• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

"Light Tactical Rifle" project finnished up......

7mmRM

Minuteman
Jul 2, 2004
Celestine, Indiana
I got this bbled action in a trade. It had been setback & rechambered, shortened to 20" and threaded, by LOSOK. Thought it would make for a nice "light" rifle.

Thought the B&C Light tactical stock would be a great stock to use for this project. A bud has one, and I really like it. So I get one.

Getting the it up an running was a bit of a PITA. After a dry fit, it was VERY obvious that it would have be bedded. No big deal, I like to bed everything.

I bedded it.... Popped it out looked perfect! I was thinking "Damn Im getting pretty good at this....." Till I looked at the bottom metal inlet.... These stocks have a aluminum bedding block, I was under the assumption that the block went all the way to the bottom metal inlet. It doesnt..... They use a pillar that is either press fit in or glued in. Not sure which. At any rate my taped up headless studs apparently and unbeknownst to me pushed the pillar down about .25" SONOFABITCH!!!! I punched the pillar back into place and as expected fucked my bed job up... Dremel time, and rebed... Turned out just as nice as the first time, and pillar was in correct place. Great.

Next, I took the trigger apart, clean it up and tuned it to a nice 2.5LBS.

Reassembled the rifle this morning. Inserted the bolt and went to cycle it. It wouldnt close completely.... WTF now??? Upon closer inspection, the bolt handle was hitting the stock. A little more dremel time fixes that. Now its finnished.

At the moment its sporting a EGW 15MOA base. Ill be replaceing it with a Seekins or Badger 20MOA base. Tossed on a NXS 3.5-15x50 R1 in Badger rings. Need to decide what glass Im gonna gonna run permanently. I largely hate muzzle breaks, so it remains to be seen it the Badger FTE will stay on the rifle.

IMO, its a pretty sharp little rig. Its ALOT lighter than all my M40A3ish rifles. Wish I would have had it finnished a few weeks ago when I was Elk hunting. It would have been a welcomed relief. Humping a 15lb rifle up and down mountains makes for a good workout, but isnt much fun!

100_1933.jpg

100_1934.jpg

Re: "Light Tactical Rifle" project finnished up......

I bet it's still at least 12 pounds the way it sits.

Nice looking little rig. Kinda similar to my 308.

If you have a pre-zeroed smaller scope in alloy rings to bolt on, it can shave a pound or so off the package real quick when desired.

Mine changes personality a lot when I take off the big scope and bolt on the 2.5-8x36 M1, in alloy rings. That scope/ring combo only weights about 16 oz. The MK4 in steel Badger rings weighs about 28 oz.

Lookin good!

So is this rifle coming out west for a antelope hunt?

MM,

Thanks! Im thinking a MK4 3.5-10 in Seekins hardware.

I dont know what it weighs in now, but it sure feels a ton lighter than my M40A3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookin good!

So is this rifle coming out west for a antelope hunt? </div></div>

Who knows! The 7mm08 would likely get the nod.

Interesting choice of muzzle brakes on a light build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting choice of muzzle brakes on a light build. </div></div>

It was on it when I got the bbled action. My choice would be no muzzle break....

Looking good. a smaller scope would help drop weight.

Scott

I have a Remmy 5R with a 20" barrel + Badger Thruster and 3.5-15 Nightforce that weighs exactly 10lbs without the bipod. Shoots fantastic with 175 grain BH and 168 grain Federal, but I may sell it because I don't like the stock or the Remington chamber.

I have a customized LTR on the way. It is supposed be 10lbs all up in a Manners T2 (60/40 CF/Glass) with a MKIV in BO rings.

The little nugget is a fucking shooter! Had about 20min to hit the range for a brief zero job. Little bastard went nuts over a load I had left over from a previous rifle. Didnt measure it, but I was impressed as was the other fellow at the range... Got a feelin this little shit is gonna be wicked.........

I like the little ones...

My 700 in .308, 20-inch, NF 2.5-10... need to weigh it Monday.

5-23-09-handcamera015.jpg

I like it.. The NF 2.5-10x32 would be the ticket for this rig. How are you liking yours?

I LOVE it, Brother! I'm sending it back for mil-mil and zero-stops after deer season. It has mil-dot reticle with moa-moa right now, and I want it to match my NF F1.

Saw the gun of the week article over at 6mmBR.com a few minutes ago.

This guy had the vision and built a 10lb tactical rifle you must see to believe, his goals were F-Class competition and hunting. Some great ideas and lots of documentation:

http://www.6mmbr.com/reloder17.html

McMillan A3, Surgeon short-action, Krieger #5 varmint contour, leupold 6.5-20 40mm, and Badger Ord/AI detach mag system are the hallmarks. Plus did this in .284win.

Think this rifle in .30/284 or even .338/284 would be THE TICKET

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rat-30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I like the little ones...

My 700 in .308, 20-inch, NF 2.5-10... need to weigh it Monday.

5-23-09-handcamera015.jpg
</div></div>

Weighs 11.25 pounds as pictured, with 10 rounds ammo in the stock pack.

nice stick. which kifaru pack is that rat

That is a Kirafu Claymore pouch attached to an ATS RAID pack. Great combination.