• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight Hunting Action

chutinlead

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Wyoming
I'm looking for an action for a lightweight short mag hunting rifle. Priorities would be as follows:
Short action
Stainless steel
<$1400
Less than 90⁰ bolt throw
Weight
Nitrided/DLC coated
Integrated Rail/split

I've been looking at the Anti-X and like most everything except the 90⁰ bolt throw and short lever looking like it causes some scope clearance issues and nitrided, it's a little more than I want to spend.

That leads me to the Ruckus GA hunter or ultralight, which seems like a good compromise.

Also strong competitors are the new Kelbly Nanook and Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti.

I like the mechanical ejector of the Nanook, and the shorter bolt throw.

I wonder if I would care that the rail sections aren't integrated on the Apollo as the are pinned and use larger 8-32 screws.

Current plan is either Manners LHR or MDT HNT26 with a 7SS Carbon6 20" prefit. If you have used any combination of these parts I would be interested to know how it worked out and your thoughts.

Take a look at Lone Peak Fuzion with alpine port. Integrated 20moa cant. They make a fine fine action

Reactions: BCX
Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti is the easy choice if you want a 60 degree

I only see the alpine port on their Ti action. Do they offer it in the stainless?
West Texas Ordnance Caprock is a Lone Peak with the open top in stainless, but its a 90 degree

Terminus Apollo Lite/Ti is the easy choice if you want a 60 degree

West Texas Ordnance Caprock is a Lone Peak with the open top in stainless, but its a 90 degree
Where is the best place to get one? Anywhere with a SH discount?

Nothing will come close to the anti in weight, but you’ll have to decide just how light weight you want. I prefer the standard (non-X) anti used in combo with the pinned talley lightweight rings. The Ruckus ultralight is probably a pretty good compromise. The short handle of the anti with the 90 deg throw means it tucks nicely down the side of the rifle. Compare that with the terminus, which sticks out prominently.

The lone peaks are nice, but unless you're going ti, theyre all heavy.

I love the HNT26, but i dont think they make a flush magazine for the short mag cartridges. Maybe the Terminus billet Saum mags would work, not sure. I hate protruding mags on hunting rifles.

Here’s the HNT26 with a Lone Peak Razor, 20” Sendero lite Proof, and a Vortex LHT 4.5-22. 7lbs 12 oz without the can.

E7AD7482-72E9-4EE0-99D2-C72A520D6A73.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: rookie7 and 260284
Nothing will come close to the anti in weight, but you’ll have to decide just how light weight you want. I prefer the standard (non-X) anti used in combo with the pinned talley lightweight rings. The Ruckus ultralight is probably a pretty good compromise. The short handle of the anti with the 90 deg throw means it tucks nicely down the side of the rifle. Compare that with the terminus, which sticks out prominently.

I love the HNT26, but i dont think they make a flush magazine for the short mag cartridges. Maybe the Terminus billet Saum mags would work, not sure. I hate protruding mags on hunting rifles.

Here’s the HNT26 with a Lone Peak Razor, 20” Sendero lite Proof, and a Vortex LHT 4.5-22. 7lbs 12 oz without the can.

View attachment 7802850
The Apollo advertises 20oz where as the Anti-X claims 22.1oz. Is that not including the scope rails or recoil lug?

I think I'll skip on the lone peak and full titanium actions are out of the question.

What mags do you run in the HNT26? That's a nice looking rifle and looks very similar to what I had imagined(except the gold action color lol).

I hadn't seen the terminus mags before so maybe I'll call terminus and get the scoop on if they'll work in the HNT26.

The Apollo advertises 20oz where as the Anti-X claims 22.1oz. Is that not including the scope rails or recoil lug?

I think I'll skip on the lone peak and full titanium actions are out of the question.

What mags do you run in the HNT26? That's a nice looking rifle and looks very similar to what I had imagined(except the gold action color lol).

I hadn't seen the terminus mags before so maybe I'll call terminus and get the scoop on if they'll work in the HNT26.
I remember looking at the terminus a while back and seem to recall they were 24-26 oz. Now it says 20, and I'm skeptical just from its shape to be honest. Oversized steel bolt, steel receiver with a bridged e-port, etc. Love terminus actions and like dealing with Joel, not trying to slight him at all. Happy to be wrong, because 20 oz puts it within .5 oz of a Lone Peak Razor Ti on my scale. The anti receivers I've had in the shop weight 21.5 oz (all shorts, all non-x versions).

While I like gold, this one isnt gold colored, its brown. Lol. Just goofy lighting. I have a personal anti action, I just havent barreled it yet. When I do, it will go in the HNT

MDT sells a polymer flush fit 3 rd mag for 308 sized cartridges. Same rifle as above.

DB90D646-B4BE-44B4-95C8-2B666087D119.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember looking at the terminus a while back and seem to recall they were 24-26 oz. Now it says 20, and I'm skeptical just from its shape to be honest. Oversized steel bolt, steel receiver with a bridged e-port, etc. Love terminus actions and like dealing with Joel, not trying to slight him at all. Happy to be wrong, because 20 oz puts it within .5 oz of a Lone Peak Razor Ti on my scale. The anti receivers I've had in the shop weight 21.5 oz (all shorts, all non-x versions).

While I like gold, this one isnt gold colored, its brown. Lol. Just goofy lighting. I have a personal anti action, I just havent barreled it yet. When I do, it will go in the HNT

MDT sells a polymer flush fit 3 rd mag for 308 sized cartridges. Same rifle as above.

View attachment 7802880
I just got off the phone with Joel and he confirmed that 20oz includes the recoil lug and scope rails. Also he said that his 3rd SAUM mag does fit in the HNT26 and has 3.0" total inside capacity.

View attachment 7802850

Just a heads up, if it needs to be flush the Hawkins PRC mags barely fit inside the HNT26 but I did not check feeding with them. I typically run the Accurate 3 rounders which actually hold 4.

Just curious, why no titanium for a hunter?

Makes sense, I’m looking to do something similar in 6.5prc or 7saum
I currently have a Tikka 7SAUM but am ready to go full custom and the 7SS will hopefully let me do that in a short action with similar performance to a 7SAUM in a medium action.

I currently have a Tikka 7SAUM but am ready to go full custom and the 7SS will hopefully let me do that in a short action with similar performance to a 7SAUM in a medium action.
I’d like to go 7mm but already load for the 6.5prc and really don’t want to gather components for another caliber right now.

D2E9B3FE-834F-4588-9BF4-97B53CA6EBBC.jpeg

Here’s my sub 8lb 300wsm built of a Defiance Sheep Port intermediate length action and the matching Defiance bottom metal. Plenty of room in the box to set long bullets out far.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
Just a heads up, if it needs to be flush the Hawkins PRC mags barely fit inside the HNT26 but I did not check feeding with them. I typically run the Accurate 3 rounders which actually hold 4.
Are the mags you're referring to their newer Hunter Mags? I saw their old AICS mags on their website, but not on any of their distributors.

Reactions: chutinlead
Well I found a MDT HNT26 in stock at Altus with no tax and a free shipping coupon. Next to order action and barrel and then decide if I want to spring for the Trigger Tech Diamond Flat or Special Flat trigger. I am pretty sure I want a single stage trigger, but I am getting used to the 2 stage that came on my Sig Cross.

Well I found a MDT HNT26 in stock at Altus with no tax and a free shipping coupon. Next to order action and barrel and then decide if I want to spring for the Trigger Tech Diamond Flat or Special Flat trigger. I am pretty sure I want a single stage trigger, but I am getting used to the 2 stage that came on my Sig Cross.
I couldn’t imagine going below 1 pound on a hunting rig. I just bought a two stage special for my hunting build for that reason

Reactions: Supersubes
I couldn’t imagine going below 1 pound on a hunting rig. I just bought a two stage special for my hunting build for that reason
But would you ever want it over 2lbs? I'm trying to figure out if I want the option to be able to turn it down to 4oz or up to 3.5lbs.