• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lightest rifle length railed handguard?

Re: lightest rifle length railed handguard?

How many rails do you need?
4 ? 1? Customizable for rails at different points?

Im running a Troy Extreme 13.8 inc and its pretty damn light.

Daniel Defense seems to be noticeably lighter rails than any of the others I've used.

DD Omega is about as light as I'd want, to keep strength. I have a 9" on my Colt, and about 10 lbs lighter than the ARMS SIR that it replaced. Only seens like 10 lbs. JPG

The troy extremes have good reviews, but Ive heard some bad juju about their other freefloats with the barrel nut not supporting the tube/rails enough.

Been waiting for my Troy .308 Battlerail. Hopefully it should be here by the end of Sept. I heard from a couple of dealers that it was one of the lightest on the market. I'm using a DPMS rail now so I think it should be an upgrade.

I have the 13.2" Troy MRF battle rail on my AR .308. It's solid, and I read somewhere it only adds a few ounces over your standard HG's.

yep..that is what I am running on my AR10..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWS (Superior Weapon Systems) should be one of the lightest.
Got E1 model in my AR10, and I have been very happy with it. It IS light. Did quite a lot of weight comparison before purchasing it.

AR15 model here:
http://www.superiorweaponssystems.com/ar15rifle.htm

</div></div>

personally, i like the yhm and troy rails.. just for the simple fact that they are light, yet the cost isn't retarded like some other brands, larue, dd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody know what the lightest rifle length railed handguard out there is?

</div></div>
We sell more Vicking Tactics Extremes made by Troy than any other rail, most days there are 8 or more builds on the shipping table and maybe 2 of any other kinds.
The 11" is 11.2 oz

The DD M4 12 is one of the lighter setups. I've been very pleased with mine.

Source: m4carbine.net - forearm rails weight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here are some 'installed' weights to compare by:

(weight in ounces)
Carbine, FF, Abrams CAS-V (no attached rails), aluminum 17.0
Carbine, FF, Abrams/VLTOR CASV-EL, aluminum 16.0
Carbine, FF, ARMS #45C SIR (Carbine/Civilian), aluminum body with plastic lower 18.7
Carbine, FF, ARMS #45M SIR (Carbine/Military), aluminum body with plastic lower 20.6
Carbine, FF, ARMS #50 M-CV (no rails attached) 13.4
Carbine, FF, ARMS #50 SIR (Carbine, Bi-Level, Slimline), aluminum body with plastic lower 16.1
Carbine, FF, BMAS/YHM Free Float Tube, aluminum 10.1
Carbine, FF, BMAS/YHM Solid 4 Rail Forearm, aluminum 14.3
Carbine, FF, Clark Custom (Rifle tube cut to carbine length), Carbon Fiber 4.0
Carbine, FF, C-More Quad Rail, aluminum 15.8
Carbine, FF, Daniels Defense M4Rail 7.0, aluminum 8.5
Carbine, FF, DPMS Carbon Fiber one piece 6.0
Carbine, FF, Hiperform Carbon Fiber Tube, Standard, Carbon Fiber 7.4
Carbine, FF, Hiperform Carbon Fiber Tube, Ultra-Light, Carbon Fiber 5.7
Carbine, FF, Houge, aluminum with rubber inserts 14.1
Carbine, FF, KAC RAS FF, aluminum 11.4
Carbine, FF, KAC RAS II FF, aluminum 11.2
Carbine, FF, KAC URX, aluminum 8.9
Carbine, FF, LaRue 7.0, aluminum 11.0
Carbine, FF, Leitner-Wise ARM-R 12.7
Carbine, FF, Midwest Industries #20, aluminum 15.4
Carbine, FF, Olympic Arms FIRSH, aluminum 10.5
Carbine, FF, Olympic Arms FIRSH, aluminum 12.5
Carbine, FF, Sampson MRFS-C, aluminum 12.5
Carbine, FF, Troy MRF-C, aluminum 13.0
Carbine, FF, YHM Customizeable Tube (Carbine, no rails), aluminum 9.5
Carbine, FF, YHM Lightweight 4 Rail (Spectre Length), aluminum 12.9
Carbine, FF, YHM Lightweight 4 Rail, aluminum 10.6

For comparison the Surefire unit and a few of it competitors:
(weight of the rail system) then installed weight in ounces. Installed weight includes those parts which are required for installation and it allows a direct comparison to the Free-Float systems which do not use those parts.

Carbine, non-FF, KAC RAS M4, Railed (4)/2 Piece, aluminum (8.8) 11.3
Carbine, non-FF, KAC RIS, Railed (4)/2 Piece, aluminum (8.1) 10.6
Carbine, non-FF, M4 Type, double sheilded, pair, plastic (6.4oz) 8.9
Carbine, non-FF, Midwest Industries Railed(4)/2 Piece, aluminum (11.9 oz) 14.4
Carbine, non-FF, Sampson MRFS-DI, Railed (4)/2 Piece, aluminum (9.1 oz) 11.6
Carbine, non-FF, Surefire M73, Railed (4)/2 Piece, aluminum (10 oz) 12.5
Carbine, non-FF, Yankee Hill Machine, Railed(4)/2 Piece, aluminum (9.5 oz) 12.0
</div></div>
I know you asked for rifle length rails but this list might help you to compare products from different manufacturers.

Some rifle length weight examples I managed to find:

YHM 4-RAIL FREE-FLOAT standard, rifle 22.5 oz (638 g)
YHM 4-RAIL FREE-FLOAT lightweight, rifle 14.75 oz (418 g)
YHM "SMOOTH" FREE FLOAT HANDGUARD rifle 16.6 oz (471g)
BADGER ORDNANCE STABLILIZER HANDGUARD rifle 25.9 oz (736 g)
LaRue Tactical 12.0" Handguard LT15-12 Rifle 16.8 oz (476 g)
Daniel Defense Rifle Tactical Free Float 13.2 oz (374 g)
Daniel Defense Omega Rail 12 Rifle 13.5 oz (385g)
Samson Manufacturing MRFS-R rifle 18.3 oz (519g)
Midwest Ind. MI#22 Rifle Length Free Float 17.1 oz (485 g)

im running a YHM 4 rail free float standard now. didnt know the weight, thanks for posting that info. seems I may actually be able to save some decent weight. not sure what else I can lighten up on my build (not running a HBAR)

I appreciate all the help.

PRI Carbon Fiber handguard.

The material is what makes the difference. All the rest are aluminum which is heavier.

Another vote for PRI.

Put the rails where you need them, take them off where you dont to save even more weight.

see what that new seekins weighs in at. its sold thru spikes, but glenn posted pics somewhere. its nice and looks to be very lightweight. its called that too

Total weight with everything (including screws) should be very close to this. It is calculated from solidworks and i went out to 3 decimal places for ya
smile.gif

7" - 8.512oz
9" - 9.312oz
10" - 10.688oz
12" - 12.256oz
13" - 12.512oz

If you want to compare other rails that dont count their barrel nut our Titanium barrel nut weighs 1.3 oz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PRI Carbon Fiber handguard.

The material is what makes the difference. All the rest are aluminum which is heavier. </div></div>

I'd also have to agree! i have an 18" long PRI on my 20" rifle and it's hardly noticeable. Very rugged too. I would think it would flex a lot more than it does :)

SWS and PRI both have huge barrel nuts which add significant weight to the rail.

So far, Troy TRX are the lightest. Even more so if you don't run any of the extra rail sections.

I dunno why samson continually rips of troy... Same basic design. Looks heavier to me.

Vtac rails from troy aren't as light. The slots and lack of a lightening cut on the inside front 3" adds over an oz to the weight.

I'm almost certain that the trx rails in these are including the optional accessory rails into the weight.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ#gid=0

I had a look at the new Centurion Arms rail at SHOT and was impressed. According to the designer it is about 1/2 ounce lighter than the DD rail when installed and has more rigidity. It's a slick two piece system and I'll be getting one as soon as they are available. Sorry, no cost to post at this time.

Centurion Arms

Also saw Lowlight at the show and he is much taller in person.

Samson has come out with new free float rails, lighter than DD (at least according to their website):

Samson MFG

Who ever said lighter is better. Unless your carrying that thing over 4-5 miles, who cares. I personally like my AR's on the heavy side.

best lightweight AR 15 handguards

Free floating M-Lok Lightweight AR 15 Handguard
AR-15 Custom C-Cut Handguards
15 Inch Mach 2.0 Free Float m-lok Handguards

Attachments

• 15_mach_2.0_mlok_no_rails_grande.jpg
    15_mach_2.0_mlok_no_rails_grande.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Mach_2.0_Handguard_large.jpg
    Mach_2.0_Handguard_large.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 56