• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight mount/rings for hunting R700

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I’m looking for a mount/rings for a Titanium R700 to be used as a mountain rifle. Any suggestions on lightest setups?

I’m looking at the Nightforce direct mount as it’s one piece instead of 2 or 3 but open to suggestions.

Do not need cant on it but doesn’t hurt to have.

Some of the best probably are from Near Manufacturing. He has two sites…the TRG one is a bit nicer.

I own a number of bases from him, and they are amazingly made.

Reactions: lennyo3034
Some of the best probably are from Near Manufacturing. He has two sites…the TRG one is a bit nicer.

I own a number of bases from him, and they are amazingly made.
I like those a lot. Any site where I can order from US?

The Hawkins Direct Mount rings are about 3.5 oz.
My last set of Nightforce Ultralight 1.0" 34mm rings were a little under 4 oz.
I've had many sets of Seekins and Hawkins Ultralight Tacticals that all run right at 4oz (heights were between 0.885" - 1.1" for 30, 34, & 35mm tubes).
The last few 20 moa rails I weighed were right around 2oz and were supplied with Lone Peak actions.

So looking at a difference of 3.5 oz vs 6 oz by going direct mount vs mount and base. Not huge but about the same price anyways.

Do the Near mounts have a recoil lug? Going on a 6CM so not a requirement but nice to have.

So looking at a difference of 3.5 oz vs 6 oz by going direct mount vs mount and base. Not huge but about the same price anyways.

Do the Near mounts have a recoil lug? Going on a 6CM so not a requirement but nice to have.
I have his picatinny bases, which have a recoil lug. I would imagine the integrated bases also have one. Call him, he’ll talk your ear off if you indicate you’re in a chatting mood. Great guy.

Reactions: Krazy_jim
Here’s a pic from the Nearmfg site. See the bottom text. Alphamount, Alphahunter I dunno, lots of names flying around but he’s a better engineer than a marketer haha.

I have a suspicion he could whip up whatever you want.

For pic rails I agree with others that M10/MBrace rings are sweet, but maybe aren’t the lightest. Darn easy to use, however.

7DFEF87D-3D99-4D55-89BC-A3031C2AC4A2.jpeg

Great balls of fire I’m on a tear here.

I just found this base alignment tool for aligning separate bases upon your receiver. Probably requires his rings (not exactly clear) but the general idea kicks ass. I’m surprised I haven’t ran across something like this.

The perfect tool probably is already out there and I’m just a dumbass.

And oh yeah, that gunsmith sells $14k M70-based rifles. He apparently knows what the heck he’s doing.

I went with a Murphy Ti L/A rail and seekins med high rings totaling just over 7 oz. I wanted a little stronger set up for my light weight magnum.

The Near Alphahunter does have lugs. I was searching around and found this review:

Here are pics for posterity:
1C292F05-0CF6-4FE3-9C6C-E619FB3D227D.jpeg
672734C0-41D7-42A1-94CE-371B798721D2.jpeg
B330EB95-634A-4167-BB46-65F32181E864.jpeg

On his picatinny bases the bolt holes on the base are oval so one can abut the lug to the edge of the ejection slot. I bet that’s how the Alphahunter is too.

Edit: yeah, you can see that in the upside-down pic above.

Reactions: Dough300
I don’t know why I’m doing this research. You’ve activated some deep scope-nerd inside me or something lol.

Here’s a pic of the Nightforce one piece mount. It also has a recoil lug and ovalized holes. Their stuff (pic rail too) is sort of a lower buck Near mount.

Although the NF comes in a 20moa version, I’ll bet dollars to donuts that Richard at Near can whip up whatever you so desire.

EAAD8D67-C3B8-43A4-B29E-683D0CF7D42D.jpeg

Great balls of fire I’m on a tear here.

I just found this base alignment tool for aligning separate bases upon your receiver. Probably requires his rings (not exactly clear) but the general idea kicks ass. I’m surprised I haven’t ran across something like this.

The perfect tool probably is already out there and I’m just a dumbass.

And oh yeah, that gunsmith sells $14k M70-based rifles. He apparently knows what the heck he’s doing.
Yeah, D'Arcy is one of, if not THE, best smith for flawless M70 based hunting rifles that will never fail to feed or fire. Pure perfection.

Reactions: carbonbased
I like the ARC rings a lot but they aren't exactly light when compared to something standard lightweight like Talley. While Talley isn't the sexiest option, they are pretty much the standard for light weight hunting rings and bases for a reason.

I ended up going with the direct mount. Got one for a killer price on eBay. 20 moa doesn’t bother me. Would prefer flat but no big deal.

What more of a concern is whether or not it will work it 8-40 screws, which is what my receiver is tapped for.