• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Lightweight rifle whitetail hunting optic

SPDSNYPR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2005
Oklahoma
I'm not a big deer hunter. I've shot a few in the past, and got over it (I don't like cold or early). If I'm up early in the cold, I'd rather be shooting ducks. But my father in law leases land to deer hunt, and wanted to take my son deer hunting this year. Cool - maybe he'll get into it.

Well, nothing I have screams "deer rifle." Most rifles I have are big and heavy. So I go to the Wal Marts (note the 's'), and pick up a Rem 700 ADL youth in .243 for almost nothing ($417). Hell - the action's worth that, and it comes with a stock, barrel, and trigger and everything. Even a scope and mounts. BTW - the scope sucks. I think the eye relief is measured in millimeters. Both of us get scope bit sighting the damned thing in - with a .243. Not hard, but I don't like getting hit in the head. The scope has to go.

So - I want a scope that will keep with the small, lightweight theme of the rifle. Back when I dabbled in the deer hunting the scope I used was a Leupold vari-x 2 3-9. I really like that scope - it was light, short, and the optics to my eye were really good. But the years have passed, and I don't know if the VX-2 line is as good. But that's kinda the scope I'm looking at right now. I like the small capped turrets, the eye relief, and smaller, lighter 1" tubes.

Is there something else I should be looking at? He's going to be hunting from a stand with an area of about 30 to maybe 200 yards available - so ballistic reticles aren't really needed. Again, small and light are good, but if someone makes a similarly priced scope that's better, point me in the right direction. I don't want to pay Swarovski prices, BTW - so nothing extravagant. Simple, small, solid, decent glass.

What say ye oh mighty hunters? What should I be looking at?

VX2 will work, the VX3 is a bit better glass and currently running a $80 rebate. The Redfield Revolution is pretty darn close to the VX2 in size, weight, turrets and Warranty, but under $200. All have plenty of eye relief.

Here are some pics I took a while back of a 3.5-10x40 vx3 and 3-9x40 revolution side by side. The revolution had been painted and then stripped, but there are some similarities in size and features.

54188d1346549492-leupold-vx-3-redfield-revolution-table-top-comparison-side1.jpg

54189d1346549492-leupold-vx-3-redfield-revolution-table-top-comparison-caps.jpg

54191d1346549492-leupold-vx-3-redfield-revolution-table-top-comparison-bottom.jpg

The image of the vx3 is obviously better but the revolution does hold its own.

54193d1346549555-leupold-vx-3-redfield-revolution-table-top-comparison-leu.jpg

54194d1346549555-leupold-vx-3-redfield-revolution-table-top-comparison-red.jpg

Yes, They are made at the same Leupold plant in Oregon, just wanted to point out how close they are in size and features. For a budget scope, they are rugged and get the job done. Will sit nicely on an ADL. The Revolution is made in the US, the Revenge is made in the Philippines.

The Steiner 2.5-10x42 Predator Extreme scope is similar pricing to the Leupy, glass is excellent, and it's a nice scope. It would do the job well, a friend of mine is using his on a Lazz Patriot (essentially 300WSM) and he smoked a really nice mule deer buck with it a couple weeks ago. One shot, DRT, the combo works well and the scope is pretty light.

Good luck in your quest, there's a bunch of scopes in the league you're looking at.

Another great option IMHO would be the Leupold FX II fixed 6x36 with duplex reticle or I really like their Long Range reticle, simple and works well. I've got a couple of them including this one which happens to be on a .243. Good glass and cost I think is about like the VX2 line.

The bushnell elites have glass comparable to the leupolds fwiw. Personally, I have always had vx-3s on my hunting rifles.

A Weaver 3-10x40 Mil Mil from Midway would be a good choice. It has better light transmission that a 5.5-22x56 Nightforce. I like mine a lot.

I was going to add Leupold to the topic, but that horse has been beaten. I'll just +1 to the Leupy comments above.

My favorite and most used is Leoupold Alaskan a fixed 3x out to 425 yards and never once needed or required any more magnification. I still have VX2s from the 70s that are still clear, sealed and hold zero.

VX2 2-7x
VX2 1-4x
VX3 2.5-8x
VX3 1-5x

Get the CDS option if you want that feature

I've got a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that is awesome.

It runs about $450 but with a current 10% off on OpticsPlanet you can get it for $405ish.

I also highly recommend checking out Optics Planet's Dealer Demo and open box special scopes. You can save a couple hundred dollars easily by going that route if you find something you like. Then put your 10% savings on top of that.

Funny how things work out. Eating breakfast with a friend who is a deer hunter, and he was complaining about how he wanted more magnification than his Nikon 3-9 BDC scope gave him. I told him I had been looking at scopes. He asked if I wanted to buy it for $100. He twisted my arm just right.

Much smaller than the crap on the rifle now, MUCH brighter optics, double the eye relief and about an inch shorter. Very light, handy scope for basically half what I'd pay new.