• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Lightweight .308???

Todd Heyn

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2002
Easton, PA
My lovely wife wants to buy me a new hunting rifle for Christmas/birthday. I am looking for a lightweight bolt action .308.

What would you recommend?

Re: Lightweight .308???

what is your budget???

Old style rem ti's are nice around $900 or so

Special run rem 700s Mountain guides are great little rifles at $550 or so, i have one in 243, and i really like it for a lightweight carrying little killer

or you can go all out and spend $3k and build a custom

For factory lightweight rifles I like the Remington Ti's or Mod 7's. If you wanna go heavier, +1 DKSD's advise of an LTR. I also have had good luck with the Kimber Montana's. My Kimber Montana (.308) with glass weighs a few oz under 6lbs, it's like carrying a BB gun and is surprisingly easy on the shoulder.

As far as custom goes, the limit only ends when your bank account is dry.

If you have time, contact Lex Webernic at Rifles Inc. He builds the best LIGHT rifles out there. I have a 300WM, less than 6 pounds, shoots lights out with 180gr TSX or MRX.

The 308 will be ready in a month... can't WAIT!

As an update, I am looking for a factory rifle.

I did a little looking last night on the web and came up with the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight as well as the Savage 11FXP3 package gun.

I currently have to heavy barrel Savages that are tack shooters. A 110 .308 and a 10 .223.

Your thoughts?

I'll also look into the Remington Mountain and the Kimber Montana.

I'd go with the Tikka T3 if you're wanting an out of the box factory gun that shoots lights out.

Stick with what you know and trust and buy the Savage. Every Savage I have owned has shot sub-moa.

I had a tikka t3 lite in 308. I sold it because I was only using it at the range but it was the best 1st round hit rifle I ever had.

I just happened to be at a local gunshop looking for a light weight or youth model rifle for my son. I checked out the Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter in .308. It was 6 lbs or so and felt great for a smaller rifle.

I have a lightweight M70 .30-'06, and think that with the advent of the Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock, Savage has come full circle regarding making their products outstandingly effective.

My only comment would be that stock design plays a crucial role in felt recoil. I would look for a stock that has minimum drop, and a comb that is either parallel to the bore line, or angles slightly upward as it trails rearward.

Greg

For a quality lightweight production rifle, I would recommend a Sako Finnlite or a Sauer 202 Outback.

I have a Finnlite in 6.5x55 and a 202 in 243, and both are excellent shooters and super well made.

If you want a "custom" gun, I would recommend looking into a NULA.

Hey Guy I have one for you and it is factory and runs about 650 on gun broker. it is the Remington VTR it has that triangular barrel and a built in muzzle break. Mine is shooting right at or just below 1 moa and that is with the plastic stock it comes with. You can always upgrade the stock when the budget or desire allows. the rifle looks ok in all of remington varmint barrel profile stocks, I know beause we have placed it in several, I think it looks best in an LTR stock though

My lovely wife bought me the Tikka T3 in 7mm Mag last year for Christmas and I could not be happier with it. It weighs next to nothing and is a pleasure to pack through the mountains and fields where I hunt. I have shoot a deer and Antelope with it this year and this thing is a real shooter. I would totally suggest it in a .308 for a light weight hunter.

A good option if you also want open sights is the T3 Battue Lite. I love mine and it's only 2.8Kg

T3-Battue-Lite%20THUS.jpg

The Sako 85 Finnlight is the same weight but more $$$$

85-Finnlight-450.jpg

The Rem Mtn. Guide Rifles (like shootone already mentioned) are a LOT of bang for your buck. They come with the old "Ti" stock and are plenty serviceable right out of the box. HEre's one in 308 for sale on the campfire.

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubb...tn_guide#UNREAD

I bought mine in 243 and shoots better than MOA for 3 quick shots with loads it likes. I've ran this particular rifle to 500yds and have very solid drop data for it. It'll hold sub-MOA for 3-shots out to that distance even with the "handicap" of the mountain rifle contoured barrel and the fixed 6x. You're not going to sit down and bang out long strings of fire, but it's not made for that. Mine weighs 6.8#'s sitting in a McMillan Mtn Rfl stock while wearing a set of Talley LW's and a fixed 6x42.

I know that "light" means different things to different people. I heard someone mention the LTR in one of the posts above. It surely isn't what I would consider "light" for a hunting rifle if you spend a lot of time walking around. If you're carrying it 500yds to and from a blind.....that might be different though.

DSC_3226.jpg

If you can find one the Sig SHR970 is a great rifle. I had the barrel cut to 20" and recrowned...will put first three into a cloverleaf at 100 ... Ive never shot it beyond 250...but I also have a 270 barrel for it that I havent tried yet... too happy with the 308 to change....

Here is mine:

IMG_0246.jpg

She will do .25moa with handloads and hit the 500m splash plate at the range with boring ease, weighs next to nothing and can be carried all day. FYI the scope is a SS 3-9x42.

Rath

+1 on the Sig SHR970. I have one in 7 mag and use it for deer hunting. It's light and very accurate. A bit of a mule kick in 7 mag, but you don't get a rifle you can carry all day without some tradeoff.

I have a Winchester Winlite in 30'06 that goes a bit over 7# with scope and butt pack.

I would prefer it be a .308, but it is what it is. I bought it mainly as semi-scout rifle. I have a VXII variable on it and it shoots better than it should... and knocks the poop out of me every time I squeeze one off. The 100 gr Sierras are great for plinking and are nice and mild, though.

I just picked up a Stevens 200 for $350 bucks i dont think you can beat it for a hunting rifle. I dont care for factory camo but the camo on it looks very nice.