• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Lightweight Hunting Rifles

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I have been moving from my heavy rifles to carbon fiber stocks and sporter barrels.

Have a couple Rem 600s (one in a McMillan Edge and a Model 7 in a Manners carbon fiber EH8. Have a couple other CF stocks waiting for actions and barrels.

So, if you have a light rifle, i woukd live to hear about it.

These two are some of the lightest rifles we've done at right around 6 lbs. The top rifle is a Pierce titanium receiver, Proof carbon fiber wrapped barrel chambered in .300 WM and Manners MCS-T Elite Hunter. The bottom is a Tikka T3 with Proof research carbon fiber wrapped barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and Kiwi Composite carbon fiber stock.

_DSC8117.jpg
_DSC8309.jpg

What color cerakote is on that .300WM? I have a similar rifle being built and that color looks sweet. Thanks!

These two are some of the lightest rifles we've done at right around 6 lbs. The top rifle is a Pierce titanium receiver, Proof carbon fiber wrapped barrel chambered in .300 WM and Manners MCS-T Elite Hunter. The bottom is a Tikka T3 with Proof research carbon fiber wrapped barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and Kiwi Composite carbon fiber stock.

View attachment 6893535View attachment 6893536

Thats some top tier shit right there!!

Reactions: JFComfort
i went to like weight years ago my first was a rem model 7 260 when they first cam out shot over 40 deer with it shoots one hole groups, i retired it when kimber came out with the montana 300wsm, next was a kimber mt assent in 280ai, i just picked up a christianson ridge line in 300wm plus other light weight customs light weight is the only way to go. when you get old the lighter you like it cloths boots gear period.

Reactions: stephen r
Barrett Fieldcraft? I've heard nothing bad about them and read lots of positive reviews. Tight twists and 3" mag length. Some short, some longer, some threaded, pretty damn affordable for an ultra light, backed by a good name in the arms industry.
https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/
24hourcampfire has a variety of threads RE: range reports and weights.
I'm interested in a Barrett, but I've already got a mag-fed Pierce Ti in 7mm WSM. It's nice, but I don't need much of an excuse to get another rifle.

I'm getting excellent results with a Christensen Ridgeline 300 WM. I'm launching 215 Bergers at 2980 fps. I've shot groups as small as .25 MOA out to 330 yards.

The glass is a zeiss V6 3-18x50 in Hawkins hybrid rings. It weighs in at 9.5 lbs with a Harris bipod and three rounds in the mag. It is very packable and long range capable.

Reactions: Wyzrd and scale
I'm getting excellent results with a Christensen Ridgeline 300 WM. I'm launching 215 Bergers at 2980 fps. I've shot groups as small as .25 MOA out to 330 yards.

The glass is a zeiss V6 3-18x50 in Hawkins hybrid rings. It weighs in at 9.5 lbs with a Harris bipod and three rounds in the mag. It is very packable and long range capable.
Brent, How do you like the glass and turrets on the Zeiss? I considered that scope before. How does the low light compare to ATACR 4-16 50?

Pat where is the famous Surgeon built 308 slayer that i followed w the 155 Scenar thread? You made me a believer w that bullet as i have 12 big game kills w that bullet.

Pat where is the famous Surgeon built 308 slayer that i followed w the 155 Scenar thread? You made me a believer w that bullet as i have 12 big game kills w that bullet.

I know you're gonna say, "say it ain't so', but it's getting a new barrel in 22 Creedmoor.....;)

Here's a few of mine.
All GA Precision builds
Top to bottom:
6.5 SAUM
6 Creed
6 Creed

What type of sling is that on all of your rifles?
They look pretty handy.

Went with a turn key for mine.. Weatherby Wilderness in .270

Mine came in right at 9.5# with scope.

Also the Montana Gun Slings are fantastic. Ended up with several this year after carrying this gun around central Oregon with one for 6 days.

Xtreme Titanium action
Proof Barrel
McMillan CF stock
30-06 Serengeti. 200g ELD-Xs at just under 2800FPS

Attachments

• 69009EE8-A83A-4213-924B-761358A24573.jpeg
    69009EE8-A83A-4213-924B-761358A24573.jpeg
    965.6 KB · Views: 248
Figured it was time to build a light(ish) rifle for backpack hunting since all of my big caliber rifles are 13+lbs. Just ordered a .338 blank from Bartlein yesterday for a lightweight build. Light palma with fluting, 29" overall, 28" finish length for a 338 RUM. Ordering a carbon fiber Manners stock next week. Hoping it comes in around 6.5 lbs w/o optics.

Reactions: JFComfort
I’m not the type of person to tell anyone what they can and can’t do. I know this isn’t what you want to hear, and it’s just my opinion. So take it for what it’s worth.

A sub 6 lb “long range” hunting rifle is almost an oxymoron, and isn’t exactly a recipe for consistent LR accuracy. If you want a sub 6 lb gun to shoot 500-600 yards (about all the farther I would recommend for that weight rifle), spend the money on quality optics and develop a consistent sub MOA load and learn how to shoot and read wind.

Any shooting over the 700ish yard mark and I’d aim for a rifle in the 7.25-8 lb base rifle weight. It’s that much easier to shoot.

.280AI
R700 LA BDL trued by AxisWorks
Alloy bolt shroud
TI firing pin and Wolfe spring
Carbon fiber bolt knob
26" 1:9" Proof Sendero w. Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH-1
Shilen Match trigger @ 1.5#
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins 30mm alloy medium rings
March F 3-24×52

8lbs 13oz all in.

Shoots in the .2s to .3s out to 1000+.

Before the scope swap

March mounted up

If you can shoot a light rifle accurately under stress after running to the top of a ridge and the buck of a lifetime is bounding away more power to you! You are a better man than I am. I like a heavier barrel to help steady my aim but then that is how I grew up, was trained, and have hunted for 40+ years. That is why I will not and am not criticizing anyone's choice of a hunting rifle. I have had to have rifles fit to me because I am so big, average rifle stock lengths are to short for me. I know I can't do the upper scenario because I have tried it above timberline when I lived in Wyoming and had to let a Mule deer of my dreams go because I could not settle my breathing and crosshairs down for an ethical shot. It happens. That's hunting and I might not even have made the crest with a heavier rifle. But I know the way I hunted the majority of the time and went back to what I knew worked for me and my style of hunting. I'm a large man at 6'5" and at the time 235lbs. where a leaner man clearly might take more advantage of a lighter rifle. Just luging my big body up that Continental Divide was a major effort in and of itself. So that is why I always told the young hunters in my church to carry and use what works for them and not to try to mimic me. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses. Each individual needs to find what works best for them and take advantage of those strengths not try to copy what they read in magazines or see others do. Make it your own by modifying what you read or see with your strengths. Do not try to force yourself into others molds as you will not fit.

I think I've gone full circle on this one. I started with a sporter weight wood stocked hunting rifles and transitioned into the lighter weight rifles. I thought kimber nailed it with the Montana. Then I realized how much extra effort it took to shoot consistently, so I have since sold all of them and settled back into sporter weight guns. For me 6.5-7 lbs before the scope is ideal. FWIW I usually hike 5-6 miles a day.

Reactions: Wyzrd
Just under 6.25 pounds suppressed even with the 16 oz scope, 20 moa rail and rings.

Shoots factory 178 eldx at just over 2500 fps from the 16" barrel around 1 MOA atleast for 3 shots. ;) It's plenty capable for 500 yards and less.
7E9484ED-07E1-46B3-8753-D05BCBC3600B.jpeg

Last edited:
I settled on Kimber Montana's several years ago and have been happy since then. My .308 is 6 lbs, 11oz scoped, with 4 rounds and a sling, ready to hunt. My 7 WSM is just a tad heavier, ready to hunt. I picked up a 7mm-08 last year that I will most likely hang onto and it should be an oz or two heavier than the .308 when ready to hunt.

Reactions: stephen r
Just under 7 pounds suppressed even with the 16 oz scope, 20 moa rail and rings.

Shoots factory 178 eldx at just over 2500 fps from the 16" barrel around 1 MOA atleast for 3 shots. ;) It's plenty capable for 500 yards and less.
Is that 7mm-08?

Is that 7mm-08?

No sir its a .308.

Its not the lightest one I got but at 6.8 pounds with scoped and including a TBAC ultra 7 on there its not too heavy either. :)

If I want to go super light I grab the Kimber Montana 358 win for my 300 yards and in rifle that goes 4.4 pounds including a scope.

Just under 7 pounds suppressed even with the 16 oz scope, 20 moa rail and rings.

en2q5RX.jpg

I'm unfamiliar with the rifle. What rifle brand and model is this? Also are you using an adapter to get the right thread pitch for the TBAC?

I'm unfamiliar with the rifle. What rifle brand and model is this? Also are you using an adapter to get the right thread pitch for the TBAC?

Its a Kimber Montana cut back to 16.25" and yes I have a bushing to get it up to the 5/8X24 direct thread for the TBAC.

I wanted a light rifle I could hunt with. Cost less than $900 and weighs right at 7 lbs. with scope and strap (minus the can for cost and weight).

.308 Ruger Predator. 18" barrel. Shoots right around MOA with most loads, can do sub MOA with certain loads.

Shoots great. Nice little rifle to complement my 12lb. main bolt rig (Rem 700 SPS Tac with B&C stock and FFP glass).

Had to inlet the stock a bit with a rotary tool. Timney trigger is inbound.

Groups were taken on the first outing. About 15-20 MPH wind. For me, that's pretty impressive.

Hope to fill my tag with it in October and refill the freezer.
124360738122702601 (1).jpg
1658709497773303783.jpg8474292931665541589.jpg

Reactions: alaskalanche
Im in the process of building mine. It’s a rem 700 280 24 inch ai heavy sporter with a Boyd’s stock and a vortex gen 1 pst I have yet to weigh it. But I’m hoping that it’s no more than 8 to 9 pounds. Oh and a silencerco harvester

Mine is coming...the weight is the worst part. Short action Rem 700 6.5CM. McMillan carbon fiber stock. Will post proud pics when the big day arrives

09E229A5-5028-424D-A2F5-5D6E2BAD34EF.jpeg

6.2 pounds suppressed with a 16 oz Weaver 3-10 on it. Its really a 400 yard hunting rifle being as its a 16" barrel 308 win and shooting 178s at 2500 fps with factory ammo. But I was able to get hits at 1K on a 12" plate with it. With 11.5 Mils to work with I used just about all the elevation available to get there. :)Pleasure to carry though while hunting.

View attachment 6927450
6.2 pounds suppressed with a 16 oz Weaver 3-10 on it. Its really a 400 yard hunting rifle being as its a 16" barrel 308 win and shooting 178s at 2500 fps with factory ammo. But I was able to get hits at 1K on a 12" plate with it. With 11.5 Mils to work with I used just about all the elevation available to get there. :)Pleasure to carry though while hunting.
I would not want to stand downrange at 1,000 and catch those .308's LOL

HAHA...agreed as they are still super sonic (just barely) you wouldn't catch me out there with a baseball mitt pulling them out of the air. Fun for steel, but for hunting further out I gotta better options for that such as my 7 WSM that has a 175 ELDX going the same speed at 550 as the shorty 308 at the muzzle. But I can tell ya which one I want in my pack for a long sheep hunt. :)

Lightweight (7lb 1.1oz) : Kimber Montana 6.5 CM, 20" threaded barrel, Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36 B&C, Liberty Sovereign.
IMG_20180730_215345656~01.jpg

Chunkier (9lb 0.5oz) : Browning X-Bolt .30-06, 18.5" threaded barrel, Nikon Monarch 5 2-10x42 BDC, Same Liberty Sovereign.
IMG_20180730_215806962~01.jpg

I use Reloder 16 under Accubonds in both. 43.5gr in the 6.5 gets me ~2,735 fps with 140s, and 56gr in the '06 nets 2,690 fps with 180s. I know BCD reticles aren't cool, but those loads match up well with the respective scopes out to 400yds, which is as far as I'll shoot on meat anyway.

Here's the Kimber last year before I had it cut and threaded. One through the lungs and out the other side at 140 yds, she trotted maybe 20 yds and tipped over.
IMG_20171121_122803804.jpg

Last edited: