• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight, packable rain suit

Chief_Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2020
MS Gulf Coast/World Traveler
I'm looking for something to keep in my work bag in case I get caught in an afternoon downpour. Something to get me 1/4 mile from where I work to where I have to park. Also, want it to be something I can carry with me when I travel. I have Gore-Tex that I wear when I know I'll be needing it, but sometimes you can't plan for pop-up showers along the MS Gulf Coast.

I've had Frogg Toggs in the past, but they tore very easily.

Outdoor Research Apollo, Outdoor Research Dryline, Merrell Fallon, and Vortex Cloud Shaker are a few rain jackets that I've looked at (online). Not sure if they have pants or if I'd have to mix and match.

Appreciate thoughts and recommendations.

Reactions: Chief_Rick
I'm looking for something to keep in my work bag in case I get caught in an afternoon downpour. Something to get me 1/4 mile from where I work to where I have to park. Also, want it to be something I can carry with me when I travel. I have Gore-Tex that I wear when I know I'll be needing it, but sometimes you can't plan for pop-up showers along the MS Gulf Coast.

I've had Frogg Toggs in the past, but they tore very easily.

Outdoor Research Apollo, Outdoor Research Dryline, Merrell Fallon, and Vortex Cloud Shaker are a few rain jackets that I've looked at (online). Not sure if they have pants or if I'd have to mix and match.

Appreciate thoughts and recommendations.
Frog rigs are decent I use them a lot and not expensive

I’ve been very happy with my Kuiu Chugach rain gear. Expensive, but has been worth every penny when I needed it. Has held up well over the past 7 years of intermittent use. You can watch their outlet web site for occasional deals.

Attachments

• IMG_4903.jpeg
    IMG_4903.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Honestly anything from mountain hardware, marmot, Columbia, patagonia or similar that has a 2 layer membrane will be similar. You can get good deals on it and unless durability is a concern buying the super Gucci shit is kind of a waste of money. I have rain jackets from all of the above and rotate through them. Coming from the PNW with 8 months of rain, we just get used to having a jacket stashed away. I wouldn't pay more than $75-125 for one.

I find that after a lot of use, Goretex holds up better than say the Marmot Precip or whatever the patagonia is called.

Those work and keep you dry for short periods (less than 2 hrs of not torrential downpour).

Gore works better for longer (all day) repeatedly in my experience.

Everything I have owned from Mountain Hardware has been good stuff.
Plenty over the years.

That Gore top and bottom looks darn good for a bump in budget.

The other set that I'm currently considering are the Black Diamond Men's Stormline Stretch Full Zip Rain Pants and Men's Stormline Stretch Rain Shell. These are not Gore-Tex but are also slightly less expensive after discount.

Should I stick with the Gore-Tex?

Those Arc'teryx are more than I'm wanting to spend for what these will be used for. I whatever I chose stays folded up in the backpack/work bag.

I appreciate all the feedback.

The other set that I'm currently considering are the Black Diamond Men's Stormline Stretch Full Zip Rain Pants and Men's Stormline Stretch Rain Shell. These are not Gore-Tex but are also slightly less expensive after discount.

Should I stick with the Gore-Tex?

Those Arc'teryx are more than I'm wanting to spend for what these will be used for. I whatever I chose stays folded up in the backpack/work bag.

I appreciate all the feedback.

I have never used any of BD’s clothes.

Used a lot of their gear rock climbing, ice climbing, back country skiing, and ski mountaineering.

My guess is it will fit on the slim side as well.
Say, normal for sizing 20 yrs ago….

Everything of their’s I have used was top notch and functioned great.
The small issues I had, were taken care of 100% and quickly.

I bet over the years I have owned 15k + pretty easy of their gear.