• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lighter bullets in 300-PRC

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I thought I'd start a thread on this, to get perspective and weigh it (no pun intended) against some recent testing I've done.

I realize that 300-PRC was designed to be optimized around 220-225gr projectiles, and I've been getting generally good results with those weights. BUT ... on a hunch, I decided to do a little load work on Berger Hybrid 200.20x bullets since I've got a gazillion of them, and Berger 220's are hard to find right now. The results surprised me, in that they delivered a super consistent ladder test and some nice velocities ... with some caveats:

1616084467271.png

The caveat is that that I started seeing mild pressure signs at 83.5gr (heavier bolt) and visible pressure signs at 86.0gr (ejector swipe). That said, I knew I was loading on the high end and I really "wanted" to find the start of pressure signs ... Mission Accomplished.

My next range trip is a ladder test from 79.0 to 83.0 in .2 increments, with the objective of finding a good velocity node around 3,000fps (if possible). Testing is with the 300-PRC barrel on my Barrett MRAD, Accurate MagPro powder, Federal GM215M primers, and Hornady once-fired brass. After I find a good velocity node, I'll build to that, shoot for groups, and when I'm happy at 100-yards, take it out to 1,000-1,500 and see how it shoots at distance.

My question is ... Is anyone else testing or successfully running lighter projectiles (200gr or less) in your 300-PRC, and if so, what are you seeing as results? Is anybody shooting a 300-PRC out to a mile or more with anything other than the heavy projectiles? Just curious what others are seeing with this caliber. If the 200gr bullets shoot well at distance, I'd be thrilled since I have supplies for this combination to last me for "years". BTW ... I'm also getting excellent results with single-digit SD's using the same Berger Hybrid 200.20x in my MPA 300-WM rifle.

Join the discussion if you've got any remotely interesting perspective or experiences on this topic.

Don't know why they wouldn't shoot well at a mile. My 300 PRC is waiting on dies and brass.:(

Don't know why they wouldn't shoot well at a mile. My 300 PRC is waiting on dies and brass.:(
    I feel for you, buddy. Got really lucky when I got my 300-PRC barrel kit about six months ago. My LGS had two cases (400 rounds) of ammo, and the dies came into stock (for a nanosecond) at Creedmoor around the same time. The planets aligned for me. Still waiting on new brass on backorder, but for now, I am re-using the factory brass as I shoot it. This stuff is REALLY hard to find right now.

I feel for you, buddy. Got really lucky when I got my 300-PRC barrel kit about six months ago. My LGS had two cases (400 rounds) of ammo, and the dies came into stock (for a nanosecond) at Creedmoor around the same time. The planets aligned for me. Still waiting on new brass on backorder, but for now, I am re-using the factory brass as I shoot it. This stuff is REALLY hard to find right now.

Last week the LGS here (DFW) had some Hornady .300 PRC brass in stock, I think it was 2 boxes of 100 that were opened but unused.
    I guess I should check this weekend if it's still there and let folks know.

There you go. Just sticking it in my face!:giggle:

I have a pile of 185g juggs I have been thinking of trying