-08"

I know it sounds like cheep battle pack stuff but its not! Bullets are set out further than speck .308 ammo and this stuff is .75 or better in every .308 I own. No BS!

The rifle it only messes up in is a rem 700P with a tim. trigger and about 2000 rounds down the range.

The rifles I have tried it in tikka T3 lite, Remington XCR, Savage, and a stiller action rifle all with no issues!

You say you have a Timney trigger. Standard 510 or 510U? The reason I ask is many times the 510 does not allow enough firing pin fall. Less energy transferred to the primer. The 510U increases firing pin fall. I would do as suggested and get a heavier spring.

Just for the hell of it try seating the primers a little deeper on a few. This may sensitize them. It sounds like you're driving the primer deeper into the case with repeated attempts.

Dave

How would I know between the 2? I bought the trigger years ago and have no way I would/could remember that!

Look at the engagement point on the top lever of the trigger. If it's the 510U it will almost be vertical very near the rear pin. The standard 510 contact point will be further forward away from rear pin. Very much like a standard 700 trigger.

I had this exact same problem with a Remington 700 243 varmint. I replaced the xmark trigger with a Timney and it would fire my reloads intermittently. I thought it was my reloads so I pulled a bunch of bullets, switched primer lots, carefully reseated the primers... still failures. Long story short, I called timney and they sent me the 510U sear they said was for the Defiance actions but low and behold it corrected the problem. It fired the rounds that failed to fire with the first sear, so that was definitely the problem.

Timney was good about it and mailed the replacement sear out to me the next day for free. Give them a call.

I had this exact same problem with a Remington 700 243 varmint. I replaced the xmark trigger with a Timney and it would fire my reloads intermittently. I thought it was my reloads so I pulled a bunch of bullets, switched primer lots, carefully reseated the primers... still failures. Long story short, I called timney and they sent me the 510U sear they said was for the Defiance actions but low and behold it corrected the problem. It fired the rounds that failed to fire with the first sear, so that was definitely the problem.

Timney was good about it and mailed the replacement sear out to me the next day for free. Give them a call.

This, I had the same issue with several Southwest Ammo loads and the new sear was the ticket.

I am experiencing the same issue on my customized Remy 700, action built by Long Rifle Inc.
I installed a Timney 510 and I'm getting about 5 rounds out of 50 that won't fire but does have light primer strikes.

I am in the process of contacting Timney and waiting to see their response.

Timney sent we a new sear but I also put in a new firing pin spring haven't had a misfire since. It would only set of federal primers before no win.