• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Light weight shooting glove recommendations

pbatesaz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
Phoenix, AZ and Cimarron, CO
I am thinking about some light weight gloves for use in cold, but not extreme weather, not in the rain (too lazy for that). I used to fly open cockpit with some Air Force nomex gloves that might do the trick. Wish I could remember where I put them... haven’t flown for 20 years now. I could get some off Amazon or maybe at the PX. This would be mostly for target/ steel shooting and maybe occasional coyote hunts in the winter. My triggers are set light, 1 lb for the target rifle and 2 lbs for the hunting rifle, so don’t want anything very thick or heavy. I could look for driving gloves too, but wondered if anyone might have another great suggestion I should check out. Thank you folks.

I get thin leather ones from Ace Hardware.
Not as durable as the thick ones but much better tactile sense.

Motorcross/bmx bike gloves work great and ive also had great success with mechanix gloves. The thinner "feel" ones.

I also put a vertical slit in the tip of the finger so when you bend your finger, the slit opens and your finger makes contact with the trigger. I learned fast chopping the tip of finger off allows the threads to unravel.

GL
DT

Not sure what you consider cold but the PIG Delta Gloves are thin enough for running any weapon system (Pistol, Carbine, or Long Gun) and have excellent grip and dexterity. If you're just sitting in a stand/hide/blind and in the cold wind, you can keep them on and slip into a thicker cold weather glove if needed.

Bob Allen used to make some cloth thin gloves that were very popular with shotgun shooters. Can't say how they are now, but when I was doing a lot of trap shooting I loved them. They might be too cool for colder/windy weather, I think they used to have a mesh back.

They did make a insulated version with a leather palm but I never liked them cause they were too thick to shoot with.

Shoot year round in colorado mountains in the summer I use
Or

In the winter I upsize one size and I add a ultra light merino liner underneath. I carry wool wood chopper mitts or down mitts to put on over the gloves between strings of fire.

This has worked well for threegun, pistol and prescision matches year round. I use the same layering system for winter coyote and general hiking/snowshoeing. It’s served me well to -20f. It served me well on a night pistol comp Dec 21st -2 with windchill at -20.

Reactions: pbatesaz
Shoot year round in colorado mountains in the summer I use

In the winter I upsize one size and I add a ultra light merino liner underneath. I carry wool wood chopper mitts or down mitts to put on over the gloves between strings of fire.

This has worked well for threegun, pistol and prescision matches year round. I use the same layering system for winter coyote and general hiking/snowshoeing. It’s served me well to -20f. It served me well on a night pistol comp Dec 21st -2 with windchill at -20.
That looks like what I’m after. Thanks!

I keep a pair of mechanics wear insulated in my jeep for when it's a little chilly.
They aren't bulky and don't have any of the rubber impact guards on them, just basic light weight with a little insluation.

I chop the trigger finger tip off mechanix (fast fit, I think? the ones with elasticized wrists). In the winter I wear thin Swany glove liners that are some kind of thin fleece.

PIG
i like the full dexterity model (alpha). they last pretty well for me, but i'm not toting steel targets around often.
these aren't the lightest, but they have decent protection, not just against the cold.

fwiw, i recommend training with gloves (all firearms) to all my friends even if you live where it is never cold enough to need them.
in a SHTF situation, or even a natural disaster of some kind, it is very important to protect your hands.
you don't want to deal with a hand injury when you are struggling to fight or survive.

Last edited:
Mechanix gloves from your local auto store....the thinner ones work well...you can also slit the index finger for optimal trigger dexterity.

Big fan of the PIG gloves that are referenced above. I wore mechanix religiously for years and finally gave the PIGs a chance.

FWIW. Mechanix Specialty 0.5 Coyote Tactical Shooting Glove has great fit and feel. The negative for me was the fabric around the thumb nail is single layer and wears through pretty fast. It is not layered like other fingers. I also burned through the thumb nail area of the left hand when shooting a wheel gun.

I also give a vote for the PIG Gloves...mainly because they are the only gloves I have where I can keep them on and still use my touchscreen devices reliably.

These. I have worn out a bunch of them over the years. They have the grip in the correct places and absent where you don't need it.
Approved for use with most SOF teams. Touch-screen friendly.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 1.00.18 PM.png

Last edited:
Vertx Shooter glove isn't bad. It is super lightweight. I have had a couple pairs and most have held up fine. I did get one pair though that the stitching tore out pretty fast, I don't know if it was a bad pair or what.. The others that I have still are holding up though.

I wear some glacier gloves at work in the winter that are waterproof. They are a really thin neoprene. Not sure that's what you are looking for but its about the only thing I've found that is waterproof without losing dexterity.