• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight action

Nivium

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2020
Looking for a very lightweight action for a sheep gun. Short action, standard bolt face, probably going to be a 308 or 6.5 bun (open to suggestions, but this is going on a proof takeoff stock weighing 18 oz, so trying to keep recoil down). I don't care to bring the steel vs. titanium action argument here (my titanium 737 is as smooth or smoother than my steel actions), but I'm inclined toward steel for this build simply because of price. Big fan of DLC coating, so would love to see some DLC options, but it looks like not many companies offer DLC by default on actions anymore, and I'm not going to send an action off for coating or nitriding by someone who didn't build the action itself. Love integral pic mount and lug, but not deal breakers. Low weight is king here. What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance

Pierce engineering skele-ti 18oz, or their shadow steel 21oz. The shadow is available in nitride finish for $1150. I am very partial to my Bat bumblebee action, however they're quite pricey.

Last edited:
I don't know which stock you have but the Proof elevation takeoff stock I bought was bedded in the recoi lug. It was meant to fit an Origin.

Terminus offers many if not all of their actions with DLC finish. Their Zeus model has integrated rail and lug as standard. Threaded trigger pins too. Owner and Army Infantry Veteran Joel Russo is here on SH, he answers the phones, and the CS is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCGunner84
Looks like Tikka is 30 oz with the stock trigger. I'm not a fan of them for comp/hard use but for a hunting rifle they are by far the best bang for the buck. You can also skip a rail and go direct mount rings to the integral rail. I know there are a ton of cool fluted things out there but I don't think they really gain you anything over a Tikka. I don't even own one anymore but if I was looking to do what you are that would be the easy button.

Reactions: gnochi
BAT bumblebee is smooove…..

IMG_0159.jpeg

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Terminus offers many if not all of their actions with DLC finish, integrated rail and lug as standard. Threaded trigger pins too. Owner and Army Infantry Veteran Joel Russo is here on SH, he answers the phones, and the CS is great.

Zeus action is the only one with an integrated rail and the Apollo lite doesn't have an integrated lug.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I don't know which stock you have but the Proof elevation takeoff stock I bought was bedded in the recoi lug. It was meant to fit an Origin.
That is correct, but Zermatt actions aren't my cup of tea. Just have to re-bed

Bat bumblebee, bat vesper, kelbly nanook, falkor LW7, lone peak alpine cut just to name a few

Reactions: Nivium
Bat bumblebee, bat vesper, kelbly nanook, falkor LW7, lone peak alpine cut just to name a few
Yeah, I love kelbly actions and don't think there is anything smoother. The falkor looks awesome but I'm hard pressed to find any feedback on it (or any falkor actions for that matter)

It’s hard to argue with the kelbly actions for sure and I believe the nanook is one of the more perfect actions for a hunting build. I don’t own a falkor but have a buddy with a few and loves them. My smith really likes them as well and is building off one personally, and I got my hands on them at shot as well and talked with them. They were very smooth. I’ll be building something off one shortly. Just need to finalize the build details

It’s hard to argue with the kelbly actions for sure and I believe the nanook is one of the more perfect actions for a hunting build. I don’t own a falkor but have a buddy with a few and loves them. My smith really likes them as well and is building off one personally, and I got my hands on them at shot as well and talked with them. They were very smooth. I’ll be building something off one shortly. Just need to finalize the build details
Good to know, I'll add it to my list for the next lightweight build. Thanks

Reactions: Matt_3479
Kelbly Atlas Lite and Nanook.
Defiance anTi and anTiX
Can order a Defiance Rebel with sheep hunter port and have them lighten it with extra deep flutes, etc. and get it down to 25 ounces.

Defiance Ruckus
Manners PH mini chassis
Bartlein #13 CFW 20”
M5 dbm
Hawkins hunter mag
Premier LT 3-15x50
6 creed by Shaen Rifles

70605296938__F73DD0BB-E296-4E9D-99EE-260CBD5AE989.jpeg
IMG_3020.jpeg

Gotta know the weight in a lightweight thread
It’s 10.3 with sling, atlas bipod, loaded 3 round mag. I’m sure changing the Kahles to a lighter scope would shed some weight. Have a March 3-24 that I am thinking about swapping.

It’s a 6.5 SAUM.

It’s 10.3 with sling, atlas bipod, loaded 3 round mag. I’m sure changing the Kahles to a lighter scope would shed some weight. Have a March 3-24 that I am thinking about swapping.

It’s a 6.5 SAUM.
Awesome. How do you like that March?

Reactions: rope
Awesome. How do you like that March?
I really like it, and should by more of them. Used primarily for hunting and used it in 2 classes taught by Lowlight & SS Taylor.

I really like it, and should by more of them. Used primarily for hunting and used it in 2 classes taught by Lowlight & SS Taylor.
Good to hear. I was able to look through one recently and it was great, but nice to hear about them in action. It's on the list

Moose, Caribou and bear have not complained yet.