• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight hunting rifle

samson7x

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2014
I've been thinking about options for a lightweight hunting rifle and have found 2 that interest me. I'm going with 6.5 creed for caliber and will be using a suppressor so threaded is a plus. Any input on these or others I should consider?

1. Barrett Fieldcraft - 5.2lbs
2. Kimber Adirondack - 4.8lbs

I'll be getting a Barrett Fieldcraft personally. It's already 5/8-24 threaded and TBAC told me the threads are perfectly fine for suppressor use.

Barrett. I’ve owned a pile of Kimbers and one Barrett and I’d go fieldcraft every time.

I've been interested in an ultralight rifle too and the Kimber's 3-Pos safety and CRF appeals to me but their lackluster reputation on quality/accuracy and customer service has made me take a serious look at the Barrett. I'm interested in opinions on the function between the two: smoothness of operation/feeding, trigger quality, balance etc.

Barrett for Out of the box consistent accuracy with no fiddle farking around. I own 5 Montana’s and a Mt Ascent. The Mt Ascent was an impulse buy on a Sportsman’s Whorehouse closout last month and the only one out of the box that didn’t have bedding or assembly issues. All the others got bedding and or crown work and three had front action screws dead heading into the action. Internal barrel finish is suspect as well. I don’t own a borescope but Helen Keller could pass a patch through the Kimbers and a Barrett...and she’d pick the Barrett every time.

The Barrett....take out of box install scope go shoot. Assembly and bedding are perfect. Crown is perfect. Trigger is a Timney so easily adjusted. I’m sure there’s a turd out there somewhere but I haven’t seen or heard of it.

Last edited:
My Barrett is a 6 creed and it’s flinging several different factory loads to a similar point of impact across the weight spectrum and all sub moa. 87 vmax Hornady in the summer for ground hogs, 108 eld Hornady for deer and coyotes. I have a box of Alpha brass sitting here that I’ll likely stoke with 105 hpbt’s come spring.

Ya gonna kill shit or ya just wanna show yer pretty.... I should not slander Kimber many like their pretty guns.