• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight Hunting Build

My 260rem I had built by Greg Tannel weighs 6lbs even, when I have the small scope on it, when I want to shoot longer than 300 yards I put my Nightforce on it and shoot it regular out to 1000 yards

Specs
-Stiller ptrdator action w/ DBM
- McMillan hunter edge stock
- jewel trigger
- Lilja 1-8 21” #2 contour

Attachments

• CB4B284D-96BC-46FA-A395-D9E210B56BDC.jpeg
    CB4B284D-96BC-46FA-A395-D9E210B56BDC.jpeg
    928.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 91F3FFBE-AC53-4FAB-8B7E-7ADFD48D8CD5.jpeg
    91F3FFBE-AC53-4FAB-8B7E-7ADFD48D8CD5.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 64
My 260rem I had built by Greg Tannel weighs 6lbs even, when I have the small scope on it, when I want to shoot longer than 300 yards I put my Nightforce on it and shoot it regular out to 1000 yards

Specs
-Stiller ptrdator action w/ DBM
- McMillan hunter edge stock
- jewel trigger
- Lilja 1-8 21” #2 contour
Don't you know they have to be over 10 pounds to be considered a rifle? Nice gun, that would be a sweet mountain rifle. Might as well post mine.
Borden Timberline with Hinged floorplate
Hs precision stock
Jewell hvr
#5 contour 26 inch krieger with cerakoted flutes chambered in 6.5x284. 296nk

Attachments

• 20200623_230814.jpg
    20200623_230814.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 43
Don't you know they have to be over 10 pounds to be considered a rifle? Nice gun, that would be a sweet mountain rifle. Might as well post mine.
Borden Timberline with Hinged floorplate
Hs precision stock
Jewell hvr
#5 contour 26 inch krieger with cerakoted flutes chambered in 6.5x284. 296nk
I know, I’m different! You have a very nice rifle.

Reactions: zaprosper

My Kimber Montana in 358win with a Swarovski 3-10x42 ontop.

I guess lightweight means different things for different shooters. Anything 7-10lbs all up is average IMO. Anything over 10lbs scoped is heavy IMO for a hunting rifle.

Yeah, I guess lightweight is relative. My 9ish pound rifle is "lightweight" cause the components were light options. For mine, the components I chose were light by comparison. I would have to cut features to go lighter, except the action, I could get a titanium or something.

I am building a lightweight rifle I hope to keep at 7 pounds, maybe under 8 pounds. The scope is what will push me a bit.

Hard to get lighter than the Kimber Montana without spending a ton. I built a hunting rig with a Kahles 3.5-10 x 50mm scope, Talley lightweight rings, and a Kimber Montana in .270 Win that weighed 6 lbs 7 oz

Kimber 84M Hunter will be close for a few hundred less.

Was looking to start a lighter weight hunting build. Deer & Pigs mostly <300 yds but the rifle may be used for some ram or elk in the future.
Feel free to share any $.02 on what you would recommend or what you use. I somewhat decided on 6.5 CM, wasn't sure if I should move into Nosler.
Manners PRS2 or TF4A. Proof Barrel 18"-20". Not sure yet on action work and would most likely run a Razor 4.5 or AMG or NXS 5.5-22. Theres potential for a clip on thermal.
What does the hide think?
I was thinking something along the lines of this:
View attachment 7359519
I am working on a Mauser M18 which is 6.6 lbs in 6.5 PRC. Has a good trigger, light weight bbl but good ( if you like pd bbls). Handloads I get dime groups. The standard calibers are 22” bbl Factory Warrant 10 years and guaranteed to shoot 5 shot sub MOA factory ammo. Yet to be proven to me. Great price Euro Optic shipped, Tax, etc $528. Make a good truck gun. I’m not a fan of light short rifles that kick, barrels heat etc. but most people today want this. I’ll give it to my Grandson.

Reactions: RC556
Hard to get lighter than the Kimber Montana without spending a ton. I built a hunting rig with a Kahles 3.5-10 x 50mm scope, Talley lightweight rings, and a Kimber Montana in .270 Win that weighed 6 lbs 7 oz

Kimber 84M Hunter will be close for a few hundred less.

This. The Mountain Ascent guns are unbelievably light. Short actions are sub 6lbs scoped and slung with the right optic. Guys try to build lighter but start chasing features and then all of a sudden they've just built another 8-9lb rifle.

Tikka t3 7 mm mag. Don’t need a brake and will kill anything in NA. I’m a fat ass and can pack it all day at 9,000 feet, plus a light pack. I run vortex hs scopes on all my hunting rigs, except my 6.8. It wears a vortex LH 1.5-8. I don’t need to see the ticks on what I shoot. 90% of game is killed within 150 yards. The last 15 deer I’ve killed have been less than 75 yards, but I’m a sneaky fuck.

Reactions: AllAheadFull
I was going to go custom but then I got a screaming deal on a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon. I have Browning shotguns (that I love) so I thought I'd give it whirl. I was pleasantly surprised how accurate it is. 160gr Noslers at 3,100 fps 7mm-mag. It weighs 6lbs 13oz and add 1lb for my scope and a few more for my sling- I'm right at 8lbs. I do a lot of walking in Eastern Montana with that rig. I would like to go even lighter some day..

qLg5w9x.jpg

One of my load development targets
Ag9Jww3.jpg

Reactions: Dai Bando
It's either the .300WM Tikka T3 Lite dropped into a Grayboe Terrain w/ Talley lightweights and a modest optic, or a 16" AR in an ARP barreled 6.8spcII for me. Hard to go wrong with some of the lightweight factory offerings from Tikka, Bergara, and others these days for a hunting rig.

Tools.jpg

So in your OP you mention lightweight but you also throw a razor on top of it. That does not make sense to me at all. When asked about weight, you mention lighter than your AR but fail to tell us how much your AR weighs.

Without much useful info, I would suggest any of the following for a build.

Cartridge:
6.5CM
7-08
6.5PRC

Action:
Win70
Sako85
Tikka T3X
(Or any custom if you want to go custom)

Barrel:
Any barrel of your choice since you already have a good barrel length in mind.

Stock:
EH1
BRAVO
GA composite

Trigger:
This could personal depending on if you like single stage or two stage. Pick whichever decent trigger you like.

If you go Winchester or Tikka, just get a spring update and they'll be real good.

Glass:
AMG
NX8
LRHS/LRTS
MK5

I think this pretty much covers it...

Good luck!

It's either the .300WM Tikka T3 Lite dropped into a Grayboe Terrain w/ Talley lightweights and a modest optic, or a 16" AR in an ARP barreled 6.8spcII for me. Hard to go wrong with some of the lightweight factory offerings from Tikka, Bergara, and others these days for a hunting rig.

View attachment 7369738
I rock a 6.8 for black tail and a tikka lite 7mm mag for out of state trips.

Reactions: MNhunter1
Surprised no one has mentioned Defiance anTi action:

Defiance anTi
Triggertech special
Proof barrel
30 Oz carbon stock from Manners, Stocky's etc
bedded or screwed in should come in around 6 lb to 7 lbs depending on whether you go for BDL or DBM and what rails, etc you put on.

For even lighter you can opt for a Manners UC, Proof Lightweight Hunter or McMillan Hunters Edge class stock and save another 10 Oz or so.

Here is my current in process build from PVA:

Bighorn Origin
20" Paradigm Carbon barrel chambered in 300WSM
KRG Bravo Stock
Timney Elite Hunter trigger
Spartan Valhalla bipod
Mark 5 HD 3.6-18
StingerWorx Hunter suppressor

Should weigh right around 11-12lbs with everything mentioned, which is my personal ideal weight for elk, deer, bear etc here in MT.

I am have one built now
AG composite stock(really nice)
Defiance action
Krieger 24” fluted barrel #5
TT trigger
280ai chamber
Aluminum floor plate didn’t want a box mag on a hunting rig, just me
Z3 scope light weight rings
Will post how much she weighs in at when done
Should be all I need