• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight ~3-15 power FFP/Mil scopes?

Jjensen

Best mediocre shooter you'll never meet.
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
MN
Just finished building my Grendel for a lightweight hunting rifle (5.5lbs) and I'd like to put something that can utilize the effective range of the caliber on top. This rifle may act as a match rifle for some shorter matches, so an upper mag of 15-18x would be preferred. max budget is right around $900. What would you guys suggest?

Based on your price point, and your magnification, sounds like you're describing the Nightforce SHV 4-15 to a T.

Im not sure on the weight, as I'm not a NF guy, but for the price point, they get fantastic reviews.

Just finished building my Grendel for a lightweight hunting rifle (5.5lbs) and I'd like to put something that can utilize the effective range of the caliber on top. This rifle may act as a match rifle for some shorter matches, so an upper mag of 15-18x would be preferred. max budget is right around $900. What would you guys suggest?

I'm still going through a similar effort. Check out the Athlon Ares 2.5-15 (27.?oz), the Vortex gen 2 viper 3-15 (28.?oz), and the SWFA 3-15 (24oz).

I bought the Vortex, but then sold it as it was a more precision oriented scope than I was after. (Reticle). I'm now saving for the Leupold Mark 6 3-18 (23.?oz) with the TMR reticle as I *think* it will be perfect on my Grendel. I may pick up the SWFA to have something there until I can afford the Leupold. (May also just go all the way to the NightForce ATACR 4-16, but it's 30oz and more money.

Hope this helps.

4.5-18 LRHS is around 26 oz. I love my 3-12 and plan on snagging a 4.5-18 in the next month if finances allow. The PST gen 2 is another really nice option.

I highly recommend the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x44, used they should be just above your budget (but worth saving for), I personally think they are the best scope at that price point. The next one would be the Vortex PST II, these are cheaper but still have good glass and mechanics. I own the PST II 5-25 so cannot comment on the 3-15 but I am impressed with the 5-25 at its price point. If you're going to purchase new then I highly recommend the Hide vendors, they have the best prices and will treat you right. You don't have very many posts so if you're new to the Hide send me a PM and I can recommend some vendors for you.

I put a Sig Tango 6 2-12 on my 16" hunter Grendel AR. Something like that would probably be a good match if you can find one, or my default go-to scope, the Weaver 3-15 Tactical with the EMDR reticle.

Not saying it won't work for whatever type of hunting you may be doing but be careful with FFP without illumination if you're wanting to hunt as long as you legally can.

I'm going to say, check out the Sig tango 4 line FFP, MOA or MIL DEV-L reticle or plain milling in both. There are a couple other reticles. 26ozs 4-16x44, 28ozs. 6-24x50. Nice glass IMHO. For the $.

I'm going to say that I'd take gen 2 PST(More $) over these and Athlon ARES FFP is hanging in with the sig, just different packaging.

I own all these. I'm sure there are other good choices out there...??.....

Last edited:
I am not sure if the NF SHV is a FFP? I currently don't run one, but for some reason thought it was SFP.

Nightforce came out with a SHV F1 4-14x50 that is FFP and uses a 3.5x erector. It is about the same price as the Bushnell LRTS and the Bushnell has a 4x erector and more usable magnification range IMO.

One thing that baffles me with the SHV line is why they have a 5-20 with 4x erector and a 4-14 with 3.5x erector??? I can only think that Nightforce did not want to cut into sales of the ATACR F1 4-16, but if the SHV F1 was a 4-16x50 I would be much more interested than a 4-14.

Last edited:
Nightforce came out with a SHV F1 4-14x50 that is FFP and uses a 3.5x erector. It is about the same price as the Bushnell LRTS and the Bushnell has a 4x erector and more usable magnification range IMO.

One thing that baffles me with the SHV line is why they have a 5-20 with 4x erector and a 4-14 with 3.5x erector??? I can only think that Nightforce did not want to cut into sales of the ATACR F1 4-16, but if the SHV F1 was a 4-16x50 I would be much more interested than a 4-14.

Thanks for the info !

In your price range, you should be looking at a few scopes, most of which have already be mentioned.

Personally, I would likely be looking at SWFA SS 3-15x42FFP. That scope is very hard to beat for the money. I have a lot of mileage with both FFP and SFP versions of this scope and I like the FFP one more even aside from the reticle location. It is a little easier to get behind, although both are pretty decent. I have recommended it to a bunch of people and, honestly, the only people who speak badly of the 3-15x42FFP are people who sell sell competing designs. There are better scopes out there, but for the money, this one is hard to beat.

Another likely good option is Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50. I have not tested that one, but the 4.5-27x50 I am looking at is very good for the money. This is a new design, so durability is difficult to predict, but it is looking good so far.

Also, Burris XTR II 3-15x50 is pretty close to what you are looking for price wise. XTR II has been out for bit now and the mechanical quality of these has really held up well. I was a little cautious of these at first, but I am pretty impressed with how well these have done.

Lastly, there is Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x44. I have one on the way, so I'll have a better idea of how it does over the next 2-3 weeks.

ILya

Like I'd said above. I forgot to mention I own a PST gen 2 5-25x50 era-2c moa. I looked threw a 3-15x44 at my local shop and was equally impressed. The salesman tried to tell me he thought it looked better than the 5-25. I called him out. He's a good salesman, but he's not that good. He owns a gen 2 razor and a pst gen 2 as do I. If I never owned a gen 2 razor I could be happy with a pst gen 2 and never want more of any brand/reticle. Only down fall of gen 2 PST is no locking caps, the same zero stop or 2nd rev indicator. Pretty minor. Glass, reticle and light weight(only 2 or 3ozs. more than the tango 4) are awesome IMHO.

On another note. I'd look at Nightforce Ultra light Moa canted uni-mount for your scope. It's what I put on my light weight 308 build instead of a Spuhr mount(almost as good).

Last edited:
You'd be an absolute fool to choose anything lesser than a NF 3-15x50 F1. They might be discontinued but at the price point of $1300-$1400 used they blow the pants off the competition.

Best part? You can't break em. It's arguably the best all around mid range precision riflescope of all time.

I rarely see them lower than $1500 around here and those are usually beat to shit too.

I am in a similar situation as you and building a lightweight 6.5 Grendel. Long story short I need a light rifle and my match gun is too heavy, 15lbs, and my .223 doesn’t meet the requirements. I have looked at going with carbon fiber stock and barrel for my matchbox rifle but that only shaves 4lbs from my match rifle, I really want to be in the 8-9 range fully equipped. Hence, I started looking at the 6.5 Grendel.

Right now my build with the NF2.5-10x24 specs out at 7.9lbs. This is overly conservative as I think it’ll be more in the 7-7.5lb range. I am just using the NF 24 because it is a donor scope from my MK12 for the time being.

So onto scopes, I need to be able to engage targets out to 1000yrds and the scope needs to be bombproof, but I also want it to be lightweight in keeping with the trend of the build.

Personally, I think it is a fools errand to build this lightweight rifle and then throw ~2lbs on tops of it (25oz scope + mount) unless you are getting something significant in return for the extra weight. Staying with your budget and magnification I would go with the SWFA 3-15x42 as it is the only one that meets the criteria. If you can loose some mag on the high end than look at the Burris XTRII 2-10 and Sig Sauer Tango 4 3-12. Obviously I would put these in a lightweight 3.5oz AeroPrecision Mount.

If you can be patient, I know it is hard to do and I have trouble with it, I would try and save some coin and can’t see if you can move into a Mark6, T5Xi, or ATACR F1. Yes, it adds and additional 6oz for the T5Xi and ATACR, but I think you will be satisfied with the upgrade in glass. I would not go above the 24-25oz weight unless I knew I was getting a major upgrade in the glass department. So if you have to stay on budget and magnification go with the SWFA. I have seen a handful of Mark6 in the PX around the $1500-1800 range. ATACR F1s had a slew of them in there a while back right at 2k but they have dried up recently and the T5Xi can be found at $1300-1500.

Lightweight (<25oz)
Leupold Mark 6 3-18x42 24oz ($2200 New, $1600-1800 used)
SWFA 3-15x42 24oz ($700 New, $600 used)
Nightforcs NXS 2.5-10x24 17oz ($1500 used)
Burris XTRII 2-10x42 23oz ($800 New)
Sig Sauer Tango 4 3-12x42 24oz ($750-800 New)

Heavier (>25oz)
Nightforce ATACR F1 4-16x42 30oz ($2500 New, $2000 used)
Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 30oz ($2000 New, $1200-1300 used)
Bushnell DMRII 3.5-21x50 34oz ($1500 New, $1300 used)
Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44 27oz ($1500 New)
Bushnell LRTSi 3-12 28oz ($1300 used)
Burris XTRII 3-15x50 31oz ($890 New, $750 used)
Vortex Viper PST GENII 2-10x32 26oz ($950)
Vortex Viper PST GENII 3-15x44 28oz ($1000)
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 30oz ($1800 New, $1500 used)
Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x50 30oz ($1250 New, $1000used)
Athlon ARES BTR 2.5-15x50 27oz ($800 New)
Sig Sauer Tango 6 4-16x44 26oz ($900-1000 New)

All this info came from SWFA, Sport Optics, Midway, and the PX Section

Reactions: Joeymac
You'd be an absolute fool to choose anything lesser than a NF 3-15x50 F1. They might be discontinued but at the price point of $1300-$1400 used they blow the pants off the competition.

Best part? You can't break em. It's arguably the best all around mid range precision riflescope of all time.

Unless I am mistaken, the SHV F1 4-14x50 is based on the original NXS F1 design, so if that is what you like, consider the SHV. That having been said, I have not tested the SHV F1, but will do so once I clear out my backlog.

ILya

I am in a similar situation as you and building a lightweight 6.5 Grendel. Long story short I need a light rifle and my match gun is too heavy, 15lbs, and my .223 doesn’t meet the requirements. I have looked at going with carbon fiber stock and barrel for my matchbox rifle but that only shaves 4lbs from my match rifle, I really want to be in the 8-9 range fully equipped. Hence, I started looking at the 6.5 Grendel.

Right now my build with the NF2.5-10x24 specs out at 7.9lbs. This is overly conservative as I think it’ll be more in the 7-7.5lb range. I am just using the NF 24 because it is a donor scope from my MK12 for the time being.

So onto scopes, I need to be able to engage targets out to 1000yrds and the scope needs to be bombproof, but I also want it to be lightweight in keeping with the trend of the build.

Personally, I think it is a fools errand to build this lightweight rifle and then throw ~2lbs on tops of it (25oz scope + mount) unless you are getting something significant in return for the extra weight. Staying with your budget and magnification I would go with the SWFA 3-15x42 as it is the only one that meets the criteria. If you can loose some mag on the high end than look at the Burris XTRII 2-10 and Sig Sauer Tango 4 3-12. Obviously I would put these in a lightweight 3.5oz AeroPrecision Mount.

If you can be patient, I know it is hard to do and I have trouble with it, I would try and save some coin and can’t see if you can move into a Mark6, T5Xi, or ATACR F1. Yes, it adds and additional 6oz for the T5Xi and ATACR, but I think you will be satisfied with the upgrade in glass. I would not go above the 24-25oz weight unless I knew I was getting a major upgrade in the glass department. So if you have to stay on budget and magnification go with the SWFA. I have seen a handful of Mark6 in the PX around the $1500-1800 range. ATACR F1s had a slew of them in there a while back right at 2k but they have dried up recently and the T5Xi can be found at $1300-1500.

Lightweight (<25oz)
Leupold Mark 6 3-18x42 24oz ($2200 New, $1600-1800 used)
SWFA 3-15x42 24oz ($700 New, $600 used)
Nightforcs NXS 2.5-10x24 17oz ($1500 used)
Burris XTRII 2-10x42 23oz ($800 New)
Sig Sauer Tango 4 3-12x42 24oz ($750-800 New)

Heavier (>25oz)
Nightforce ATACR F1 4-16x42 30oz ($2500 New, $2000 used)
Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 30oz ($2000 New, $1200-1300 used)
Bushnell DMRII 3.5-21x50 34oz ($1500 New, $1300 used)
Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44 27oz ($1500 New)
Bushnell LRTSi 3-12 28oz ($1300 used)
Burris XTRII 3-15x50 31oz ($890 New, $750 used)
Vortex Viper PST GENII 2-10x32 26oz ($950)
Vortex Viper PST GENII 3-15x44 28oz ($1000)
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 30oz ($1800 New, $1500 used)
Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x50 30oz ($1250 New, $1000used)
Athlon ARES BTR 2.5-15x50 27oz ($800 New)
Sig Sauer Tango 6 4-16x44 26oz ($900-1000 New)

All this info came from SWFA, Sport Optics, Midway, and the PX Section

A couple of notes: I have tested the 2-10x42 version of XTR II and liked that scope very much. G2B reticle is sorta simple by modern standards, but it works exceedingly well and I have a lot of mileage with it.

Generally, if you are OK with previous generation scope, I keep on seeing 1st gen Sig Tango 6 scopes on a significant discount. I tested the 3-18x44 ( http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=1748 ) and liked it. I have seen both 2-12x40 and 3-18x44 models recently in the $800-$1k range and at those prices they are an exceptional deal.

Fundamentally though, since there are several options available, you should think about the reticle that works for you and whether you want to primarily use the reticle for wind and trajectory compensation or whether you plan to spin the turrets a lot. Both are viable approaches, but they will drive the reticle choice, which, in turn will drive the scope choice.

I am sorta comfortable with both approaches, so comparatively simple reticle like G2B and Mil-Quad really work well for me. However, my favourite scope has a somewhat simple version of a Christmas tree reticle (Gen 2XR in Tangent Theta TT315M).

If having a reticle that allows easy wind holds at distance is important, then you should be exploring designs like Vortex' EBR-2C in the Gen 2 PST (I should have the 3-15x44 and 5-25x50 Gen 2s in my hands next week).

Similarly, Athlon Ares has a pretty modern reticle and is worth a look.

Now, my original opinion remains and for the money, SWFA 3-15x42FFP is not yet matched by anything I have seen.... as long as you can live with the reticle and lack of illumination.

Lastly, while this scope does not get as much attention here as it should, my 8lbs Grendel most of the time has a SWFA SSHD 3-9x42 scope on it and I like it immensely. It is a simple, but well executed scope. As it happens, it site in a Aero Precisoin mount because I was curious about how well they do. I bought several of these mounts on sale and proceeded to be rather disappointed with every single one of them. I made them work, but on all of the ones I have, the rings are out of round and with some scopes, they will squeeze the tube in ways that hurt the scope's internals (for what its worth, the 3-9x42 SS seems to work just fine in that mount even when I tested it on a 458 SOCOM).

ILya

Luepold VX5 HD 3-15, illuminated reticle options and 19 oz. For your application, especially primary hunting and target, consider SFP. These can be found for 750.00 - 900.00.

I've been using a leupold LRP on my tikka "tactical" project rifle and it has been good so far. It's their hunting VX3i type model with a big ass locking elevation knob.

The scope I really wanted was the nightforce shv f1 but I couldn't find any under a grand.

I've used the NF SHV F1 on my match rifle for a bit more than a year now, it's seen upwards of 3k rounds (.308). My gripes with it (5 mil turrets, no availability of x-mas tree type reticle, relatively low max mag, capped windage) relate specifically to match shooting and I don't think would put you at a disadvantage for hunting. I've got a Bushy DMR II with H59 inbounds as a replacement but I've been contemplating keeping the NF specifically for a hunting rig or precision semi. Honestly it's held up really well to rough use, lotsa travel, always kept it's zero and tracks rock solid. I'd really be interested in comparing it to the NXS F1 3-15. I know you can find the NXS with a H59, are the turrets 5 or 10 mil?

It's a shame there's nothing new and exciting coming out in the way of a lightweight 3-12 or 3-15x 50 FFP high quality scope

It's a shame there's nothing new and exciting coming out in the way of a lightweight 3-12 or 3-15x 50 FFP high quality scope

As far as the higher end, I think the TT315M has that covered.

Not entirely as lightweight as I'd prefer. Here's hoping there's a new Leupold Mk5 now that they have the VX5. 3-15x44 FFP mil/TMR lit 600gms c'mon......