• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light suggestions for a 14.5 GP Carbine

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
Hello all,

I'm doing a general purpose build and considering going a different-than-usual direction with the light. Normally, I've always mounted the light at the 12 o'clock position in order to achieve ambidextrous manipulation AND to mitigate the light banging on a corner or being blocked by corner when pieing.

However, with the Surefire direct-to-MLOK mounts they have now, I'm looking at either the Dual Fuel or one of the mini scout lights (the basic or the turbo).

It seems like if using a C-clamp grip, I can reach either side where the tail cap would be to actuate it (or I might opt for a tape switch, but would prefer to use just the tail cap).

Anyone have any experiences with one or more of these lights?

The pros/cons I'm looking at are light performance and battery life vs. size/weight at the front of the rifle (and anything else I may have failed to consider).

Thanks.

I am running the turbos now and will not go back. Plenty of spill and good throw. It's worth it to me.
Curious: go back to what? Did you switch just for the light's performance, or were there logistical considerations as well?

Do you run a tape switch or just the tail cap?

Thanks for chiming in! (y)

Sorry I wasn't more specific. I will not run a regular non high candela light going forward. The pros outweigh the cons for me. The light punches through smoke and dust better and has much better overall performance for my needs. When I started shooting more in low light it made a big difference with the new lights.

I just run the tail cap on the left hand side of my rail at 10:00. I settled on that type of set up a long time ago since I have no IR/LAM or NVG that needs the extra space on the rail. The tail click switches seem to be 100% most of the time. The tape switches can fail like anything else.

The surefire pro DF are nice, the mount flexibility helps, the turbo or non turbo both do well, for the reasons above you may want the turbo.

I'm currently running a 340, going to a 640 to get out past the can so the light is less obscured. That way my left side switch position stays consistent.

Sorry I wasn't more specific. I will not run a regular non high candela light going forward. The pros outweigh the cons for me. The light punches through smoke and dust better and has much better overall performance for my needs. When I started shooting more in low light it made a big difference with the new lights.

I just run the tail cap on the left hand side of my rail at 10:00. I settled on that type of set up a long time ago since I have no IR/LAM or NVG that needs the extra space on the rail. The tail click switches seem to be 100% most of the time. The tape switches can fail like anything else.
Right on. I've always wondered about the reliability of the tape switches, but have never actually put one into service (I wasn't cool enough to get an issued light in the military, and never bought one since my primary was a crew served).

The smoke and dust thing isn't something I think about much, but you mentioning it adds another item to my criteria check list. Thank you. (y)

When I’m operating so hard, and needing to light up the trenches in the bush, operationally speaking, this setup has never failed me
IMG_6444.jpeg

The surefire pro DF are nice, the mount flexibility helps, the turbo or non turbo both do well, for the reasons above you may want the turbo.

I'm currently running a 340, going to a 640 to get out past the can so the light is less obscured. That way my left side switch position stays consistent.
Thanks for the input. (y)

Are you able to operate it with either hand using your current set up?

Thanks for the input. (y)

Are you able to operate it with either hand using your current set up?

Yes. With my left hand on the rail I have to come off my normal grip slightly to activate. But I want that so I deliberately have to activate it. Right hand is a slight rotation left to activate.

BCM rail for grip diameter.

Reactions: simonp and Naaman
Everyone loves the modlight plhv2, but I prefer the cloud defensive rein. I don't love the cloud switches, but I prefer the performance of the head.

Reactions: Naaman