• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light primer strikes

ashland

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
MS
Recently I noticed how light the strike my firing pin has been making on the primers on the rounds I reload. The dent is shallow on the primer. There haven't been any misfires but wanted to see if anyone else experiences this. I used to shoot BR and try to crush the primer is to have a consistant seating depth. The firing pin is a Tubb Speedlock on a Mod 70. Should I adjust the firing pin to hit the primer harder and if so, any info on how to adjust this would help.

Thanks

Re: Light primer strikes

the indent on a fired primer is absolutely meaningless in measuring striker energy.
Done properly it is done by a copper holder and a copper and the indent measured that way with a bench inspection gage.
You could have crud in your striker channel that is not letting the striker nose protrude through the bolt face. Normally a striker protrudes about .030" on a bolt gun.
Check and see how far the striker protrudes through bolt face.

If this does not occur with factory ammo, maybe you're setting the shoulder back too far. Resoizing dies should be adjusted so the case is slightly snug in the chamber, causing a slight, but noticeable bolt drag when closng.

Greg

Thanks guys. I'll try some factory ammo and see if the strikes are the same.

What type of trigger assembly are you using?

I had the same light firing pin strike issue a while back with a Timney trigger because the sear position on the Timney is farther forward than where the factory one is and it decreases the pin fall by about .085". I re-installed the factory trigger and the problem was resolved. A Jewell was by far a better choice with absolutely no issues.

Got a Jewell trigger on it. I think the firing pin is moving because the safety won't engage. After I had the Tubb firing pin installed the safety worked fine but it doesn't work now.

the cocking cam head piece may be slipping. sounds like the Tubb striker has let go and allowing the striker to go forward.
If you are comfortable with taking it down take it to somebody you trust.

Just wondering, why did you change out the 70 stiker for a lighter striker?

Sorry for the late reply. The cocking piece wouldn't engage correctly when the Jewell was installed. I've put alot of rounds through it and attribute it to that. I'm gonna take it to a smith soon to have him look at it. Thanks for all replys.