• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest tactical stock for new build?

Snakum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Sandhills
Going to start buying parts for a new build, and want to try to find the lightest "tactical" stock available that has still proven stable/accurate and tough in service.

I've handled or fired a couple of weapons on AI, HS, or McMillan A-series stocks and I know they are very accurate and durable, but I need to keep the weight down as far as possible. I like the Savage LE Accustock because it's accurate and it's a perfect weight and the beaver tail forend is perfect - not a hunting profile but not too wide either. But I really want a different angle on the grip. I shoot noticeably better with more vertical hand grips. While finding and spreadsheeting weight specs I thought I'd ask here, too, in case someone has already been down this road already.

I'm hoping the action will be Savage 10 or Win/FN M70, but if I gotta go Remington to get what I want that's no biggie either. And I'll be going with a 20" fluted barrel so I don't need weight fill for balancing. Looking for lightweight, near vertical grip, and a bedding block.

Any suggestions?

Re: Lightest tactical stock for new build?

I looked at the Manners with high CF content. But knowing what CF costs on racing bikes I imagine the lightweight Manners nudges a grand pretty quickly?

Will check out Wolf.

Thanks guys.

the carbon fiber version of manner is only around $60 you can get the msct carbon for around $550 shipped.

Wow ... that's very reasonable. Thanks for the info. I'm emailing them now.

The Mc Edge doesn't come in a tactical profile, unfortunately.

You can get about any McMillan patterns in Edge, including all the A series stocks.

Snakum,

What are you going to do with this rifle? I just shot my first sniper type match, where you shoot from different positions and I learned that my crusader is quite heavy. I feel like a longer barrel (24"), in a medium palma contour might balance better for standing/sitting/kneeling. I'm also going to go with a 6.5 caliber to buck the Arizona wind better. I think the manners MCS-TA with 90% CF might be perfect for my next project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get about any McMillan patterns in Edge, including all the A series stocks.</div></div>

When I checked the site I saw only hunting and BR models listed. Do you know someone whose gotten an A5 profile in the Edge series? That'd be a good thing to check out if they make it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you going to do with this rifle? I just shot my first sniper type match</div></div>

Me too. Now I'm hooked. And I fully blame you people for the associated financial hit already taken, and the one to come.
mad.gif

This will be a tactical competition build and maybe limited hunting. My FCP-K runs 12.8 lbs fully kitted and loaded up (1 loaded mag inserted, 2 loaded mags in the stock pack and 8 rounds in the ammo loops), and it's not too bad carrying it around all day at a shoot or on the range - I often have all day range sessions and will ruck it to and from various areas. I have three vertebrae (lumbar and thoracic) with leaking discs on both sides and pretty bad sciatica. Also have shot rotator cuffs, both sides.

So I'm buying a new, lighter ruck, rewriting my packing list, and shooting for the new build to run no more than 14 pounds fully loaded. For the past two years I've been told by my Orthopedist over and over to stop hiking, shooting, riding motorcycles, getting in fights with guys half my age, etc. But I'd rather be dead than stop doing things I love. Might as well eat a bullet if I gotta stay on a couch somewhere and watch TV.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get about any McMillan patterns in Edge, including all the A series stocks.</div></div>

When I checked the site I saw only hunting and BR models listed. Do you know someone whose gotten an A5 profile in the Edge series? That'd be a good thing to check out if they make it. </div></div>

I thought the same until I call them. You can get any A series in edge. No cheekpiece though.

just got my rifle back thats outfitted with a T4 Carbon fiber and the rifle is very light for a tactical style rifle

Manners T3 90% carbon, Surgeon RSR, Surgeon bottom metal and picatinny rail, Jewel Trigger, Krieger fluted Sendaro contour, Seekins Rings, Nightforce 3.5-15x50 weighs 10 lb on the button.

LarryB,

How's the cheek weld on the T3? 10 lbs is awesome. 24" tube?

Cheek weld is fine; nice high comb. Barrel is 21.5" with a removable Thruster and cap.

I've found out I can essentially get the McMillan stock Savage uses for the 10FCP Mc in an Edge weight. This would let me use the Savage centerfeed mags I already have if I went with a Savage action. They are flush with the stock and I like that they don't interfere with lying the rifle across rucks or logs or whatever.

So now I'm thinking Savage action, McM Edge FCP centerfeed stock, 20" fluted 1-10 Rock/Bart/etc. barrel with a brake.

Thanks for all the help.

Where is the A-5 edge listed on the mcmillan website? The only edge stocks i see are 2 benchrest and 1 hunter model.

sounds badass, i love mcmillan but don't forget the boys at manners they will treat you right also. since I have rifle a.d.d i would go with whoever can get you one quicker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SofaKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the A-5 edge listed on the mcmillan website? The only edge stocks i see are 2 benchrest and 1 hunter model. </div></div>

You can get just about any McM stock with Edge fill: just ask. About $100 uplift if I remember correctly.

The Manners GAT is slim and light as well as a vertical grip. That will be my next stock in 90% Carbon.....

Well, it seems Manners and McMillan both can get me a carbon fiber tactical that uses my existing Savage center feed metal. So I can build what will essentially be a Savage 10FCP McMillan but with a super light stock, stainless center feed action, and a 20" stainless no-taper braked barrel. Talking to StrictlyRUM about building it.

Thanks for all the info!