• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Lightweight Carbine Revised

salmonaxe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2007
Lynnwood, WA
Revised Carbine. I don't have anything better than a bathroom scale, but I'm pretty sure this thing is under 6lbs. Shows 5 1/2lbs on the bathroom scale. Balance point is just behind the barrel nut.

Second pic shows my concept for an integrated front sight on a surefire X300 when run in the 12 o'clock position. 12 is a great position since you aren't adding anymore to the overall profile of the carbine. Plus anything your optic sees the light will illuminate. Finally this position leaves as much of the handguard free as possible. Getting farther out on the forearm allows for better recoil control and faster driving of the rifle from target to target. Front sight is like a fixed pistol sight in essence. So far it's not moved at all. It's been banged into barricades for a few weeks now.

Final pic is of the old carbine configuration. The new Aimpoint T-1 seems to offer an actually wider field of view even though the viewing area of the optic was reduced to about 2/3 the size of the original M2. I guess this is because the optic is shorter and has less crap protruding from it.

Re: Lightweight Carbine Revised

Looks fantastic and without going w. a plastic moe handguard of some sort I would imagine that is about as light as it gets.

-Bravo Co 5.56 NATO 14.5" lightweight 1/7 twist HPT/MP M4 Feedramps .625" gasblock diameter.
-Pinned and Welded Vltor VC-1 Compensator
-Spikes Tactical .625" low profile gas block. Barrel dimpled for both setscrews. (Hard to find a .625" gasblock.)
-BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI)
-BCM M4 Upper receiver
-BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 Latch
-Troy Industries TRX Extreme Battle Rail - 13 Inch Model
-Tactical Machining Lower Receiver
-WOA lower parts kit minus trigger
-RRA NM 2-stage trigger
-Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
-Magpul MIAD Grip
-Vltor Single Attachment Sling Endplate (SASE), Loop
-Vltor Carbine Modstock
-Vltor Buffer tube
-Rock River M4 H Buffer
-BCM Carbine Buffer Spring
-Surefire X300 w/XT07 Remote Dual Switch Assembly
-Aimpoint T1 Micro in Larue M4 QD Mount LT660
-Magpul MBUS Rear Sight
-My concept front sight Surefire x300 bezel mounted

NICE! I really need to get me one of those stocks on my VTAC setup! I like the heck out of that Front Sight idea! Let me know how that works out for you. Where did you get it from? Did you make that yourself? I moved my Front Sights back behind the lights on both of my VTAC carbines, even though it barely sticks up over the light! This seems like it would work very well and give you a little extra sight radius you'd loose by bringing it in behind the light.

Yep, I made it myself. So far it hasn't moved and the blade is pretty much identical in thickness to a standard A2 front sight post.

My main reason for doing it is because I wanted to run the XT07 on the Surefire X300. Both so I can run a tape switch AND have the lockout feature. I really like the thumb over hold, and with the front sight placed in a position to allow for a thumb over hold, it was terribly far back. It would have been even farther back if I'd decided to run my tape switch at 12 o'clock.

Currently my tape switch is still in the old position because I didn't want to change too many things at once. (Kinda fucks me up.) I use thumb over in non lowlight situations. Once I feel fairly comfortable with the setup, I might change the tape switch position.

I do a tactical move and shoot every Friday. Since it's scored I haven't just run irons on it. But I figure that the front sight will see enough abuse from hitting barricades and such, that I can get a sense of it's durability.

I like it a lot. Probably just as much if not more than my Comp M2's. It kinda feels like it has a better field of view since the casing isn't as fat as the M2's.