• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lightweight AR barrel with mid length gas system?

Double-edged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2002
Where can I get one? It seems like no one stocks them...everything seems to be special order if you depart from a medium contour barrel.

Re: Lightweight AR barrel with mid length gas system?

the reason why you cant find a lightweight barrel in a midlength other than a custom is because the normal diameter for a gas block is .750 at the seating area. In order to make a lightweight in a midlength is that they would have to build up the area for the gas block.

If you really want a lightweight midlength I would suggest having a med contour or standard turned down forward of the gas block and rearward of it as well. I dont think that there really is that much difference in weight going to a lightweight versus a standard, I know there is considderable savings over a heavy barrel.

I've been looking for a lighweight or midweight barrel for my AR and can't seem to find any in stock.
I have a heavy barrel with no flash hider. Any recommendations on who to get to turn my barrel and thread it for a flash hider

I have a lightweight 14.5" middy from CMMG that I got a little over a year ago. It rocks. I know there are some people who don't like CMMG, but overall there seem to be way more people that like them. Bad news is that they're backordered on these barrels for a long time. You can keep your eyes out for a used one though.

Everyone is backordered forever or just ain't got 'em and don't know when they'll have 'em.

Still lookin'. I still think it'd be better/cheaper to turn my barrel than get a new one.

I just ordered a lightweight with a gas block from Model1sales.
They said 6 to 8 weeks....I can live with that.
I figure use my rifle like it is for now and when the new barrel comes in, do the swap, then start shopping for a gunsmith/machinist to turn my Hbar.

Does Model 1 sella midlength? I thought they only sold carbine or rifle set ups.

Check with ADCO to get the RRA barrel...thats where I got my upper and he seems to be on the shortlist.

it's expensive but noveske's 14.5" afgan barrel has a midlength gas tube. Its a medium barrel but feels as ligh as a 16" m4 upper.