• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lightweight PRS Scope Options

_Raining

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I understand that in general 99% of PRS shooters want heavy rifles to mitigate recoil to help with seeing impacts but unfortunately I am a broken man with fucked up wrists and being at a disadvantage is better then not participating at all.

So, what would be your best choice for a light weight PRS style scope (FFP,, tree reticle, exposed turrets, has capable magnification for PRS style shooting, etc).

Let's say budget is 4K.

Leupold Mk5 5-25x is 30 oz.

Nightforce NX8 4-32x is 28 oz.

Kahles/Schmidt/ATACR are all upwards of 34 oz.

The real question would be, is this the right place for you to save weight, or could you take the ounces from somewhere else?

what's heavy to you?
48oz razor gen 2
39oz atacr 7-35
35oz zco 420
35oz kahles 525i
29oz razor amg

also, are you gonna shoot 10-20 matches a year? or just occassionally? that 4k budget could go a long way to weight savings

what do you run for stock/chassis, action, barrel

what do you run for stock/chassis, action, barrel
My current setups are too heavy for me for PRS, I have used them on occasion for F Class shooting but just dry firing at home, lifting the 16-20lb rifles a few times causes wrist pain for a week. I was thinking of Lone Peak Titanium action (Vs Defiance Deviant), 22" Med Palma (Vs 26" MTU), Carbon Fiber (Elite Hunter?) Manners stock (Vs standard fill). I suppose I could look into carbon fiber wrapped barrel but I have read about problems with long strings of fire and mirage from the barrel being an issue.

I would highly suggest getting the vast majority of the weight savings from your barrel contour and a new manners carbon fiber stock. I had multiple top 10 finishes at 2 day matches with a rifle that weighed 14 lb. The scope weight savings isn't going to be that huge unless you are using a Vortex RZR gen II right now. The same goes for a lighter weight action. You can't save much weight getting a new action, but it costs a lot. You could save 4 pounds with a carbon stock and a medium palma barrel.

If I had to pick a lower weight scope I'd probably get a Vortex AMG or a Leupold Mark 5. Also, some of the lower magnification scopes like a 3-18 can be perfectly adequate for PRS and may weigh less.

Reactions: ddavis
Realistically, any of the mid magnification range optics are more than enough for 99% of PRS matches.

I would not have any concerns about running a 4-16 ATACR or 3-18 Gen 2 / Mk5 / etc. if I needed to. But as others have posted above, there are a lot of opportunities for weight savings in your stock and barrel as well.

not gonna save significant weight with a titanium action
i'd still go 26" but medium palma is a solid choice and saves some money over a carbon

price difference compared to weight savings. look at Ti action versus carbon barrel. same $400 but a pound or more versus a few ounces

elite fill on a PRS manners is a good choice or even the new XLR magnesium/carbon chassis

I have a Leupold 3x9x33 "compact" in silver matt finish that I am probably going to sell if you're interested.

Reactions: phlegm
Vortex AMG 6-24x50, Tangent Theta TT315m 3-15x50, March 3-24x52, Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44.

These are all under 30 ounces.

ILya
Have you had a chance to check out the NX8? According to the Nightforce website they will be getting the Mil-XT reticle in "fall"

Reactions: spearknives
I would highly suggest getting the vast majority of the weight savings from your barrel contour and a new manners carbon fiber stock. I had multiple top 10 finishes at 2 day matches with a rifle that weighed 14 lb. The scope weight savings isn't going to be that huge unless you are using a Vortex RZR gen II right now. The same goes for a lighter weight action. You can't save much weight getting a new action, but it costs a lot. You could save 4 pounds with a carbon stock and a medium palma barrel.

If I had to pick a lower weight scope I'd probably get a Vortex AMG or a Leupold Mark 5. Also, some of the lower magnification scopes like a 3-18 can be perfectly adequate for PRS and may weigh less.
I have a PM II 5-25x56. The reticle is a H2CMR and I wanted to try out a christmas tree reticle so a new scope will happen eventually. Most of the lower power versions of the 5-25 scopes are all still around the same weight and the ones intended to be lightweight don't seem to have PRS style christmas trees. The TT is christmas tree but not quite what I want. The AMG has a PRS style christmas tree and the NX8 seems like it will eventually get the option to be MilXT. I might do some research on the AMG and NX8 and see if there is anything standing out as to why you wouldn't want to use them.

The weight savings is def Barrel > Stock > Action/Scope so I see where you guys are coming from. But the Defiance is listed as 35 oz and the Razor Ti is listed as 20 oz (not 100% sure if that counts the rail or not). And the PM II is 38.6 oz and the NX8/AMG is 28ish oz. So it is not a negligible amount of weight savings, though it is expensive.

I def have a lot to think about, I just wanted to get some ideas for a scope to further look into.

I have a PM II 5-25x56. The reticle is a H2CMR and I wanted to try out a christmas tree reticle so a new scope will happen eventually. Most of the lower power versions of the 5-25 scopes are all still around the same weight and the ones intended to be lightweight don't seem to have PRS style christmas trees. The TT is christmas tree but not quite what I want. The AMG has a PRS style christmas tree and the NX8 seems like it will eventually get the option to be MilXT. I might do some research on the AMG and NX8 and see if there is anything standing out as to why you wouldn't want to use them.

The weight savings is def Barrel > Stock > Action/Scope so I see where you guys are coming from. But the Defiance is listed as 35 oz and the Razor Ti is listed as 20 oz (not 100% sure if that counts the rail or not). And the PM II is 38.6 oz and the NX8/AMG is 28ish oz. So it is not a negligible amount of weight savings, though it is expensive.

I def have a lot to think about, I just wanted to get some ideas for a scope to further look into.

While it is somewhat negligible, our Ultralight is around 26oz, and even the GA Hunter is only around 28oz.

The 18x XTR3 is 29oz.

But I really think you aren't saving much on your optic. There are tons of great scopes from 28 to 33ozs. Not much weight difference when you consider you can build a rifle without scope in any range from 7lbs to 17lbs based on your components.

The rifle is where its at.

Vortex Razor AMG is a very nice scope and fits this niche very well. Its what I'm using. As stated earlier, barrel is the heaviest part of the system on most guns. Weight helps mitigate recoil as well. Good luck.

Last edited:
There are good scopes for prs that are <=30 oz. Might as well save all the weight you can. Sure, it's just a few ounces, but a few ounces here and a few ounces there add up. Might as well get the titanium action too for the same reason. You have plenty of money to work with, so get what you want. Get the lightest gear you can that still meets the needs for what you are doing.

March Tactical 3-24x52 is about 24oz. Stellar glass and easy to use zero stop. I put one on my Vudoo V-22 and it has been great. Might be one to look into.

Reactions: Clint E.
March Tactical 3-24x52 is about 24oz. Stellar glass and easy to use zero stop. I put one on my Vudoo V-22 and it has been great. Might be one to look into.

I am revisiting the 3-24x52 March and like it quite a bit. I basically use it as a a 3-15x most of the time and only end up going to higher magnifications on rare occasions when the conditions allow me to do so or when I really want to examine mirage to read wind. That's kinda the advantage over scopes that do not go up to the same magnification. Higher mag is certainly not necessary, but nice to have sometimes.

ILya

I understand that in general 99% of PRS shooters want heavy rifles to mitigate recoil to help with seeing impacts but unfortunately I am a broken man with fucked up wrists and being at a disadvantage is better then not participating at all.

So, what would be your best choice for a light weight PRS style scope (FFP,, tree reticle, exposed turrets, has capable magnification for PRS style shooting, etc).

Let's say budget is 4K.

Bushnell 4.5-18 LRTSi

They can be had for much cheaper than MAP.

Most like more than 12x, but I think you’d be surprised with what you could do with 12x. Doug at Cameraland has the 3-12 LRTS for crazy low prices.

I have one of each. They track well, return to zero correctly and their glass is well above their price point. At 28 oz for the 4.5-18 and 26 for the 3-12, they are about as close as you’ll get in a PRS suitable scope as you’ll find.

John

OP, I do not shoot comps but have been in your shoes with the hunt for a good lightweight/long range optic. I used to have a cap at 30oz but then I raised it to 35oz which opened the door to many more optics.

For weight and glass the TT315M really has no equal except for its older sister the Premier LT which is hit and miss with warranty and the TT is going to have better turrets.

For something with a bit more mag but still lighter with really good glass the Vortex AMG stands out.

The Leupy Mark 5 is lighter but reticle selection is lacking, the new XTR III 5.5-30 has better FOV than most 5-25’s and is supposed to be the new hotness without breaking the scales.

The Minox ZP5 is a cousin to the TT525P but at 34oz. The ZCO ZC420 is also around 34oz but much shorter. The Schmidt 3-20’s are around 32oz and also excellent options but a bit lacking in reticles.

I understand weight is a concern due to some injuries but I’d recommend you look for the right features - forgiving eyebox/DOF/parallax, great reticle and repeatable turrets and go from there, if the scope you land on happens to be a few more ounces then you should be able to shave that off in your build.

Shaving weight or building light weight from scratch costs money & sometimes as pointed out above vis a vis titanium vs steel isn’t necessarily worth it.
I’m definitely all in for keeping weight down,but mate your weight savings to a calibre that doesn’t need weight to remain both manageable & competitive.
6mm BR would be one of my first pics to build a light weight rifle around.
Tonnes of great advice given to you already about optics selection,but it’s only one part of the equation-albeit an important one.
As to optics,I’d pick the Leupold Mk5 5-25x56 as the best bang for your buck,light weight,capable & leaves you change for other aspects in shaving weight off your rig.

Eotech Vudu 5-25X50. It's compact and weighs 29.5 ounces. Two reticles are available. The H-59 is a tree and they have a non-tree reticle with hash marks. They are about +/-$1700. new.

On the Optics portion of the SH PX they seem to run $1100-1300. That's a lot of value.

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet so sorry if it has but I would steer clear of a titanium action for this type of use. Titanium actions are not intended for high round counts.

Why is no one mentioning the Leupold Mark 6 3-18 at 23 oz? Seems like the best option for weight vs practical use to me.

Why is no one mentioning the Leupold Mark 6 3-18 at 23 oz? Seems like the best option for weight vs practical use to me.
The Mark 6 has a track record of inconsistent glass and IQ along with turrets that did not track correctly. I believe Leupold has rectified the turret/tracking issue for the most part with the latest iterations, but I think IQ is still spotty. So while spec's show this as a contender, real world experience and past history keep it off most people's lists.

Good too know. I have heard that they fixed the tracking and will fix old ones if you send them in with deficiencies in tracking. The feeling I am getting overall is that they dont stack up to other optics in their price class have earned a crap reputation. Bummer because they are so light I would love to put one on my christenson arms mpr. Still tempted to pick one up used on ebay because I want them to work so badly and a fool can dream right?

Good too know. I have heard that they fixed the tracking and will fix old ones if you send them in with deficiencies in tracking. The feeling I am getting overall is that they dont stack up to other optics in their price class have earned a crap reputation. Bummer because they are so light I would love to put one on my christenson arms mpr. Still tempted to pick one up used on ebay because I want them to work so badly and a fool can dream right?
Scott at Liberty Optics has the best deal I’ve seen on the Mark 6’s brand new

What do you want the rifle to weigh all up (rifle, optic, mounts, etc.), and what chambering?

What do you want the rifle to weigh all up (rifle, optic, mounts, etc.), and what chambering?
The plan was as light as possible while still maintaining PRS features (other then recoil reduction via heavy as fuck rifles) but I am going to be putting this project on hold indefinitely.

So long as you can cover the 10-15x magnification range the scope will honestly be everything you need for PRS, because PRS doesn't require high magnification. It's positional shooting while changing targets, you don't want to crank the zoom too high or you won't spot your trace or misses (especially in a lighter rifle).

The 5-20x50 Schmidt PMII Ultra Short weighs 29 oz. A bit better optical quality than the Vortex AMG if that's what you were hoping for, and a nice compact size to boot. I know several guys who use them for PRS matches with no issues at all.

The Schmidt 3-12x50 PMII weighs 25oz, and realistically I keep my 5-25 PMII set to 12x for every stage at every PRS match anyways (I only go higher or lower when spotting or zeroing really).

Reactions: jafo96