• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight mountain rifle

DrSteam26

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2020
I’ve got a Terminus Zeus short action 308 along with a manners LRH stock. Wondering the groups thoughts on going with purchasing a magnum bolt for the Zeus along with a 6.5 prc proof carbon barrel for a mountain gun is a solid option or would it be worth it to purchase a defiance ANtiX action and proof 6.5 prc carbon barrel. Any feed back on either action and the weight savings of going to the defiance is worth it. Thank you for everyone’s feed back.

Defiance AnTi in long action or their medium size and won’t have to worry about mag length, besides Defiance always works

Reactions: DrSteam26
Lightweight mountain rifles don’t wear carbon fiber barrels or Manners LRH stocks. They wear light contour bbls like A Bartlein 2b and slim, svelte stocks like the Manners Ultra Classic.

Reactions: st1650
Lightweight mountain rifles don’t wear carbon fiber barrels or Manners LRH stocks. They wear light contour bbls like A Bartlein 2b and slim, svelte stocks like the Manners Ultra Classic.
You’d better go lighter than a Bartlein 2B if you hope to save weight over a Proof. Plenty of lighter contours out there that make a 2B look like a heavy varmint / target profile!

6 lbs 5 oz 7SAUM. Yeah it could be a mountain rifle…

3FC41588-D4CA-4957-95D3-BC08CCA6248F.jpeg

I’ve got a Terminus Zeus short action 308 along with a manners LRH stock. Wondering the groups thoughts on going with purchasing a magnum bolt for the Zeus along with a 6.5 prc proof carbon barrel for a mountain gun is a solid option or would it be worth it to purchase a defiance ANtiX action and proof 6.5 prc carbon barrel. Any feed back on either action and the weight savings of going to the defiance is worth it. Thank you for everyone’s feed back.
I put together a 6.5 PRC with the 24” proof sendero prefit, anTi-X action, Hawkins hunter DBM and flush mag, and AG Alpine hunter stock. It weighed 6 lb 7 oz if I recall correctly.

buy a tikka.

work out

quit wasting money unless you have a dang sheep tag.

If you want super light, try a mesa ti, their stock, and a CF barrel. Maybe a Bart? f
Good buddy of mine helped set one up for a sheep hunt with those parts (unsure of DBM/mag system)
Was 5.5 lbs before scope.....

I prefer 7-8 lbs myself. Easier to shoot in a hurry if needed.

Order up a Bartlein in the Win featherweight option. Sure its carbon steel so what? Just paint it good or spray it with clear paint or both. Finish it at 23". Get a Mcmilan edge stock and your ready to go. Maybe even a old 700 ADL stock off of ebay. Dril out the butt and the forend. Put a Leupold 6x straight power on it. 308 or Creedmore. I would pick .308. For bigger game you can load up 180gr Partition thumpers.

I put together a 6.5 PRC with the 24” proof sendero prefit, anTi-X action, Hawkins hunter DBM and flush mag, and AG Alpine hunter stock. It weighed 6 lb 7 oz if I recall correctly.
That seems like a very manageable weight to carry in the mountains. I haven’t gotten my hands on a antix action yet how do you like those when compared to a Curtis or terminus? Thank you to all for your feed back

Order up a Bartlein in the Win featherweight option. Sure its carbon steel so what? Just paint it good or spray it with clear paint or both. Finish it at 23". Get a Mcmilan edge stock and your ready to go. Maybe even a old 700 ADL stock off of ebay. Dril out the butt and the forend. Put a Leupold 6x straight power on it. 308 or Creedmore. I would pick .308. For bigger game you can load up 180gr Partition thumpers.
Most likely going to stick w a 2.5-20 nx8 w tremor 3

That seems like a very manageable weight to carry in the mountains. I haven’t gotten my hands on a antix action yet how do you like those when compared to a Curtis or terminus? Thank you to all for your feed back
I wouldn't be able to compare, I've never owned a Curtis or Terminus or Kelby. All my customs have had Defiance actions (or GAP Templar which is made by Defiance). The anTi and anTi-X are very nice actions. The one I have pictured was coated with cerakote. I have a few that were black nitrided and I now prefer that to cerakote (for the action and bolt). Much smoother action cycling.

6 lbs 5 oz 7SAUM. Yeah it could be a mountain rifle…

View attachment 7899410
Great looking
buy a tikka.

work out

quit wasting money unless you have a dang sheep tag.

If you want super light, try a mesa ti, their stock, and a CF barrel. Maybe a Bart? f
Good buddy of mine helped set one up for a sheep hunt with those parts (unsure of DBM/mag system)
Was 5.5 lbs before scope.....

I prefer 7-8 lbs myself.
I wouldn't be able to compare, I've never owned a Curtis or Terminus or Kelby. All my customs have had Defiance actions (or GAP Templar which is made by Defiance). The anTi and anTi-X are very nice actions. The one I have pictured was coated with cerakote. I have a few that were black nitrided and I now prefer that to cerakote (for the action and bolt). Much smoother action cycling.
I’ve shot the Templar and liked it a lot ! GA puts together amazing rifles

You can source parts and have several smiths who build lasers do it WAY cheaper than GAP.

One smith who touches your rifle......

I have such a rifle that shoots two loads (different bullets, different powders) into .268 (5 shots) and .279 (5 shots) with only 70 rd down the tube? one load was for another rifle and just tried it out!
Yeah, I have that rifle. a Rem 700 no less. :LOL:
Have shot more than a couple barrels from that smith that are amazing.

Or just save your $ and just get a Tikka.
I have many rifles. When I need a light one that hammers for hunting, I just grab it. .308, 155 gr bullet at 2875.
Sucker is stock except Talley scope mounts.

If you need to spend $, get a nicer stock and that $10 spring. Shoot and kill stuff.

once in a lifetime shot. never get that opportunity again.

not sure i want a lightweight rifle. i'm talking 5lbs plus optics. less then 7lb all up.

get in shape. have r kit sorted. all of it.

rifle needs to do what it needs to do. same with optics. i'll carry it. packs heavy on the way it anyways

You guys might hate me for saying this, but I'mma say it anyway.
A HS Precision stock is a shit ton lighter than any other stock I've come across, and it has the aluminum bedding block in it.
Yea I know Manners are nice, but they are quite a bit heavier.
Don't get a pig barrel, get a sporter profile.
I've got a old rem 700 long action that is under 6 lbs, it's a 30-06 and is very nice on those long western style hunts.
And it will shoot well.
I've had kills on big Kansas white tails and Muleys out to 800 yards....yea, it's flat land so they can see you coming so there is never the 100 yard shot here.

Reactions: jrassy
Every ounce below 6lbs gets progressively more expensive, and/or comes with trade-offs.
Here is a detail of my last build, which I imagined to be my ideal rifle (mountain too) without any departures from ballistic capability or durability:

Bbl: K&P 7-08AI, #1 profile at 22"
Action: Model 7, worked over by LRI. Some amount of lightening work as they squared the ejection port opening and fluted the bolt.
Firing pin: Gretan Light option (significant savings here)
Stock: original McMillan KS stock: 27oz
Bottom metal: aluminum Rem M7
Trigger: TT Field

This ended up at 5.9lbs. I had thought it would be closer to 5, though.

Switching to a Manners Ultra Classic would get me to 5.25 i think. Chopping the barrel, converting to ADL, and a few other items would get me down to 5, but again, I'd me making some concessions.

TBH, while I have a very nice rifle... maybe i should have just bought a Seekins Element!

If you want to spend more money and still feel like a badass you could buy a Barrett fieldcraft

How light are we talking?
My experience is that the lighter you go, the more all the small things matter. Those small things cost money. Here's a 6.5 CM that's headed to sumfikistan to hunt this year. 6lbs. all in. Shoots in the .2 to .3 area. But the lightweights are harder to shoot accurately.
20220504_180143.jpg

My build going on right now is a BAT Vampire, Helix6 barrel, Mesa stock in 6.5x284. Looking for 8lbs loaded. I'm more comfortable at this weight.

How light are we talking?
My experience is that the lighter you go, the more all the small things matter. Those small things cost money. Here's a 6.5 CM that's headed to sumfikistan to hunt this year. 6lbs. all in. Shoots in the .2 to .3 area. But the lightweights are harder to shoot accurately.
View attachment 7901144
My build going on right now is a BAT Vampire, Helix6 barrel, Mesa stock in 6.5x284. Looking for 8lbs loaded. I'm more comfortable at this weight.
Who built it?

The new Howa Super Lite is like 4.6lbs and under $1400. Those numbers aren’t exact, but something along those lines.

I bought a Forbes 20b and had Southern Precision fit a Bartlien featherweight profile since the original barrel shot like shit.
It’s 6lbs total with the z3 3-10x and a diy rattle can paint job.
I probably have 2k into it excluding optic and honestly wouldn’t sell it for twice that.

Attachments

• E426EBCE-8B15-4CC0-9BA0-7BCED781E219.jpeg
    E426EBCE-8B15-4CC0-9BA0-7BCED781E219.jpeg
    863.5 KB · Views: 89