• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Light primer strikes with Timney 3lb AR trigger

Stalpeth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2012
Metropolis, IL
Not sure what is going on but have only ran about 300rnd's through the gun since I installed the trigger and have been getting light primer strikes and rounds are not going off. I have tried about 3 different types of factory ammo and all the same result. Never had this problem before I installed the Timney just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. The hammer is very easy to set by hand compared to my dad's which has the same trigger in it I think the hammer spring is just to weak but just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks.

The Timney AR-15 triggers are known to have SOME issues, especially in the lighter 3lb configurations, with mil-spec primers which generally have thicker/harder primer cups than some commercial primers. That may be the issue depending on what ammo you were running.

If that's the issue, give Timney a call, tell them the trouble you are having, and them to upgrade your 3lb AR-15 trigger to their heavier, AR-10 Timney hammer spring. That should do the trick. It'll cost you the S&H to/from Timney, but unless they have changes their policy, the spring upgrade is at no charge.

ETA: Also, if you have not done so yet...disassemble your carrier and make sure that the firing pin/channel are both clean and free from any burrs, crud, debris, etc. that might be causing intermittent light strikes.

Last edited:
Not sure what is going on but have only ran about 300rnd's through the gun since I installed the trigger and have been getting light primer strikes and rounds are not going off. I have tried about 3 different types of factory ammo and all the same result. Never had this problem before I installed the Timney just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. The hammer is very easy to set by hand compared to my dad's which has the same trigger in it I think the hammer spring is just to weak but just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks.
Has this issue been addressed? I am having issues with light strikes in a blackout using Timney's 3lb AR competition trigger.

Just an idea. Have you considered keeping the stiffer, mil-spec hammer spring and pairing it with the 3lb trigger spring? It'll probably add a little bit of resistance back into the trigger, but not much. Most often the culprit for light strikes are NATO or magnum primer cups being too thick for some softer aftermarket hammer springs to exert enough force for ignition.

Last edited:
Timney has just sent me a heavier hammer spring trigger. Has anyone ever replaced there's in these cassette style triggers? Just wanted some advice before the punch and hammer comes out.

Timney has just sent me a heavier hammer spring trigger. Has anyone ever replaced there's in these cassette style triggers? Just wanted some advice before the punch and hammer comes out.
Hey!! I am having the same issue but waiting on Timney to get back to me to see if they can send me a heavier spring......... how did your install of the new spring go?

Hey!! I am having the same issue but waiting on Timney to get back to me to see if they can send me a heavier spring......... how did your install of the new spring go?
Issue fixed. Once you get the heavier spring you just carefully release the hammer to it's forward position. Use a pen to push the black collar/bushing out of the trigger housing to remove hammer and hammer spring. Reverse to install. Just make sure to take a picture of the hammer spring's orientation before replacing it.