• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight rifle build. Is it really worth it?

long range newbie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2013
Oregon
So I'm planning to build a rifle in a little while and was wondering: Is it really worth it? So the plan was to use a badger action, proof research barrel, manners t4a all carbon fiber,timney trigger, and a titanium muzzle break. Its gonna be a 6.5 rsaum. I'm thinking its gonna weigh ~10-11lbs once it has a scope and rings on it. So basically I'm asking how could I saw money and weight on this cause as you guys know the lighter it gets the more expensive it costs. I think the rifle will look awesome. by the way its my brothers build so its not choice on components. Hes being really stubborn and only wants to have a 6br or 6.5 rsaum, any other suggestions on cartridge choice will be good ( he wants something different, good barrel life, shoots fast I know not many that do those good) Also any component suggestions will help to. Thanks again.

Drop the badger action will drop weight and cost, however it is a sweet action. I really like light weight builds.

if you want to do a lightweight build dont use a badger action, it will add a pound you dont need.

Just get a defiance or even soemthing like a win 70. Build off that, with a lightweight barrel and and manners t4a carbon fiber,

THat would be a sick build

I think Mike at Hells caynon armory in WA is building some awesome super light weight rifles.

I have a 7saum, surgeon action, 27" hawk hill barrel #4 taper, muzzle brake, manners eh1 stock, march 3-24ffp scope in Seekins rings that is 10lb on the dot.
10-11 lb should be achieved without too much hassle if you are just careful with component selection.

I have almost the same rifle being built at GAP right now; Badger 2013 action, Manners Elite 100% carbon T6a, and a Bartlein Gap #6 contour barrel in 6.5saum. Should be done by October, I can advise you on it's weight when it's finished. I would skip the Proof barrel, it will only save you approx 8oz and cost 3 times as much as a standard SS barrel.

The components you listed will make for a nice precision build but is far from what is considered a light weight build.

How about a tikka lite in a manners elite lightweight stock with top notch glass.

Cheap an light with a good action an barrel.

I have a 7saum, surgeon action, 27" hawk hill barrel #4 taper, muzzle brake, manners eh1 stock, march 3-24ffp scope in Seekins rings that is 10lb on the dot.
10-11 lb should be achieved without too much hassle if you are just careful with component selection.

Yep.

My 6.5SAUM weighs a smidge over 10 lbs, in 'tactical' config.
R700 SA, Bartlein #4, 24" Deep (Kampfeld) fluted barrel & bolt
A3 is standard fill, w/Triad stock pack, Surgeon DBM
Premier Lite Tac scope, Seekins base & rings

If I drop that same barreled action into a bedded Rem Ti stock w/factory BDL metal & Wyatts box, and swap over to Talley one pc. rings, that shaves another pound and a half off. Viola, sub 9 lb. badazz huntin' rifle...

It can be done, choose components wisely!

The Extreme Hunter will weigh between 9 and 9.5 lbs all up depending on your scope. Could go that route for lighter done righter...

My light weight TAC hunter.
pierce Ti SA with lightening option.
hart 28" barrel fluted with AAC flash hider.
Jewell trigger
manners T5a with mini-chassis, 100% carbon option
nightforce ultra light 34 mm rings
Steiner 5-25x56 MSR

weighs in at 11.97 lbs total.

NCM_0337-1.jpg