• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light strikes S&W 15-22

Mythbuster

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2021
Columbia kentucky
My 15-22 sometimes has a problem with light strikes. The dirtier the rifle gets the worse the problem gets. The hammer spring seems fine. It about the same power as my .5.56 ARs. The bolt seems to be going all the way into battery as it should. The firing pin appears to be the correct length. The only thing I see that might be wrong is the firing pin spring seems to be much stronger than it needs to be. Thinking of cutting it a bit or replacing it. Anyone else have this problem?

My 15-22 sometimes has a problem with light strikes. The dirtier the rifle gets the worse the problem gets. The hammer spring seems fine. It about the same power as my .5.56 ARs. The bolt seems to be going all the way into battery as it should. The firing pin appears to be the correct length. The only thing I see that might be wrong is the firing pin spring seems to be much stronger than it needs to be. Thinking of cutting it a bit or replacing it. Anyone else have this problem?
Are you sure it's not ammo dependent? Make sure you clean your bolt very well, especially the firing pin channel, lube and try again. I have had mine for several years over 20K rounds, no issues with the stock trigger and JP yellow competition springs. Historically the other issue causing light strikes is loose barrel nuts, when I and several of my buddies got ours for 22 carbine matches about half had issues. We all chipped in to buy the barrel nut wrench and found about half of the groups were loose, I mean not torqued at all, you couldn't tell on several until you actually got the wrench on it. Tacticool22 sells the wrench for about $20.

Check for a broken firing pin.

All my light strikes were caused by this.

I replaced it with a TK Firestarter because Smith is a pain to deal with.

Cut some of my firing pin spring. Made a huge difference in how hard the firing pin hits the case. I can see a huge difference in the fired cases before and after. Not had time for a lot of shooting but I might tomorrow. I think I fixed the problem.

The firing pin spring on this rifle was very strong. Much stronger than it needed to be. Not sure why they would put such a heavy spring in there

The firing pin spring on this rifle was very strong. Much stronger than it needed to be. Not sure why they would put such a heavy spring in there

Preventing slam fires from the firing pin moving as the bolt goes into battery.

I understand the need for a spring but not one that strong. Centerfire AR 15 rifles do not have a firing pin spring or a few other military rifles. And a centerfire is more likely to slamfire than any rimfire The firing pin spring in MY gun was way too strong. May not be too strong in all the other ones made. Today I shot about 350 rounds without a missfire. My rifle is fixed

Last edited:
The reason for a firing pin spring in the 15-22 is when the bolt slams forward and picks up a round from the mag the round slides under the extractor. Sort of a controlled feed. If there was no firing pin spring the firing pin could remain forward preventing the round from sliding up into the proper position.