• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest Tikka chassis?

MachoKing

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2017
What is the lightest chassis out there? I use my rifle primarily for hunting so it can't be super heavy.

I'm also wondering, what is stopping chassis manufacturers from making chassis for long action Tikkas? I would figure with Mountain Tactical and RedSnake making bottom metal that takes AICS long action mags that it would be possible to make a chassis that does the same.

The new MPA hybrid is 3lb without recoil pad. The MDT LSS-XL will take their own magazine for long action, it's also light at sub 2 lbs without butstock.

I think you can get lighter with a more traditional stock style with Manners carbon fiber or German gun stock.

Got think it might not be what had been recommend once you add the castle but, buffer tube and butt stock..

Look at the new MPA Hybrid

I do like the MPA hybrid and the Bravo. I'd rather have a chassis like the Bravo since it's not bare aluminum which would be pretty cold in the winter.

I do like the MPA hybrid and the Bravo. I'd rather have a chassis like the Bravo since it's not bare aluminum which would be pretty cold in the winter.
Weight is subjective, a well balanced 11 lb rifle can feel better than a poorly balanced 8 lb rifle. YMMV. I have a CTR in a bravo chassis and love it. Well balanced but I can't remember weight off the top of my head. Be advised it only accepts metal AICS mags, not that it matters these days with plenty of companies making the metal mags (Accurate mag, etc) I am also a KRG fanboy and have a few chassis.
20180302_191059.jpg

The lightest would be the LSS with a Magpul CTR and maybe a 1/4" riser on it.

Look at the GGS Ranger. Pretty light and has an aluminum mini-chassis in it.

Weight is subjective, a well balanced 11 lb rifle can feel better than a poorly balanced 8 lb rifle. YMMV. I have a CTR in a bravo chassis and love it. Well balanced but I can't remember weight off the top of my head. Be advised it only accepts metal AICS mags, not that it matters these days with plenty of companies making the metal mags (Accurate mag, etc) I am also a KRG fanboy and have a few chassis.View attachment 6886654

The MDT and MagPul AICS won't work? I am considering one for my .223 Varmint and I am using MDT AICS mags with it now.

That German Gun Stock Ranger is pretty cool. I have a laminate thumbhole with a bedding block that I like but it's super heavy and not adjustable. I might just need to save my ducketts for that. I think the idea of sinking a mini chassis into laminate is genius.

That German Gun Stock Ranger is pretty cool. I have a laminate thumbhole with a bedding block that I like but it's super heavy and not adjustable. I might just need to save my ducketts for that. I think the idea of sinking a mini chassis into laminate is genius.

I have the my CTR in the Predator and it is a great stock. The Ranger would be a good hunting only version.

I don't have any MDT, I have magpul, accurate mag and AICS and only the metal mags work. They list this on their web site.

I had to file/sand down the feed lips on my MDT AICS .223 mags for my Tikka Varmint as the bolt drug on them.

The MDT and MagPul AICS won't work? I am considering one for my .223 Varmint and I am using MDT AICS mags with it now.

I use the MDT plastic mags in my X-Ray along with AICS and KRG branded Accurate mag(without binder plate), I assume they should work in the Bravo as the chassis is the same but don't quote me.

I use the MDT plastic mags in my X-Ray along with AICS and KRG branded Accurate mag(without binder plate), I assume they should work in the Bravo as the chassis is the same but don't quote me.
They are not, the x-ray has more space. The tikka bravo is as metal AICS style only. None of my polymers fit. My X-ray and Whiskey both work with any mags you try of AICS pattern, magpul and even a Ruger polymer I have for my GSR.

Reactions: GM795
They are not, the x-ray has more space. The tikka bravo is as metal AICS style only. None of my polymers fit. My X-ray and Whiskey both work with any mags you try of AICS pattern, magpul and even a Ruger polymer I have for my GSR.

That’s surprising but good to know.

I was a little disappointed myself but they've moved it up higher on their info page:
https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-chassis/

"Tikka inlet accepts T3, T3x, and CTR versions. Magpul AICS polymer mags DO NOT work with Tikka actions."

Maybe some creative sanding would change that but it's not worth it to me atm.

I wonder what exactly the difference is, it must be in the chassis itself as I’m sure I read somewhere that the Bravos polymer forend will fit the X-Ray and Whisky .

I wonder what exactly the difference is, it must be in the chassis itself as I’m sure I read somewhere that the Bravos polymer forend will fit the X-Ray and Whisky .
I go to night shift next week, I may break out a micrometer and see what the differences are however based on KRG's statement it's something with the action itself I believe. Because the Bravo for the Remington does accept the polymer mags. Maybe thicker feed lips or something on polymer, I see others stating they trimmed the MDT mags to function with tikka action. I have a feeling it's just a issue with action/chassis interaction and design. Tikka has more meat on it than the Remington actions.

Reactions: GM795
I go to night shift next week, I may break out a micrometer and see what the differences are however based on KRG's statement it's something with the action itself I believe. Because the Bravo for the Remington does accept the polymer mags. Maybe thicker feed lips or something on polymer, I see others stating they trimmed the MDT mags to function with tikka action. I have a feeling it's just a issue with action/chassis interaction and design. Tikka has more meat on it than the Remington actions.

I had issues with the bolt hitting the feed lips on the MDT mags with CDI bottom metal. The Accurate AISC metal mags fit fine, but I wanted to load longer so I filed and sanded down the MDT feed lips. They work great in my Tikka now.

Reactions: Graywolf.260

I had my CTR in a KRG X-Ray chassis. It did not work with Magpul mags but worked perfectly with the MDT polymer mags. No modifications were required to the action, the X-Ray, or the MDT magazines. The warnings on the page do only call out the Magpul polymer mags, not all polymer mags. I'd be surprised if the MDT didn't work in the Bravo, but I've been surprised before.

Imo...the German gunstock looks ugly and gay...

If only MPA made their Ultra light in a tikka inlet, that'd be sweet, I have one for my bighorn, the reciever makes up for the weight reduction in the chassis. Maybe someday they will inlet for tikka...

How much heavier are the bravo from the factory plastic?

T3x Lite stocks are ~28 ounces. A KRG Bravo stock with all the LOP spacers is right at 48 ounces.

Is the extra lb worth it for you? Im mountain hunting so im not sure if it is.

Is the extra lb worth it for you? Im mountain hunting so im not sure if it is.

Depends on what you need. I have one Tikka hunting rifle in a KRG Bravo , but I don't hike very far with it. My other hunting rifle is in a Tikka Varmint stock (with a small cheek riser) that I had sitting around. The Varmint stock adds ~3 ounces, has a cheek riser and a beaver tail forend. I did this because I had it sitting around. If I didn't have one sitting around, I wouldn't spend $100+ on finding a Varmint stock, I would just create a cheek riser using yoga matt and athletic tape/wrap.

Depends on what you need. I have one Tikka hunting rifle in a KRG Bravo , but I don't hike very far with it. My other hunting rifle is in a Tikka Varmint stock (with a small cheek riser) that I had sitting around. The Varmint stock adds ~3 ounces, has a cheek riser and a beaver tail forend. I did this because I had it sitting around. If I didn't have one sitting around, I wouldn't spend $100+ on finding a Varmint stock, I would just create a cheek riser using yoga matt and athletic tape/wrap.

Will the standard tikka bravo work on a CTR 10 rd mag and superlite that doesnt have a mag?

Will the standard tikka bravo work on a CTR 10 rd mag and superlite that doesnt have a mag?
No. KRG makes 2 version of the Tikka inletting - one for AICS mags and one for the CTR mags. If you meant to ask whether you can take a superlite, a CTR mag, and a KRG Bravo built for CTR mags, then yes it will work perfectly.

No. KRG makes 2 version of the Tikka inletting - one for AICS mags and one for the CTR mags. If you meant to ask whether you can take a superlite, a CTR mag, and a KRG Bravo built for CTR mags, then yes it will work perfectly.

So I have two rifles a superlite and a CTR. Will the both work with one chassis?

I’d go with the Bravo. I’m getting rid of mine (currently for sale) but it’s insanely light and very rigid.

So I have two rifles a superlite and a CTR. Will the both work with one chassis?
Yes, both barreled actions will bolt into the same KRG Bravo chassis and feed from the same CTR magazine (as long both of the chamberings will work with your current CTR magazine e.g. 6.5 CM and .308 win).