• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest barrel contour for a mcmillan A5?

tho98027

Minuteman
Jul 18, 2013
Rocky Mountains
I was wondring what the lightest barrel contour one could place in a mcmillan A5 and still have things look porportionate. It's a wide stock at the forend and a too skinny of a barrel might look odd. But I was wondering if something like a barlein #3 sporter barrel would look too small in that stock? Any thoughts?

To me, a Brux #5 is about the smallest you can put in an A5. My RV contour even looks a bit too skinny for the forend. McMillan definitely designed the A5 for RV or heavier.

id agree with brux #5. Ive got a 223ai in #5, had it in an a5 for a bit, it was border line goofy looking but if you really wanted the a5 with a light contour it would work. i do a game scout or one of manners new carbon hunting models for anything lighter

Rem AAC-SD in an A5.... Medium Palma would look good, probably better, too. I wouldn't want to go any lighter on the contour IMHO though...would stick with varmint or med palma.

thrust.jpg

My old GAP .243 had a 26" Rock 5R in Rem.Var. contour sitting in an A5 Edge. Made for a great semi-lightweight precision rifle that I would drag out coyote hunting on occasion...
OPHA2010003.jpg

As stated above & shown in the pic, there's plenty more shoulder meat on an A5 to use up...