• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Lightweight Safari binos

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
My Father is going on Safari next year and as a retirement gift, I thought to get him good binos.

My challenge is weight is limited on the trip, so trying to find good observation device with very low weight. Maybe 500 - 1000 price. Wildlife viewing, handheld. Obviously needs to be fairly robust, but nothing crazy.

Is he going on a photo safari or hunting? The photo safari will have the critters close. If hunting then a different set of issues. I agree with Doug that Leica Trinovid has some great choices. I always had a small set in my pocket of the 10-25. This was all I needed when we got off the rig and started a "walk." I also had a full size set for other reasons. I used Leica, swaro and zeiss on my safari's. If pushed I might give the edge to the swaro.

Regards, Steve

Is he going on a photo safari or hunting? The photo safari will have the critters close. If hunting then a different set of issues. I agree with Doug that Leica Trinovid has some great choices. I always had a small set in my pocket of the 10-25. This was all I needed when we got off the rig and started a "walk." I also had a full size set for other reasons. I used Leica, swaro and zeiss on my safari's. If pushed I might give the edge to the swaro.

Regards, Steve
Sightseeing/wildlife viewing

I think, as usual, Doug is correct. I would recommend the Leica Trin in either 8x32 or 10x32. The 8 is a bit lighter. My follow up would be the Zeiss conquest in either 10x32 or 8x32.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: DocRDS
I love my Maven 8x30’s, they punch way above their class in quality, outside of Maven it’s really the European big 3 - Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss

What’s cool with Maven is you can customize colors and build something really unique